Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New members: ask here instead of starting new thread

634585 Views 4641 Replies 1490 Participants Last post by  plplplpl
Since we seem to have a lot of new members lately
(Welcome!) We are seeing a lot of the same questions
being asked again. So that we don't get a proliferation
of duplicate threads, I propose this:
If you want to ask a question and don't know if it has
been discussed before, ask it here first.
(Just click the "Post Reply" button at the top and bottom of this page.)
I'm sure you will get several enthusiastic honda-pilot.org members happy to point you to the thread where it has been discussed before.
If this works, I'll have admin make this a 'sticky' thread so it will always
show at the top of the thread list.

Ask away!!!

(P.S. If you are a new Pilot owner, do we have your VIN in the table? -- shameless plug -- see link in my signature below.)
4601 - 4620 of 4642 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm sure you will get several enthusiastic honda-pilot.org members happy to point you to the thread where it has been discussed before.

Ask away!!!

(P.S. If you are a new Pilot owner, do we have your VIN in the table? -- shameless plug -- see link in my signature below.)
I have a 2016 Pilot. Recently I noticed the dash lights flickering and the interior lights on with the car in the garage (no one around.) Key Fob was not even CLOSE to the car. As I walked to the car,(no FOB in pocket) dashboard was lit up flickering on and off and freaking out. Honda says it is the "Keyless start module" problem and charged me $800 dollars to replace it. There IS a recall on the starter system but the said this was NOT part of the recall. Being of a suspicious nature, I am asking if anyone else has seen this specific issue.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Is it normal that when i unlock the car it not always unlocks the back doors? I cant find a pattern.
On a first generation anyway, one push of the unlock button on the fob unlocks just the driver's door, but two pushes one after the other unlocks everything.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys and gals,
Happy New Year to you all!! New to the forum, I am hoping to read a lot and learn from everyone's experience but need to ask for some help on this one. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
So, I have a 2010 pilot exl with 149K miles and recently when I am driving she just turns off. Happens mostly in the highway but has also happened once on local road. The times that it has happened on the HW, I am usually able to pull over to the side, throw the car on park turn the ignition off and right back on. She starts right up indicating that it is not a battery or alternator problem. Lights, wipers everything works. I can get back on the road for another 5-10 miles and it happens again indicating some type of electrical problem. I took it to the dealership, check engine light on, and they wanted to charge me 5,300 for everything that they felt that they wanted to replace and told me that they could not guarantee that this will fix the problem. But they have to start with what they found. So...... in short, that wasn't happening... Diagnostic fee 178.00 down the tube...
I took it to a local mechanic, he found some codes:
P060A, P2610, U0029, U0029, U0155, U0122, U1101, P2118, P0135, P0135, P0155, and U0114.
This mechanic told me that he felt that the cause of the vehicle stall was related to the throttle body. He told me that he would clean it and told me that I was a little low on oil. He felt confident that the throttle body and oil would do the trick. Repair cost.... 200. Low and behold, and now 378.00 later,
I am still having the issue. After some online research, I learned of a few other pilot owners ( Piloteers:)) with the same exact problem attributed to the main fuel relay (PGM-FI), which has a soldering issue that can easily be fixed by adding solder... I took out my glove box, side panel, under the driver's side dash and can't seem to find this damn thing. I see the fuse boxes on the drivers side, and replaced the blue relay which is a fuel pump relay purchased at advanced auto for 10.00, but this didn't do the trick. The relay also didn't look anything like the one that I saw previous owners repairing. If this relay exists....can someone confirm the location? I found a possible location on Acurzine:
DIY: Locate PGM-FI / Fuel Pump Relay / Main relay - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Can anyone confirm that this is the same location? If my 2010 model actually has a repairable main fuel relay? They did not indicate what year, make or model they did the DIY on but I immediately noticed that it the dash didn't look the same.

Thanks guys!

Blue Rectangle Gas Electric blue Metal

· Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot LX. I have a SRS code saying 146-33 (short in passenger airbag indicator). I have another 2012 pilot that I swapped indicators and had the same message. Has anyone had any experience or have this situation occur?

· Registered
5 Posts
Just bought a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L this past weekend. Test drive showed no problems. After driving it home from Atlanta to Savannah, now I notice the transmission isn't performing - shifts poorly, haven't noticed it overheating, and at 1.5 rpms the tac jumps back and forth from 1.5 to 2 until you rev pass it and shifts hard. I keep seeing articles about the ATF Warmer. Called my local Honda dealership and Honda Headquarters and they both say that my VIN number isn't on the list of ones to be fixed for free! Honda Headquarters told me to keep my receipts and they will reimburse me if they ever decide to include all VINs! Any one here have any luck with getting them to fix it or replace what needs to be replaced?

· Registered
2022 Honda Pilot AWD Sport, Silver/Black
111 Posts
I have a 2022 Pilot Sport on order.Hoping to take delivery in about a month but haven't heard anything lately so I may be looking at early March.

I plan to install S-VCM right away. Thanks, Piloteer for the heads up concerning that issue. Anything else I should do right away?

What should I definitely do but wait until later? (Recommendations appreciated)
I will eventually have an oil catcher installed. Should I not wait?
I want to get an OBD2 code reader.

Would it be beneficial to remove the interior panels and add sound dampening material to the metal shell of the vehicle? Is noise reduction necessary? I've had quite a few Hondas and it seems they get noisier as they get older.

Thanks for your consideration.

· Registered
2018 Honda Pilot touring AWD
3 Posts

Ask away!!!

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,004 Posts
I can’t find the cord end for block heater on my 2018 Pilot. I just bought it in Lethbridge Alberta and I live up by Grande Prairie
Did it come equipped?
Looking at the engine... The block heater would be installed just to the right side of the front catalytic converter.

Reactions: Lyn

· Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the VSA OFF button is for? Also While driving the D gear indicator flashes at random times, sometimes constantly sometimes not at all for three or four days? These may be noob questions but since I'm a noob Pilot I'm going to ask anyway.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,396 Posts
Ok thanks. It’s definitely not hanging out the grill like pic shows so I’ll have to get the car in my shop and see if it is equipped with one.
I would suspect that the vehicle does not have a block heater unless you either were told by the dealer that it had one or had one installed at the time of purchase. I would contact the dealer you bought the vehicle from to verify. Such connections, like block heater connection, are usually installed in a similar manner so as to keep the owner from having to pop a hood open to plug it in. Block heaters are generally not standard equipment, even in Canada.

· Administrator
6,396 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the VSA OFF button is for? Also While driving the D gear indicator flashes at random times, sometimes constantly sometimes not at all for three or four days? These may be noob questions but since I'm a noob Pilot I'm going to ask anyway.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Document

The blinking D light is basically like a Check Engine light for the transmission. It is something that you should have checked out.

You didn't say what year Pilot you have, but if you don't have the owners manual you would be well served to go to the Honda Owners site and download the various manuals for your vehicle, The downloads are free.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
If you have a 1st generation Pilot, the PDFs I've attached below ought to help explain things.

As for the flashing D, that's more serious.

CEL, flashing D light, P0847 code - cautionary tale

Things to try before hauling it into the dealership:

3x drain & fill (not flush) with Valvoline MaxLife ATF, driving enough to hit all gears between each,

Doing 3x or 4x ATF D&Fs. How many miles to wait...

Swap out 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

3rd and 4th gear pressure switches for 2004 Pilot EX.

where and what on 2003 Pilot EX-L pressure switches. car...

2006 Honda Pilot Flashing D.

The dreaded blinking D light...

Thoroughly clean and lube, or replace, the neutral safety switch.

2003 Pilot flashing D. Possible new fix.

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
So to clarify, I didn't put my year. It's a 2007. The VSA thing was just a question but the transmission does slip in and out of gears (it's an automatic) ie if I'm driving at 55-65 mph it will downshift and then revert toD on it's own repetitively. The only thing that helps this whole thing while I'm driving is to kick in the passing gear. It doesn't have overdrive(I don't think so anyway) but acts like it when it's changing gears. Under acceleration (hard or normal) it changes gears just fine. It only does this when I'm trying to hold a steady speed above 50ish.

· Administrator
6,396 Posts
So to clarify, I didn't put my year. It's a 2007. The VSA thing was just a question but the transmission does slip in and out of gears (it's an automatic) ie if I'm driving at 55-65 mph it will downshift and then revert toD on it's own repetitively. The only thing that helps this whole thing while I'm driving is to kick in the passing gear. It doesn't have overdrive(I don't think so anyway) but acts like it when it's changing gears. Under acceleration (hard or normal) it changes gears just fine. It only does this when I'm trying to hold a steady speed above 50ish.
Sounds like it is time for a 3 times drain and fill for the transmission. I can guarantee that you will get at least one recommendation for using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF fluid. If you do a forum search on either 3 times drain and fill or Maxlife ATF you will have plenty to keep you busy and informed for several days.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
I can guarantee that you will get at least one recommendation for using Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF fluid.
At least two, you mean. :)

4601 - 4620 of 4642 Posts