Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot EX-L Nav is being built this week. As Honda has just introduced the new Accord and announced the new MDX with the new voice activated navigation system, I would like to know if the Pilot will still get stuck with the old Nav system(the one without voice activation). If this is so, I will have to ask the dealer for my deposit back. Or if anyone wants to buy a sage brush w/ nav at msrp let me know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Before you cancel

I do not know if the Pilot would receive a mid-year model change on the nav. It sounds pretty unlikely to me though. You may want to check the MDX site to read the threads that discuss upgrading from the 02 MDX nav to the newer one. There was alot of discussion there about whether there is going to be a lot of difference between the old and new system. Most interesting to me was the notion that with a new system it would have a larger capacity and contain all minor road details throughout the country. Voice activation doesn't sound that great to me - it never has. The true worth of the system for me is how fast it is and how complete and detailed it is. Entering the info for a location is not too bad now - especially around home where all I do is enter the phone number of a business establishment and go. Good luck!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Buffagm1 said:
My Pilot EX-L Nav is being built this week. As Honda has just introduced the new Accord and announced the new MDX with the new voice activated navigation system, I would like to know if the Pilot will still get stuck with the old Nav system(the one without voice activation). If this is so, I will have to ask the dealer for my deposit back. Or if anyone wants to buy a sage brush w/ nav at msrp let me know.
Then you might as well start asking because you are gonna get the old one. Sorry...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm pretty sure....

Buffagm1 said:
.......they will not change the Navi until the model year change for the pilot as it needs the dash, steering wheel etc. to be reworked to incorporate the touch-by-voice functions and microphone. Additionally the new Nav has different hardware (dual layer DVD drive and a 12-channel GPS receiver for better accuracy and much improved storage space for the database - 8+GB)

If you're like me, and consider the NAV system one of the MOST IMPORTANT features of the vehicle, I'd either suggest you spend the extra cash and go with an '03 MDX, or wait till the next model year Pilot (which could very possibly be realeased in early to mid 2003,.......or they might very well wait till FALL of next year and give it a "regular release" which would give it a 1.5 yr. model run for the current 2003 - I would say unlikely)

However, here's something to consider: The new NEXT-GENERATION Navi is very substantially improved over the previous unit, in the very important areas of accuracy (12-channel GPS), speed of calculation (more than 3 times faster) and greatly enhanced map coverage (now covers every single road in the ENTIRE U.S. to STREET-LEVEL-DETAIL), as well as the Point-Of-Interest coverage is almost doubled (over 7 millions POIs). As Mkell pointed out, the "Voice-Activation" feature, while still being a nice addition, is relatively insignificant when compared to the other more important enhancements, mentioned above.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Vic Pai

Interesting...are you sure it is going to have all the map detail? Last I checked on the MDX site there was some question about it. If this is the case I'm going to start wondering about an upgrade option for the Pilot in the not too distant future. With regard to the POIs, I wonder if they will do a good job updating the database over time. It is an amazing amount of data to keep fresh. I can see it now...I'm in podunk somewhere and look to the NAV for the nearest place to eat. I then drive there and it's gone. That would, lets just say, not be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts