Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I have a couple hundred miles now on my new Defenders and I can say they feel softer and quieter than the Duelers. I like the ride but it looks like they are gonna steal a MPG or two from what I can tell so far from what the Duelers were giving me. Its a trade off I guess. But at least I feel like this 2017 Pilot EX now has an almost acceptable noise level. Hopefully the new tires will last as long as the Duelers at 67000 miles. Sucks that gas has gone up 30%.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Well I have a couple hundred miles now on my new Defenders and I can say they feel softer and quieter than the Duelers. I like the ride but it looks like they are gonna steal a MPG or two from what I can tell so far from what the Duelers were giving me. Its a trade off I guess. Hopefully the new tires will last as long as the Duelers at 67000 miles.
Are your brand new tires exactly the same diameter/circumference as the old worn-out tires?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Heavier tire = less fuel economy.
I'd bump the air pressure up to at least 36psi to try and have a little less roll resistance, but this is a solid built tire that will be a bit more truck like. Certainly not a thin sidewall cushy touring tire ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I am using 32-34 PSI in them,,same as the Duellers. I guess I will try bumping up the pressure to 35/36 and see what thats like for comfort and MPG. I often got a dash computer reading of 31 to 35 MPG over a 35 mile interstate stretch with the Duellers. I see that the text in my original post was edited out for blaiming "someone" for the 30% gas price increase. Sad

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I guess I will try bumping up the pressure to 35/36 and see what thats like for comfort and MPG.
I'm very interested in your opinion after the increase in pressure.
Seem fuel economy hasn't been much of a topic over recent years. Now with fuel prices on the way up, it may influence some back to a light weight, low roll resistance eco tire.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
The Bridgestone tires were harder for maximum fuel economy. The Michelin’s are a little softer, ride better, but you’ll probably lose some fuel economy. A worthwhile trade off in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
The Bridgestone tires were harder for maximum fuel economy. The Michelin’s are a little softer, ride better, but you’ll probably lose some fuel economy. A worthwhile trade off in my opinion.
I agree. Those factory Bridgestone were the worst tires I've ever driven on.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
245-60-R18 I think that is the same size as the Duelers.
OK.
Now think about what happened to the overall diameter/circumference of your old tires as the tread wore down to the depth it was at after 67,000 miles.
How do think it might compare to a brand new tire, even though they are the same nominal size?
Are they identical?
If not, what effect do you think that might have on the fuel economy readings you found for the old worn-out tires versus for the brand-new tires with full tread depth?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
OK.
Now think about what happened to the overall diameter/circumference of your old tires as the tread wore down to the depth it was at after 67,000 miles.
How do think it might compare to a brand new tire, even though they are the same nominal size?
Are they identical?
If not, what effect do you think that might have on the fuel economy readings you found for the old worn-out tires versus for the brand-new tires with full tread depth?

I like your style... I also measure myself in millimeters. Only way I can make myself feel better about myself.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

The Michelin Defender is a very different from the Bridgestone factory tire. The Defender is built like a tank. Not an eco tire. Very truck like.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
How can you determine the manner in which the tire is constructed simply by observing the tread pattern?
I've been ran over before.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
How can you determine the manner in which the tire is constructed simply by observing the tread pattern?
Ok, seriously. There is a little logic behind my comment. I can buy this same Michelin tire tread in a 10 ply Load Range E for my Nissan NV 3500 commercial cargo van. Don't you find that interesting? The Michelin Defender LTX is very much a truck tire and has beating to death rattling teeth of thousands of commercial vehicle drivers for years. smirk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts