Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New plugs question

1457 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  royalbiggster
2006 Honda Pilot Ex 2wd - 213k miles and no records of when plugs were changed but only getting 15 mpg so I was thinking of changing PCV valve and plugs. Rock auto has many choices but was wondering if the Denso plugs are a good option?
One was DENSO 4701 Iridium TT; Pre-Set Gap: 0.040" .
Thanks
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
05 EX-L
637 Posts
Depends on where you go. It is a lengthy process, and requires a lot to get to it, and knowledge on how to do it. Do not go to someone that hasn't done it a lot. It isn't a standard service on many engines, and requires a skilled hand to get it right. Clearing the carbon from the EGR system, and cleaning the carbon from the Throttle Body should be done at this time as well. A good Honda mechanic can do all this in roughly 3-5 hours, and most it is more. Expect to pay at least $500 to have these services done all together. It isn't parts it is labor. About $10-50 in gaskets, and another $10-20 in cleaning material. If the mechanic doesn't know how to do it, they will make it worse. You have to be real careful who you let do this job. You can do it yourself for a lot less, and learn a new skill in the process. Being your vehicle, you will take a day or two to get it all done correctly, and learn a new skill in the process. There are great write-ups and videos here to help if you want to go that route. There are many people on here that had to do it themselves, because the mechanic they paid did it wrong, and made things worse.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Depends on where you go. It is a lengthy process, and requires a lot to get to it, and knowledge on how to do it. Do not go to someone that hasn't done it a lot. It isn't a standard service on many engines, and requires a skilled hand to get it right. Clearing the carbon from the EGR system, and cleaning the carbon from the Throttle Body should be done at this time as well. A good Honda mechanic can do all this in roughly 3-5 hours, and most it is more. Expect to pay at least $500 to have these services done all together. It isn't parts it is labor. About $10-50 in gaskets, and another $10-20 in cleaning material. If the mechanic doesn't know how to do it, they will make it worse. You have to be real careful who you let do this job. You can do it yourself for a lot less, and learn a new skill in the process. Being your vehicle, you will take a day or two to get it all done correctly, and learn a new skill in the process. There are great write-ups and videos here to help if you want to go that route. There are many people on here that had to do it themselves, because the mechanic they paid did it wrong, and made things worse.
[/QUOT
I have seen a couple of yt videos and it looks like a lot of labor. Will have to think hard before attempting.

· Registered
18 Posts
As the engine is an interference fit where Valves can hit pistons if timing belt breaks has it had the timing belt changed which is due I think at 100000 kilometers or about 60000 miles or 7 years?
As my 2013 started to make a noise for about 30 seconds on startup that was indicated to be the hydraulic tensioner not immediately tensioning the belt I had the belt changed had about 95000 Kilometers or about 60,000 miles and as well that made it more than 7 years old. Due to suggestions on this list I had the water pump changed at same time as well as sparkplugs due at 100,000 k and the Accessories belt. In addition they replaced the Antifreeze. We had Honda do it but had to question initial quote as they basically quoted each as individual services and the idea behind the water pump replacement is they have the things off already to replace the Timing belt and Hydraulic tensioner. Also they had extra labour to replace the accessories belt which would also be taken off to replace timing belt. Once those were corrected we went ahead. I suggest the SimplyAuto.app Gold to track everything including fuel mileage, (requires you to have a Google mail account which is free), I even use it to schedule the House Maintenance (using year-mo-day where mileage settings needed to mimic a vehicle)

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As the engine is an interference fit where Valves can hit pistons if timing belt breaks has it had the timing belt changed which is due I think at 100000 kilometers or about 60000 miles or 7 years?
As my 2013 started to make a noise for about 30 seconds on startup that was indicated to be the hydraulic tensioner not immediately tensioning the belt I had the belt changed had about 95000 Kilometers or about 60,000 miles and as well that made it more than 7 years old. Due to suggestions on this list I had the water pump changed at same time as well as sparkplugs due at 100,000 k and the Accessories belt. In addition they replaced the Antifreeze. We had Honda do it but had to question initial quote as they basically quoted each as individual services and the idea behind the water pump replacement is they have the things off already to replace the Timing belt and Hydraulic tensioner. Also they had extra labour to replace the accessories belt which would also be taken off to replace timing belt. Once those were corrected we went ahead. I suggest the SimplyAuto.app Gold to track everything including fuel mileage, (requires you to have a Google mail account which is free), I even use it to schedule the House Maintenance (using year-mo-day where mileage settings needed to mimic a vehicle)
My sister used to own this car and said that Timing belt and the works were changed at 181k in late Dec 2015. Currently 213k.
I thought Honda interval for Timing belt change was 100k miles?
Thank for your input. I will look at the app, it sounds like a good thing to have. Currently keep all car maintenance logs in Excel.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts