Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I just signed up today. Actually so that I could thank another member here for posting a Body Mount repair he had previously done.

Thought I would say Hi, and introduce myself. Show a few repairs I have done on my 2006 EXR.

I live in Ontario, and the city I am in uses a really nasty brine on the road. I bought my Pilot in 2014, and since then it has completely rotted out in the back end.

Last winter, my trailer hitch fell off. Turns out the uni-body frame members where to badly rotten, that all but 1 bolt on each side just ripped right out of the frame, and my hitch dropped down and started to drag on the ground. So I welded up a sub frame, then bolted it through the belly pan in several spots, as well as bolting it through the uni-body support members ("Frame").

Then yesterday, I had to do a body mount repair, because My rear left body mount ripped off.

I've also made custom roof racks for the pilot. Nice wide ones so that I can put 2 canoes side by side.

I work at a larger welding and machine shop. So I have all the resources to repair things like this. When it comes to mechanical and electrical repairs, I am pretty much useless!

I bought this pilot hoping I could get it up over 300,000km. It's a 265,000km right now. My GF is going back to school in September. So I really need 1.5 to 2 years out of it! So I have a feeling you will be seeing a few posts and questions from me in the future!! And hopefully I will be able to help some other member out with their issues as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in a similar boat as well as you are. Nearly all of the bolts in my frame were rusted out when trying to put my hitch in. I cut a small hole on the left side of the frame and welded bolts inside the frame with nuts holding the hitch in. The other side of the frame wasn't too badly rusted through. A few tack welds help me have some piece of mind as well. Would like to know if you have any ideas of the rear bumper support as mine is completely rusting through and I've got no ideas of how to repair that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would like to know if you have any ideas of the rear bumper support as mine is completely rusting through and I've got no ideas of how to repair that.
I haven't really put much thought in to the bumper support. Mainly because most of my bumper is already rotted out! And all of the Unibody in the area. If you kick my rear bumper, clumps of rust fall out on the ground..

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Please do not tow anything on that hitch... I'm sure your fix is nice and strong but the last thing you need is for a trailer to come off while driving, putting others in danger.

To be positive though, nice work solving the problem... hopefully it gets you through the next couple years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please do not tow anything on that hitch... I'm sure your fix is nice and strong but the last thing you need is for a trailer to come off while driving, putting others in danger.

To be positive though, nice work solving the problem... hopefully it gets you through the next couple years.
Thank you for the concern. I certainly am going to tow with it though. That's the entire reason for the repair.

However, I have reduced my load capacity drastically. I have a very light utility trailer which I used to tow a very light snowmobile (Yamaha Bravo), and a light aluminum fishing boat I tow with it. Nothing over 1000lbs. I used to tow it all behind a Volkswagen Golf... There are (20x) 3/8" bolts through the unibody and belly pan, and I have been checking them every time I tow to make sure everything is sound. Trust me. This hitch is not going anywhere. You would need to rip the entire back end off the Pilot for the hitch to come off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts