Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got into snowboarding last year, I had been debating whether or not to get an SUV. When Honda announced the Pilot, I thought it was the perfect fit for my needs, but dealer markups and my preference for the more expensive Acura MDX kept us from buying a Pilot...until this past weekend. :D

My Honda Family:

On a related note, anyone interested in a low-mileage '97 Civic HX?

And I've been trying to come up with a clever way of doing a personalized plate for the SUV that clearly means "NSX Pilot"...

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
good choice...congrats

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome!

Nice Ride!!!!

Welcome to the group of proud PILOTeers!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
akira3d:

What a perfect set of Automobiles you have!

Jealous here in Washington!

Congratulations

·
Registered
409 Posts
Greetings & Welcome!

Great shot of the family. I just love family pictures.

I think you will be impressed at the addition of your new Pilot. It is one fine ride. I have to admit I am impressed with your Acura...always have been a fan of the styling of that car...and Red? Fantastic. Looks good with the Pilot.

Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grand said:
Nice cars...Where's your three car garage?:confused:
Unfortunately, I only have a two car garage (for the NSX and IS300)...which means the Pilot gets stuck outside :eek: and the Civic has to go :(.

Hopefully a bigger house with a three or four car garage is in my future...but such homes are too damn expensive around here.

More pics (my wife is driving):

Now I just have to decide whether or not to get Honda or Yakima cross bars...since I want to get a Yakima rack (probably the Lift Ticket 6) for four snowboards. I'm taking the Pilot to Mammoth this weekend...

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
akira3d said:

Unfortunately, I only have a two car garage (for the NSX and IS300)...which means the Pilot gets stuck outside :eek: and the Civic has to go :(.
Get a lift.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a lift.
Good suggestion...I have a few friends in the NSX Club that use lifts to squeeze more cars into their garages. Unfortunately, my garage is barely tall enough for the Pilot...I couldn't stack two cars in there (even if they were both NSXs).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got a deal for you....

Since you don't have a 3 car garage, I'll trade you my '91 Acura Legend with 195,000 miles on the odometer straight up for your NSX:D! Sorry, don't need another Pilot (ours is the same color as yours) or Civic (just donated my '90 Civic w/ 260,000 miles to charity).

Start looking for a full size spare tire. I bought a brand new one from another LX owner who was upgrading to 17" rims/tires for about $100. If you plan on taking the Pilot up to the mountains, talk to a local tire shop about swapping your Bridgestones for some all terrain tires. The OEM tires are basically all season tires and aren't considered snow or all terrain tires. That way you can avoid having to carry cables or chains when the roads are too slippery.

I kept the original tires (dummy me!:( ), so I went with the tire chain routine. However, 95% of our planned driving is street/freeway, so maybe we'll get by until the tires wear out.

I got my set of tire chains at www.tirechains.com. I went with the diamond pattern chains instead of the cables because of a bad experience I had with installing cables previously. The chains were "S" rated and very easy to install.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Got a deal for you....

Start looking for a full size spare tire.
I didn't think about that...

The OEM tires are basically all season tires and aren't considered snow or all terrain tires.
Most of the people I know who regularly frequent Mammoth said that all season tires will do fine in most situations...and they don't bother carrying chains. Exactly what kind of conditions will require snow tires or chains? And how do snow tires ride in general (can you tell I'm from sunny SoCal)?

However, 95% of our planned driving is street/freeway, so maybe we'll get by until the tires wear out.
Likewise.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The tires

The factory tires got me from DE to IL through the PA mountains during last Sunday's storm with no problems.

No thay are not the best, but they are far better than the worst I have had.

As for the Yokos on my CR-V. I am aimming for broken glass!! :D
(Wife wont let me replace them till i NEED to!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
All season tires are basically your SUV version of street tires. They are quieter than snow tires and generally handle better. What you can do right now is to trod down to your favorite tire store and use your all season tires as a trade in on a set of all terrain tires.

The DMV has 3 classes of conditions for driving in snow weather. Here is a link to a website that describes them.

http://www.tirechains.com/california-chain-requirement.htm

Most likely, no one will ever have to drive in a R3 condition. The CHP and DMV will close the road before the weather ever gets that bad.

But definitely get a full size tire/rim to replace the compact spare tire if you're going to play in the snow. The spare tire will basically render useless the AWD feature in snow/ice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will never sell my NSX...and my wife loves her IS300 (so I doubt she'll want to sell it any time soon either) :D

Speaking of the IS300:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Speaking of tires and the NSX

Did they every fix that rear tire toe issue? I heard of some people going through their rear tires in about 3000 miles. Was that the case with yours?

BTW, good looking set of cars there. For me, the perfect combo is a very capable SUV and a two-seater sports car. If you've got the moolah, then a sporty sedan should be thrown into the mix. The closest I can get is with my Pilot, my V6 Camry and Sega GT 2002.

Congrats and welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Speaking of tires and the NSX

Did they every fix that rear tire toe issue? I heard of some people going through their rear tires in about 3000 miles. Was that the case with yours?
Yes and no. The tire issue is directly linked with the NSX's superb handling...in other words, the car's geometry was designed largely to sacrifice the tires for grip. They did make minor adjustments to the alignment in 1993 to increase tire tread life without sacrificing much.

I only got 6,250 miles on my first set of rears...I think this was largely because I wasn't paying close enough attention to keeping them properly inflated. That said, I replaced all four at roughly 14,000 miles...which included several spirited drives and an autocross. But, if you ask me, replacing the rears every 7,500 miles is a small sacrifice for an otherwise amazing NSXperience.

BTW, good looking set of cars there. For me, the perfect combo is a very capable SUV and a two-seater sports car.
I couldn't agree more. When you have a two-seater, you need an SUV to make up for the limited cargo and passenger carrying capacity...especially if you have a family. Of course, my wife and I don't have kids...but I know this did cross my wife's mind.

If you've got the moolah, then a sporty sedan should be thrown into the mix. The closest I can get is with my Pilot, my V6 Camry and Sega GT 2002.
Oooh...an X-Box fan. Did I mention that I work for one of Sony's game developers? :p

A funny side note is that I first "bought" an NSX in the original PlayStation Gran Turismo on the very same day I brought home my real NSX-T. :2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts