Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

4141 - 4160 of 4467 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, quick question about my 2004 Pilot Ex.

We are now at 85,500 and the car is pushing 12 years old. The local independent Honda mechanic we have used the past few years is telling me to wait to do the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump maintenance until the suggested 105,000 miles. I'm wondering if I'm pushing my luck and should change things out now, or wait as the mechanic is suggesting?
The downside of waiting is that, because the Honda engine is a so-called interference design, (very expensive to repair) damage to the valves and pistons can occur if the timing belt and/or tensioner fail. To be cynical, maybe that's what your mechanic is hoping for. It's also possible that he hasn't seen any timing belt or tensioner failures in under 105K miles (regardless of time), so he's trying to save you from replacing them "prematurely."

How much longer do you plan to keep this vehicle and what would happen if you were suddenly faced with a $3-5K engine repair bill?

Thanks for the feedback! At least 2-5 years before likely upgrading to the next size up family car. Possibly a mini van of some sort. Yeah 3k-5k would be a heavy hit forsure, and I don't want to risk it. I found it interesting that everytime I brought up the timing belt swap our mechanic pushed back, and said there was no reason to worry until you are over 105,000. I'm leaning the direction or biting the bullet and having the work done so I'm not worried or caught off guard. We are planning on doing a 1000+ mile road trip here in a few weeks and I'd rather not have any big surprises! I really appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first posting on THE Piloteers.org (!!)

Does anyone know if there is any alternate VTM-4 (rear) differential fluid to the Honda fluid? I know this topic has been discussed before but I am particularly interested in BG Syncro Shift II. My Honda dealer is using this. I know Honda fluid is the preferred (a must?) choice but apparently - quick internet search and concerned owners - there are some dealers using this product for Pilots. And I found this:

http://kansasbg.com/Complete_Set_of_Spec_and_Tech/792_SPEC.pdf

This specifically mentions VTM-4 although no mention of differential. Although, it does state that this fluid can be used in transfer case, trans axle, etc.

And this:
https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/1786018-103151455

Maybe there is some merit to this product?

Before I start a new thread, I thought I would try here first.

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
My first posting on THE Piloteers.org (!!)

Does anyone know if there is any alternate VTM-4 differential fluid to the Honda fluid? I know this topic has been discussed before but I am particularly interested in BG Syncro Shift II. My Honda dealer is using this. I know Honda fluid is the preferred (a must?) choice but apparently - quick internet search and concerned owners - there are some dealers using this product for Pilots. And I found this:

This specifically mentions VTM-4 although no mention of differential (transfer case, trans axle, etc.)

And this:
https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/1786018-103151455

Maybe there is some merit to this product?

Before I start a new thread, I thought I would try here first.
There are NO alternatives to VTM4.

The BG product you mention has none of the same components as VTM4 fluid. Comparing the MSDS sheets, BG product just isn't the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are NO alternatives to VTM4.

The BG product you mention has none of the same components as VTM4 fluid. Comparing the MSDS sheets, BG product just isn't the same.

The spec sheets states that it can be used in Dual Pumps (CRV) as well as VTM-4. It can't be the same as VTM-4 fluid. I could not find the viscosity in Worldpac MSDS for the Honda VTM-4 fluid. Would you know what that might be for the Honda oil? I am not challenging you. Just trying to figure out what makes this fluid so special that it can be used in different 4WD systems. I'll try a call with the dealer for clarification.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any alternate VTM-4 (rear) differential fluid to the Honda fluid? I know this topic has been discussed before but I am particularly interested in BG Syncro Shift II. My Honda dealer is using this. I know Honda fluid is the preferred (a must?) choice but apparently - quick internet search and concerned owners - there are some dealers using this product for Pilots. And I found this:

This specifically mentions VTM-4 although no mention of differential. Although, it does state that this fluid can be used in transfer case, trans axle, etc.
Are you sure that the BG product is being used in the VTM-4 rear diff?

Pilots from 2006 on also have a transfer case that requires gear oil with a weight range between 75 and 90.
The BG product would be a closer fit for this application.

Are you willing to risk damaging a $3K rear diff unit to find out if this other fluid works acceptably (or not)?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Any pictures or diagrams of exactly where that transfer case is? What's the recommended fluid (or alternatives) and intervals for adding/replacing it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure that the BG product is being used in the VTM-4 rear diff?

Pilots from 2006 on also have a transfer case that requires gear oil with a weight range between 75 and 90.
The BG product would be a closer fit for this application.

Are you willing to risk damaging a $3K rear diff unit to find out if this other fluid works acceptably (or not)?
Obviously not. However, this is what the dealer is using. And it's the dealer that I use! Funny, now I actually have to fight to use the manufacturer's stuff. Spoke with the service manager. He confirmed that the same BG product is being used in the rear diff. for Pilot, RL, and guess what.... CRV. The service manager knew the difference between VTM & dual pump (he corrected me) and the fluid difference. He said that this is a recent change and Honda is OK with them using it. Interesting, as this is more expensive oil. Although, he did mention they get this in bulk. They don't even keep the VTM bottles in the service bay anymore. He will use the Honda fluid if customer requsts but he will have to make sure they have it in stock first. This is a reputable dealer in the area with alot of returning customers. Hmm... If anyone had a dealer performed a rear diff serviced in recent months, could you check your invoice? Does it actually say VTM-4 fluid or some other name for the fluid? Oh, the paranoia!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any pictures or diagrams of exactly where that transfer case is? What's the recommended fluid (or alternatives) and intervals for adding/replacing it?
I am referring to the 2nd gen (2009? and later). However, the rear diiff, not transfercase, is located just behind the real subframe/suspension frame (do not know exact name). If you look from the rear, you will see a cross-member frame under the floor panel. In the middle of the xmember, there is a hole. Look through it, there is a square bolt. That's the rear diff. fill bolt. Rear diff is..... the part where the bolt is inserted???? (That's a horrible descriptin)

I believe older gen Pilots have the similar set up. The Vtm replacement schedule is 15k, 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k, etc... so I was told.

Not sure what the maint schedule for the actul transfer case is. Maybe its part of the ATF fluid change?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Thanks for the response. I know where the rear diff is and have recently replaced the VTM-4 fluid there. I was wondering about the transfer case, which is a different animal, since xGS mentions it.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Follow the propeller shaft forward and you'll run right into the transfer case.
Fluid is 80W-90 gear oil, which gets changed on the same schedule as the ATF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
can someone please tell me what site i can get this part at and what the part number is?
thanks in advance

2nd row, driver side, latch to fold down chair

·
Registered
10 Posts
Best cabin filter and air filter? 2009 EX-L (Land mine question)

Tomorrow I am going to check my air filter and cabin filter on my 2009 EX-L that I bought about a month ago.

If they need to be replaced, is there a brand of filter that works better than others with Pilots?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I got my 2012 touring about 2 months ago. Since then my battery has died about 4 times. I've checked the battery multiple times and everytime it says it's good. I bought a battery tender and have been charging it up whenever needed. My question is how often does your OEM battery die? And at what point should I just n replace it?

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
Hi I got my 2012 touring about 2 months ago. Since then my battery has died about 4 times. I've checked the battery multiple times and everytime it says it's good. I bought a battery tender and have been charging it up whenever needed. My question is how often does your OEM battery die? And at what point should I just n replace it?

Any factory battery over three years old should be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
15,245 Posts
Thank you!! Is there a thread here with all of the regular maintenance schedules? From everything like water pumps to batteries,ect.

The MM system addresses the maintenance needs as necessary. 2005 and prior had a mileage and driving condition based service schedule. Google 2005 Honda Pilot owners manual and look at the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question about the usb connection on a 2013 touring. What can I do if the usb connection stops working completely? I have no power from it nor will it connect as a usb source. I'm kind of irritated but I expected it not to last long in my family. And ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased a 2016 Pilot and now want to get HondaCare. Our dealer wanted $3295 for an 8-year/120K $0 deductible plan. After much research I learned about online Honda Care warranties for much less so I turned the dealer down. After reading about the lawsuit Honda vs. Sarcucci (Honda won) I am worried about buying one of these plans. Are they safe/legal? Our dealer told us Honda does not allow dealers in the same region to undersell each other on these plans. Please help!! I can't find anything after 2010 on the lawsuit. After that verdict how can they continue to sell for $2000 less than our local dealer?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Upgraded brakes

I have seen a few threads on on the subject but not the answer I'm looking for. Has anyone upgraded the brakes on their pilot? I have a 2012 and usually have 4 people in the car and in October there will another addition! Sometimes there will be 8 and this suv just seems like it struggles to slow down. The rotors are Warped I know that but pads have lots of life and they just seem to have a hard time doing the job.

Has anyone had any luck with upgraded options? Something different then oem?

Anybody try a slotted option?

I am aware that the front brakes are aftermarket from the dealer I got it from and I was gonna go with oem just to see how they did but I am reading a lot of negative things about oem brakes on these and figured I'd look into aftermarket options first. I would like to do something heavy duty since this sun is heavy and seems to struggle with what I assume is the low end aftermarket replacement.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
134 Posts
We just purchased a 2016 Pilot and now want to get HondaCare. Our dealer wanted $3295 for an 8-year/120K $0 deductible plan. After much research I learned about online Honda Care warranties for much less so I turned the dealer down. After reading about the lawsuit Honda vs. Sarcucci (Honda won) I am worried about buying one of these plans. Are they safe/legal? Our dealer told us Honda does not allow dealers in the same region to undersell each other on these plans. Please help!! I can't find anything after 2010 on the lawsuit. After that verdict how can they continue to sell for $2000 less than our local dealer?
I don't know if there were any appeals or settlements after the Saccucci lawsuit, but many dealers all over the country sell Honda Care extended warranties online to this day. From what I've read, Saccucci Honda and Hyannis Honda seem to have pretty competitive prices. If you make the purchase with a credit card, you at least have the protection of doing a chargeback in the unlikely case where you run into problems.

4141 - 4160 of 4467 Posts