Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New Canadian owner here.
Just picked up a 2008 Pilot SE 4WD in Silver with 147,000 kms (91,000 miles).
Needed larger family hauler and sold a 2013 Civic to buy this! Also own a 2015 CRV EX AWD.
Have been a long time honda/acura owner, so far loving the new rig!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks @aggrex !! will be doing some preventative maintenance over the next weeks/month to prepare for winter ( i know its August haha), couple accessories to come also 🤙

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
thanks @aggrex !! will be doing some preventative maintenance over the next weeks/month to prepare for winter ( i know its August haha), couple accessories to come also 🤙
Lots of good maintenance tips to be found here to keep the Pilot rolling for a long long time. Things like OEM fluids for the transfer case, trans, rear diff etc. More to come from the Piloteers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beautiful.. what’s the timing belt history? With that low a mileage I’d be afraid original owner pushed it... way over on time if so. Regardless looks very well cared for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@FormerFordGuy thanks for the comment .. with the belt being well hidden its tough to know, carfax didnt show it being done so its possible it hasn't, I didnt see any markers on the cover indicating it was done however it should have been done almost 30k miles ago right .. to the ear it runs very well, fluids are all good, there are not many signs of neglect on this thing so I kind of rolled the dice and bought it anyhow .. is there any known way to inspect without taking the cover off ?!?!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Because the timing belt service is $$ but a necessary maintenance item some owners ignore or delay or disregard the recommended schedule 7yr/100k. Honda motors are interference motors and bad things happen when the belt breaks. Sometimes it’s best to perform the maintenance to have a baseline when you don’t know for sure whether it’s ever been done.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
718 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the time (7 years) and I'd focus more on the mileage. 100k or so. I'd take care of that just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jack Vogt @aggrex I'll definitely be taking care of it soon, I tried again to see any evidence of the power steering pump coming off and/or the motor mount to maybe signify the work being done but its pretty tough to tell .. i'm calling my local Honda store to get a quote and a couple other shops comparatively .. thanks for the input .. did new rear struts last night since the one was starting to leak by .. ride has improved pretty noticeable

·
Registered
38 Posts
Owners.honda.com allows you to log on and look at service history performed at dealers. You could also pull an inspection cover.. I find the rear to be easier and turn the motor over to look for identifying marks.. if it’s not a “Honda” belt it’s been done.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That’s a good looking Pilot.

Reactions: Scott_anthony

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the time (7 years) and I'd focus more on the mileage. 100k or so. I'd take care of that just for peace of mind.
If I had a Pilot with a 12 year old timing belt, regardless of the miles, much more so with 90k..., I'd park it until I got the kit to change it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Nail Grease @FormerFordGuy Yea don't want to see that either !!
I got a quote from my local Honda dealer and it was $2300 plus tax ..
this included the valve adjustment and plugs but the belt and water pump and associated parts alone was closer to $1300 plus tax (ontario tax is no joke at 13%) the valve adjustment I could probably push since there are no symptoms pointing to it being needed (clicking, power loss ect) could a compression test confirm if a valve adjustment is needed?

Thanks !

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
63 Posts
this included the valve adjustment and plugs but the belt and water pump and associated parts alone was closer to $1300 plus tax (ontario tax is no joke at 13%) the valve adjustment I could probably push since there are no symptoms pointing to it being needed (clicking, power loss ect) could a compression test confirm if a valve adjustment is needed?

Thanks !
Bought AISN timing belt kit for mine from amazon.ca. $300.00 Had our shop install it @ 4 hours @ $50.00 per hour.
So, for $500.00 well worth it for piece of mind for me. Or you can install it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
I could of done it, just lazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@PHM that may be the way to go for me as well .. I'm comfortable working on the car for simpler maintenance items but I would rather have an "expert" do the work on this one .. if i could get it done for $500 that would be incredible

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

Thanks !
If you are mechanically inclined to DIY, for the money you save, you can buy the tools you need and still walk away a big winner. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to.
I highly recommend the Aisin kit as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts