Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven a Jeep TJ as a daily for the last few years- I love that car and it's never let me down, but I can see the appeal of a 'normal' car. Half hour commute isn't terrible, but $100/wk on gas is.
Luckily for me, my mom is looking to get rid of her 2012 Pilot, I'll be buying it from her in a couple of weeks. ~130K, she's driven it like a granny and taken good care of it.
I put heated seats in my TJ for $50, will definitely be doing that to the pilot as well. I also want a radio that will bluetooth to my phone.
I also made a phone cradle with a wireless charger in it (3D printed it), and would like to do the same to the pilot.
The way I set this up in my Jeep was I had a bus bar with a relay connecting it to the battery- wired to the key, so nothing draws power when the engine is off.
However, I would like to do a clean install. Behind the glovebox/knee bolster/fuse box in my TJ looks like a rats nest (which I will fix when I have a second car).

Are you all aware of where I'd be able to stick a small bus bar, and if there's a fuse I can tap into that's in series with the key?
Also, how can I get power from the battery to the cab without drilling through the firewall? If it makes a difference, it'll be probably ~250W of power. In the Jeep I ran a power wire through a pretty meaty grommet- not sure that the Pilot will have a grommet like this, as they never made them with a manual transmission as an option. She had the car when I was in high school, but I never got a chance to poke around.

Also, what are some known defects that this generation of Pilot is known for? I'd like to address them before it's too late, especially since I have time to fix them now.

If anybody's interested I'd be happy to post updates once I get everything figured out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Sorry that no one has responded to you. Honestly, I read your post earlier and a million things go through my mind. Probably why no one else has responded. Lol
What a great deal you have here, getting this vehicle from a loving close family member. There is a lot of information I would need to help you proceed.
Has the following items been replaced?
timing belt and water pump (kit) (most important!)
When (If) the water pump is done, flush cooling system with distilled water, and replace antifreeze.
Spark plugs
Sepintine belt (inspect tensioner pully)
Transmission fluid
Transfer case fluid (If all-wheel drive)
Power steering fluid
Brake pads (inspect rotors)
Brake fluid
Did I say timing belt and water pump? (Whole Kit)
The other big whammy on these vehicles is the transmission fluid is cooled through the radiator. If the radiator should fail Antifreeze can be drawn into the transmission killing it. It's rare, but can happen. If you got time and money, replace it with a new Denso radiator.
Did I mention the timing belt and water pump? (Aisin Kit, with new tensioner and bearings) If this fails, severe engine damage can occur.
I may have missed something but I'm sure somebody else will jump in. Love Moms!
Sorry, I don't know much about all those other things you want to do.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Are you all aware of where I'd be able to stick a small bus bar, and if there's a fuse I can tap into that's in series with the key?
Also, how can I get power from the battery to the cab without drilling through the firewall? If it makes a difference, it'll be probably ~250W of power. In the Jeep I ran a power wire through a pretty meaty grommet- not sure that the Pilot will have a grommet like this, as they never made them with a manual transmission as an option.
For a safe, reliable powered relay box setup check out my post about an auxiliary switch box. Relays+fused 12V power mount under the hood then enters the vehicle with a single wrapped cable through a rubber grommet on the firewall then connects to a 4-6 switch box that controls 12V accessories like light bars, driving lights, cb, etc. All accessories hooked to relay box are powered down with the key off. Overlanding and owning a Wrangler helped me decide this relay box system can be successfully installed in my Pilot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry that no one has responded to you. Honestly, I read your post earlier and a million things go through my mind. Probably why no one else has responded. Lol
What a great deal you have here, getting this vehicle from a loving close family member. There is a lot of information I would need to help you proceed.
Has the following items been replaced?
timing belt and water pump (kit) (most important!)
When (If) the water pump is done, flush cooling system with distilled water, and replace antifreeze.
Spark plugs
Sepintine belt (inspect tensioner pully)
Transmission fluid
Transfer case fluid (If all-wheel drive)
Power steering fluid
Brake pads (inspect rotors)
Brake fluid
Did I say timing belt and water pump? (Whole Kit)
The other big whammy on these vehicles is the transmission fluid is cooled through the radiator. If the radiator should fail Antifreeze can be drawn into the transmission killing it. It's rare, but can happen. If you got time and money, replace it with a new Denso radiator.
Did I mention the timing belt and water pump? (Aisin Kit, with new tensioner and bearings) If this fails, severe engine damage can occur.
I may have missed something but I'm sure somebody else will jump in. Love Moms!
Sorry, I don't know much about all those other things you want to do.
I'll ask her. I think the serpentine belt has been replaced in the last year or so, I'll ask her about those other things. I definitely plan on flushing the transmission, 130K shouldn't be much for a Honda but I want it to last as long as possible.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
Note that Honda recommends a 3x drain and fill, driving a few miles between each, as opposed to a full flush with the machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts