Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to open my trunk in the Pilot and I hear cruuunnnch! I check out the noise and it looks like there was a dimple in the plastic housing that holds the third brake light. When the Trunk door opened it made contact with the top of the roof and caused a dent in my roof and shredded part of the plastic holder for the taillight. Has this happened to anyone else??

·
Registered
920 Posts
Nope-

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
nope...could we "warranty work" time for you:3: :3:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That's a new one!

Bummer!:3:

·
Registered
415 Posts
OUCH!!! :eek:
How in the heck did that happen? Did the tailgate hinges come off of alignment? It doesn't look like an accident caused it so may be able to get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wow, that's a serious problem. It definitely should be under warranty for repairs. Make sure the dealer fixes not only the door, but also the paint damange on the roof.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm

Those pics are so close, I have a hard time seeing what your showing :(
But sounds like u have a legit beef. Please keep us all informed of what the outcome is so if there is anything we can do to keep the same from happening, WE CAN!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh damn.... that's one dirty roof...

Hope you get it cleaned right away...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It definitely should be under warranty for repairs. Make sure the dealer fixes not only the door, but also the paint damange on the roof.
Well, the wife took it to Tampa Hondaland and they refused to fix it.
They said it looks like something dented the plastic and they won't cover it.

First of all, unless ice fell from an airplane and struck the top of my car, there is NO way something could have dented it, it's been sitting in my driveway for 4 weeks because my wife is on maternity leave. Second, how do you dent plastic?? The "dent" was caused by the trunk opening and making the horrible contact with the roof!

I love Honda's but with this kind of treatment from the dealers and the less than stellar build quality coming from Honda since they've brought operations to the US and Canada, I'll be buying something else in the future.

Even the Acura dealer replaced my transmission syncros a few years back on my Integra with no questions asked.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Was the spoiler/light not attached properly?

I am trying to figure out how it hit the roof?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have to agree with the dealer on this one. Unless your door is falling off of the hinges, there is no way that the door hit the roof.
Even if it did hit the roof, the edge of the body is not sharp enough to put that kind of gouge into the plastic.
My guess would be there was something like a branch or in my neighborhood, a kids toy that got into the crack. When you opened the door it got mashed in the crack.

Reason 4,652 for parking it in the garage!!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
N_Jay said:
Was the spoiler/light not attached properly?

I am trying to figure out how it hit the roof?
I'm kinda lost, too. Can you do some more pics for us?

One from farther back, to give us an idea of the area we're looking at, and then maybe a few snapshots with the hatch in motion as it makes contact?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
total package said:
Yes, I have the same problem. Seems worse when the temperature of the outside of the car is hot. When the car is cool it does not bind.

Mine is black, and when the temperature gets into the 90's it actually warps the plastic.

The dealer told me sorry, something must have gotten stuck in
there..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry

Those pics are so close it is impossible for me to see what your talking about. Are you saying you got a dent on the top of your vechile from the tailgate?

:confused: :2: :confused: :2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Sorry

Harddrv said:
Those pics are so close it is impossible for me to see what your talking about. Are you saying you got a dent on the top of your vechile from the tailgate?

It does look to me like something was in the space between the hatch and the roof.
I also see no way for a properly attached air deflector on a properly attached hatch could ever touch the roof.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Sorry

Harddrv said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Sorry

N_Jay said:

It does look to me like something was in the space between the hatch and the roof.
I also see no way for a properly attached air deflector on a properly attached hatch could ever touch the roof.
I can confirm there weren't any foreign bodies lodged between the hatch and the roof.

When it gets very hot outside my deflector warps badly and yes it caused contact between the roof.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts