Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a card in the mail yesterday from my dealer (not my fleet guy) inviting me to a "New Owner's Clinic".

"This clinic wil familiarize you with your car's operating features and maintenance requirements. Reception will immediately follow in the Customer Lounge."

I'm sure this is for all buyers, not just Pilot buyers. I suspect that it will just be a propaganda thing to get you to use them for service and do a lot of unnecessary service.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
New Owner's hype

I went to the 'new owner's clinic' here - It was for everyone that had purchased a new Honda (of any type) from the dealer in the previous two weeks - they obviously sell too many cars to hold the clinics once a month and not enough to hold them weekly.

Clinic was pure propaganda - They tell us that Raleigh is a severe driving zone, but only if you start your car. Also told us that if you don't service your car every 2 to 3 thousand miles the sky will fall and it will be your fault. AND you really DO need to purchase the extended warranty tonight for $1800. Etc, etc. etc....

Two good things came out of the clinic - Pizza was good and I got a certificate for a free 7500 mile checkup (I guess that would be my third oil change according to their severe driving schedule). :rolleyes:

I now have 1500 miles on the Pilot and am getting 18.22 mpg in the city and just over 24 on the highway (cruise set at 77 mph). Not bad for a car that's not broken in yet.

One thing that may be making a difference in the mileage - I do not ever do rabbit starts or sudden stops. (In other words, I drive this car a lot more sanely than I every thought about driving the Prelude.)

Love my car so far and I'm sure you'll love yours too.

JJ

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: New Owner's hype

raleighpilot said:
Clinic was pure propaganda - They tell us that Raleigh is a severe driving zone, but only if you start your car. Also told us that if you don't service your car every 2 to 3 thousand miles the sky will fall and it will be your fault. AND you really DO need to purchase the extended warranty tonight for $1800. Etc, etc. etc....

Two good things came out of the clinic - Pizza was good and I got a certificate for a free 7500 mile checkup (I guess that would be my third oil change according to their severe driving schedule). :rolleyes:
As I suspected... So how much time do I have to invest to get free pizza and a free 7500 mile checkup?... and did that include the oil change and ATM fluid change or just the checkup?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Free 7500 mile checkup

The 'seminar' took approximately an hour.

The free 7500 mile checkup is supposed to be everything on the maintenance list in your owner's manual - I don't have my owner's manual in front of me but if I remember correctly the ATM oil change is at 15000 miles.

Being one of the original cheap skates I thought the free checkup was worth an hour of my time.

JJ

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Free 7500 mile checkup

raleighpilot said:
The 'seminar' took approximately an hour.

The free 7500 mile checkup is supposed to be everything on the maintenance list in your owner's manual - I don't have my owner's manual in front of me but if I remember correctly the ATM oil change is at 15000 miles.

Being one of the original cheap skates I thought the free checkup was worth an hour of my time.

JJ
Ah, would that be VTM fluid you and F_G are talking about???:2:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
My dealer runs a New Owners Clinic, and everyone in attendance gets a coupon for a free first oil change. The great thing about it is that they let you tour the shop and see vehicles like yours on the rack, and ask the mechanics questions. When I bought mine in June of 2002, they were in such demand that the dealer didn't have any to put on the rack. I let them use mine, and spent 30 minutes looking at all sorts of things on it and asking an abundance of questions. I found it very informative.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also attended one at my dealer. I think they vary from dealer to dealer, because they did it for Honda, GMC and Pontiac, all on the same night.
It was about 1-1/2 hours. About 1/2 hour was propaganda and the other time was spent in the shop with the mechanics.

The coolest part was that they set off an airbag. This is what I went for.

They had a drawing and gave away some freebies (ice scrapers, windshield washer, etc...), but the airbag was worth it (the kid in me showing through).

G.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Free 7500 mile checkup

colorider said:

Ah, would that be VTM fluid you and F_G are talking about???:2:
Its that stuff that does that stuff for the dohickey that has something to do with the four wheel drive thingy. :bonk:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jay said:
My dealer runs a New Owners Clinic, and everyone in attendance gets a coupon for a free first oil change. The great thing about it is that they let you tour the shop and see vehicles like yours on the rack, and ask the mechanics questions. When I bought mine in June of 2002, they were in such demand that the dealer didn't have any to put on the rack. I let them use mine, and spent 30 minutes looking at all sorts of things on it and asking an abundance of questions. I found it very informative.:)
Thanks. I guess I'll call my fleet guy and find out what is involved in their particular one to decide if its worth my time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts