Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Pilot 4WD, 170k
Quick background... New motor rebuild(.5 over x6, 24 valves, 24 guides, all surfaces...) Many new parts including Cats x3, O2 sensor x4, timing set, water pump, radiator, oil pump, cam&crank position sensors, pcv valve,.... Most every other part removed and replaced was inspected and cleaned well.

After carefully re assembly it cranked on the first try... Felt great 馃槉. Idle a bit wobbling. CEL and VTM4 on dash(had both prior to motor work)
In gear and out of the driveway, felt great 馃槉
On the gas attempt to come up to speed felt like shit 馃サ. No power to the ground. Hard on the gas barely get it moving.

Not limp mod because it will go above 2krpm and will eventually get up to 40+ if i am paietent.

Current codes
156- o2 sensor, backed up with live data showing no output value.
77- Power train system failure (honda recommends PCU replacement$790-1000new, $200-300 used)

I read about how o2 and egr issues can cause the 77.
Chances that those parts went bad in my garage while the engine was being re worked? Maybe an o2 sensor was bumped wrong, maybe during cleaning i damaged the egr? Chances of both?
Maybe i had the bad o2 and or egr before the rebuild?(just got code reader, ZR15)

I would love to get your thoughts.
Reminder... No power to the ground.!

Registered
2008 Pilot 4WD, 170k
Quick background... New motor rebuild(.5 over x6, 24 valves, 24 guides, all surfaces...) Many new parts including Cats x3, O2 sensor x4, timing set, water pump, radiator, oil pump, cam&crank position sensors, pcv valve,.... Most every other part removed and replaced was inspected and cleaned well.

After carefully re assembly it cranked on the first try... Felt great 馃槉. Idle a bit wobbling. CEL and VTM4 on dash(had both prior to motor work)
In gear and out of the driveway, felt great 馃槉
On the gas attempt to come up to speed felt like shit 馃サ. No power to the ground. Hard on the gas barely get it moving.

Not limp mod because it will go above 2krpm and will eventually get up to 40+ if i am paietent.

Current codes
156- o2 sensor, backed up with live data showing no output value.
77- Power train system failure (honda recommends PCU replacement$790-1000new, $200-300 used)

I read about how o2 and egr issues can cause the 77.
Chances that those parts went bad in my garage while the engine was being re worked? Maybe an o2 sensor was bumped wrong, maybe during cleaning i damaged the egr? Chances of both?
Maybe i had the bad o2 and or egr before the rebuild?(just got code reader, ZR15)

I would love to get your thoughts.
Reminder... No power to the ground.!
Check to make sure that there is no crack in your intake air pipe.
Did you replace the VVT solenoid assembly(s) with new gaskets and screens?

Reactions: Hand Made

Registered
mass airflow sensor (MAF)?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check to make sure that there is no crack in your intake air pipe.
Did you replace the VVT solenoid assembly(s) with new gaskets and screens?
I just installed the intake over the weekend with a through cleaning and inspection. All seemed well.
Yes, new VVT gasket and screen.

Registered
I did not replace the MAF sensor. Scaner is not indicating any issues there. What is your thinking?
Just trying to narrow things down, make sure all the easy fixes are checked.
How fresh is your fuel?
Could there be water in the tank?

Registered
At hot idle what is your map sensor volts and maf g/s? The 77 code is indicating a circuit problem with the intake runner butterfly. It's the connector by the power steering pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it was one of these suggestions, would that cause the lack of power to the road?
I mean that is the issue more than how the motor is running.

My scanner has a Calculated Load reading and on a test drive you can see that load rise from about 16% to 95% with a press of the pedal but that power is not making it to the wheels.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At hot idle what is your map sensor volts and maf g/s? The 77 code is indicating a circuit problem with the intake runner butterfly. It's the connector by the power steering pump.
I can try to find that info.
I haven't seen any info suggesting the 77 was related to anything other than a PCU failure. Would you mind sharing more about that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can try to find that info.
I haven't seen any info suggesting the 77 was related to anything other than a PCU failure. Would you mind sharing more about that?
You may be referring to P1077 code for IMRC, that different from my 77 code.

Does a Honda Pilot have IMRC? I don't have any of those butterflies in my intake on the PS side. (Pic below) i also can't find anything on goggle about a Pilot IMRC.

Attachments

Registered
So what I'm understanding is your engine is running somewhat fine but your not getting the power through the transmission?

Registered
I was thinking p1077, both generic obd code lists I found referred to intake runner control for code 77. What definition do you have for it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My code is not a P1077 (universal ob2 code), what i have is a 77-1(honda vtm4 code) defined as a power train failure. Honda recommends PCU replacement.

My problem is I don't believe that. I have a hard time just accepting that the computer went bad sitting in my garage for a month.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So what I'm understanding is your engine is running somewhat fine but your not getting the power through the transmission?
Yes, the engine is running"somewhat fine". Cranks, idles, revs fine in P, N.... When it is put in gear and gas applied very little of that Power makes it to the ground.
ATF is full, no trans codes, and the gears do change if/when i can get the rpms up to 3000ish...
At first i was sure it was transmission but with no codes and such that seems less likely.
My gut tells me it is something else.

Registered
Makes sense now, 77-1 in the vtm ONLY means you have a dtc in the pcm. It servers no other function. The only time you would replace the vtm module for that, is if you have no pcm dtc, but the vtm refuses to clear the 77-1. Your o2 code is causing it, shuts off the awd too fwi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes sense now, 77-1 in the vtm ONLY means you have a dtc in the pcm. It servers no other function. The only time you would replace the vtm module for that, is if you have no pcm dtc, but the vtm refuses to clear the 77-1. Your o2 code is causing it, shuts off the awd too fwi.
Today i swapped in 2 old o2 sensors into that plug, not installed into the cat but plugged in and getting hot...

The live data streams on the reader didn't seem to change when i plugged in either if the 3 or with no sensor at all.

Registered
156 shows to be bank 2 sensor 2 O2, that cause little or no drive ability issues. Time to start looking at data, the 2 I asked earlier, and map, short and long fuel trims when you try to drive it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swapped in an old O2 sensor and got the original 156 to go away and was replaced with a P0154, not the best but the 77-1 power train code went away...
Still no power to the ground.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
156 shows to be bank 2 sensor 2 O2, that cause little or no drive ability issues. Time to start looking at data, the 2 I asked earlier, and map, short and long fuel trims when you try to drive it.
This is at idle and more or less warmed up.
Both banks running in CL condition.
Clearly the STFB on B2 is out of wack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts