Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Nav
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!!
I am a new owner of a 2017 Pilot (EX-L w/Nav) with about 45K miles on it. Have been lurking the forum for the past week or so - learning all I can on the must-do's for the vehicle (SVCM, Flush ATF etc) and creating a list for myself.

Did quite a bit of research on all three row SUVs and found the Pilot the best of the bunch for my use : Space + Seating + AWD. It was either this or the Toyota Sienna AWD - but that has one seat less, so Pilot won!!

Have OEM trailer hitch, wiring on the way along with the quintessential SVCM. Oil was supposedly changed when I got it - so that leaves Trans fluid. Let me know if there is anything else to address on the vehicle - given the mileage.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Brake fluid every 3 years, so it's about time for that too. Otherwise you're in good shape. You've done your research well.

If you're going to be towing you should definitely get an ATF cooler.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I hope those factory Bridgestones are not still on the vehicle. I had a big problem with those. You might opt for something that can hold a line when cornering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, added brake fluid to the maintenance list - might look into ATF cooler a little later as I do plan to tow (about 2000 - 3000 pounds max).

It has got Continental Terrain contact h/t right now with good treads - so this should be fine for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the ATF Flush - is it necessary to replace the Filter as well?

·
Registered
372 Posts
For the ATF Flush - is it necessary to replace the Filter as well?
Not necessary. Some of the more proactive types on here change it ever 30k-60k miles. The filters are cheap (OEM or aftermarket) but a pain to access, having to remove the entire battery box

·
Registered
807 Posts
You can check and see if you are still eligible for the free 5 year navigation update. The updates are released about once a year and you can pretty easily download and install them yourself. Just have to check the original in service date and if the free 5 years is provided beyond the original purchaser.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can check and see if you are still eligible for the free 5 year navigation update. The updates are released about once a year and you can pretty easily download and install them yourself. Just have to check the original in service date and if the free 5 years is provided beyond the original purchaser.
Thanks for the Tip, I updated the Maps a couple of days ago. I dont know if there is any restriction on updating the Nav, but all I had to do was use a USB flash drive get an update request file from the car and use Garmin express to download the new Maps off their website.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My friends with 16s are not able to get latest 2020 maps, this is your last update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friends with 16s are not able to get latest 2020 maps, this is your last update.

Good to know!!. With Android Auto and offline Maps - I feel the Nav is redundant in a way. One thing less to maintain!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
To all 2017-2019 Pilot, 2017-2019 Ridgeline and 2018-2019 Odyssey Models: Honda is extending the warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles because the MIL comes on with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B... I received my packet in the mail yesterday, 04-01-21! In Feb 2021, my dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. I brought it to the dealer and it was fuel injector-My 2017 EX-L only had about 14,000 miles on it. All the work was covered based on Service Bulletin 18-025.

If the owner already paid out of pocket for fuel injector repair, there is a form for reimbursement. Even if you no longer own the Pilot, you can get reimbursed.

p17ot
I recommend calling American Honda's Customer Support &Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138 ...have your VIN available and make certain they have your contact information for any recalls or warranties. Ask for a copy of Service Bulletin #21-010 Defect 6E600 / Symptom N9400 which is the Warranty Extension: MIL comes On with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To all 2017-2019 Pilot, 2017-2019 Ridgeline and 2018-2019 Odyssey Models: Honda is extending the warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles because the MIL comes on with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B... I received my packet in the mail yesterday, 04-01-21! In Feb 2021, my dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. I brought it to the dealer and it was fuel injector-My 2017 EX-L only had about 14,000 miles on it. All the work was covered based on Service Bulletin 18-025.

If the owner already paid out of pocket for fuel injector repair, there is a form for reimbursement. Even if you no longer own the Pilot, you can get reimbursed.

p17ot
I recommend calling American Honda's Customer Support &Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138 ...have your VIN available and make certain they have your contact information for any recalls or warranties. Ask for a copy of Service Bulletin #21-010 Defect 6E600 / Symptom N9400 which is the Warranty Extension: MIL comes On with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x and /or P219A/B
Thanks for the very useful info!!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
836 Posts

Depends when the GPS was updated the first time. You get 5 yrs of updates from the date of the first update and after that, you have to purchase them from Garmin. Garmin Express will display your Mapcare expiry date.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Did ATF change (drain + fill), installed OEM wheel locks and SVCM.

Before installing SVCM - I monitored the Fuel trim for Bank1 vs Bank2 using an OBD reader and saw Bank1 went to zero almost immediately after the initial acceleration and while cruising. Installed the SVCM - pretty easy install I must say, and went for a longer test drive and did not see Bank1 fuel trim go to zero. So I assume all is well and VCM is disabled!! The sluggish acceleration I noticed when I picked the car is gone!

OEM trailer hitch and harness on the way - will go on the vehicle this week.

During ATF change I saw that the engine oil level was at/below the low level mark - with the engine warmed up. I believe the dealership(not a Honda dealership) did a oil change before I got it - and I am not sure what oil they used + how much was filled. So got Shell Rotella 0w20 full synthetic oil - and will be replacing the oil too. Will leave the filter alone this time around. That leaves just brakes from my original checklist. But the car was originally brought on 7/2017 - so it is not 3 years yet by that date and I still have time to do it.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil change done!! Glad I did it soon because I was able to drain a little less than 4.5qts after warming the car. I let it drain for about 20 minutes before putting the drain bolt back for the refill, so most fluid should have been out by then. After refill, warmed the engine again, checked the oil level and topped it off - total of about 5.4Qt. So the car was missing about a qt of oil from the dealer.

Also, installed the OEM trailer hitch. The most important tip I would share is to make sure to mount the wiring harness/connector to the hitch before installing the hitch. By the time you install the hitch, the plastic bumper cover it comes with should already be installed, then the harness connector should be mounted on the hitch and then install the hitch. If any of these steps are mixed up. you will be spending your time trying to tighten the nuts behind the hitch in a very inaccessible location. If all steps are done in the right order and your hitch mount points on the frame are not rusted, then install is actually very simple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts