Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New Piloteer incoming. Look at a potential first gen pilot for purchase. Appears to be a gem... not sure

446 5
Hello Piloteers,

I was once a lurker and now I'm a new member. I have been doing some research in to find a good used SUV for Myself and 4 kiddos (yea i've been fruitful). While i was researching I discovered the first gen pilots. They are reasonably reliable if well kept, they look cool with their boxy design, AWD is an option and they offer more offroad capability than a minivan.

So, armed with my First-Gen Pilot Buyer's Guide Checklist I embarked on the quest of finding one in good shape. I've looked at 12 pilots since starting and think i might have found "the one."

I'd like to post some details and photos of the pilot below and see what you guys have to say. I want to make sure i'm not blinded by my excitement to finally own one of these gems and make sure I get a quality one.

Details:
year: 2008
Price: 8700 CAD 6454.24 USD
Kilometers: 169000 (105,000 miles)
Carfax: Clean, no accidents, no service records other than yearly Krown rust proofing.
Sale: As traded, no warranty, no safety at a local Acura dealership, no additional details provided by the dealership.

Negatives: Absolutely 0 service history on carfax. However it appears to be meticulously maintained. Potential fluttering sound? Video of sound

Upon my initial inspection I noticed that the brakes, tires, shocks, and some steering/suspension components are brand new. Xpel has been installed on the sides to prevent rust, body in great condition, interior very clean. The engine does have a sound but it may just be the way this thing idles. I'll try and include a video.
Test drive: Drove around town with lots of stop and go, observed 0 clunking, shifts very smooth. Highway, smooth, no clunks, acceleration and deceleration resulted in smooth shifts up and down. Brakes and steering were tight, no pulling in either direction.

Checked fluids, air filter, serpentine belt
Trans, Coolant, Power Steering, Brake, Engine oil all at max level and appear brand new and clean.

Subframe appears to be OK but i'm new and not sure entirely what i'm lookng at underneath.

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Window

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Car seat cover Automotive design
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Tints and shades

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Automotive exterior

Thank you all so much. Apologize for the massive post.. Just want to make sure before I pull the trigger. You are awesome :)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I thought I was doing the right thing by bring the car to Honda for the timing belt… and now it sound a like the car isn’t timer properly.. makes a scratching sound under load and lots ticking… nice 👍 tried to do right and got screwed. What do you guys recommend I do?

Is there a way I can share video on here to show?

· Registered
898 Posts
What do you guys recommend I do?
I think that one of the universal rules for life on earth is "more of a bad thing won't make it better".

There's lots of mechanics in the world. Don't go back to a bad one, unless you're pretty confident that you can get the service manager at the dealer to take a ride with you, and he'll hear what you hear.

Probably not a huge deal, though. Your risk is a lot lower than driving around on a 20-year old timing belt.

· Registered
05 EX-L
550 Posts
So I thought I was doing the right thing by bring the car to Honda for the timing belt… and now it sound a like the car isn’t timer properly.. makes a scratching sound under load and lots ticking… nice 👍 tried to do right and got screwed. What do you guys recommend I do?

Is there a way I can share video on here to show?
What year, and yes. Make video in Youtube, and post link in post. Do not hyperlink the link it will automatically do it, and insert the video. Start a new post in the correct generation forum, and you will get better results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts