Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I justed wanted to say that this has been a great site for info and it helped me decide on my purchase of a 2004 Pilot EX (in Starlight Silver Metallic.) Bought it last night and was amazed at how it handles more like a sedan than a 2 ton sport ute on the 30 mile drive back home.

One question...has anyone installed a set of the exhaust finishers for the tail pipes? I'm not too thrilled with the ones that come factory and I like how these "Genuine Honda" tips look similar to the tailpipes on the 2003 MDX. The installation instructions on these says it is held in place by a single screw that makes a pressure fit. I'm wondering how secure these are and if anyone has had any problems with them. Also, aren't the tailpipes on the Pilot pitched downwards? Wouldn't this make the exhaust finishers pitch downwards, as well; thus making them look "silly."

·
Registered
116 Posts
I spent $4 each for a pair of chrome exhaust tips. I bought them from local Autozone store. Only one screw is used to install the tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's another picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow Piloteers
I also purchased my new 04 Midnight Blue Pilot with RES a couple of weeks ago after going back and forth between the Pilot and 04 MDX for almost 2 months!!
Prior to the Pilot I had a 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 which was a hell lot bigger (and bumpier truck ride) so the Pilot was a refreshing change and the kids love the DVD system so its been great when we go out. The wife and I can finally have a conversation now without getting interrupted or attending to the cries and screams of our 2 & 3 yr olds!!

I wanted also to share why I bought a Pilot instead of the MDX just incase some people are also debating between the two.
My main reason to go with the Pilot was because of the headroom and also legroom for the 3rd row. I am 6ft3' and have tall(er) people in my family. The headroom in the Pliot as per Specs is approx 2 inches more than the MDX (MDX has sunroof) and it made a big difference for me. When I sat in the 2nd row seat of the MDX my hair was brushing the headliner and it just didn't feel comfortable being so close to the top. For taller people this will be bothersome especially for long rides. You can however recline the seat a bit but then I didn't like sitting like that either.
In reality the Pilot feels like it has more headroom than what the specs say. The same applies to the legroom in the second row - the Pilot just seems to be more roomier all around. It even has a bigger cargo space than the MDX.

Another great feature on the 04 Pilot is that you can slide the second row forward (both benches) and this gives the people in the 3rd row more legroom. The 04 MDX does not have this feature but instead has only one side sliding a little further than before to allow easier access to the 3rd row.
So practically speaking, the Pilot made more sense for me than the MDX because I have tall people in the family and I like the idea of more legroom in the 3rd row when I need it. One negative on both vehicles is that the steering didn't tilt high enough for me but its just going to take some getting used to.

If you don't have issues with headroom or legroom I would certainly advise choosing the MDX (but for around $11k or more) than the Pilot because of the cool extras that come standard on it. But if you don't want to financially stretch yourself unnecessarily, the Pilot is best vehicle out there because it is just as safe and reliable as the MDX and also gets the same gas mileage. (One thing to note though, 04 MDX does have side curtain airbags in second and third row which the Pilot does not have :( )

For those planning to buy a Pilot, consider Running boards & rear splash guards as your upgrade options. The other one if you 'need' it, is the auto day/night rear view mirror. You can see some pictures in a couple of threads of how the installation looks... I did not like the way the wires were visible so I opted out of this upgrade - hopefully they will have a better one out soon.
What to get for Free (insist on it):
Rear splash guards, cargo tray and the paint/fabric protection (this is a neat thing coz it makes the inside look 'permanently' armoralled apart from its other advantages). If you can squeeze more out of your salesman, good for you!

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their Pilot as I am and I look forward to reading all the great stories and advise on this site. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Picked up my Pilot (same model same color) yesterday. It handles great. Does anyone know if when the 3rd row is down that the seatbelts are suppose to just hang on the back or if they is someone to latch them to that i am missing.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Johnwarre said:
Congrats on your purchase. Picked up my Pilot (same model same color) yesterday. It handles great. Does anyone know if when the 3rd row is down that the seatbelts are suppose to just hang on the back or if they is someone to latch them to that i am missing.

Thanks
Congrats and Welcome! A few threads discuss third row seatbelts. Doing a search on seatbelts reveals several threads discussing this, with photos, including this one, as well as this one.

Enjoy the new ride.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts