Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piloteers

I just bought a used 2014 Honda Pilot Touring (2WD). It has 79k miles on it. Was originally in the market for 2016-2017 explorer, but this particular Pilot listing came up and I was able to get it at what I believe to be an excellent price. The previous owner followed the maintenance schedule on the nose, all 4 tires are standard issue and replaced within the last 10k miles, and the interior is in excellent condition!

Since becoming a Pilot owner (3 days and counting lol), I have made the following purchases/additions to my Pilot: (1) bought the ATF Cooling Kit and installed at my local Honda dealership to increase towing capacity; (2) purchased/installed OEM crossbars on the roof (also at dealership); (3) ordered $300+ (and counting) of WeatherTech accessories (bumpstep XL, floor liners, and cupholder coasters)

But I was also wondering if any of knowledgeable Piloteers might be able to help or point me in the right direction on a few other modifications/upgrades I’m considering: (1) body lift (the ground clearance on my pilot is surprisingly low for the size of this SUV; (2) bull bar for front-end bumper/grille protection. On these 2 areas I really have no idea where to start, or what’s even reasonably possible, not to mention what’s recommended vs. definitely not recommended, etc.

I would seriously appreciate any thoughts or tips of any kind from those of you out there who know what I’ve gotten into firsthand and also might be able to offer some much needed good/practical insights (general or specific)

Thanks Again!!!!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have seen a few threads regarding lifting the Pilot and/or installing larger tires, but there really isn’t a huge modder community for the Pilot.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Piloteers

I just bought a used 2014 Honda Pilot Touring (2WD). It has 79k miles on it. Was originally in the market for 2016-2017 explorer, but this particular Pilot listing came up and I was able to get it at what I believe to be an excellent price. The previous owner followed the maintenance schedule on the nose, all 4 tires are standard issue and replaced within the last 10k miles, and the interior is in excellent condition!

Since becoming a Pilot owner (3 days and counting lol), I have made the following purchases/additions to my Pilot: (1) bought the ATF Cooling Kit and installed at my local Honda dealership to increase towing capacity; (2) purchased/installed OEM crossbars on the roof (also at dealership); (3) ordered $300+ (and counting) of WeatherTech accessories (bumpstep XL, floor liners, and cupholder coasters)

But I was also wondering if any of knowledgeable Piloteers might be able to help or point me in the right direction on a few other modifications/upgrades I’m considering: (1) body lift (the ground clearance on my pilot is surprisingly low for the size of this SUV; (2) bull bar for front-end bumper/grille protection. On these 2 areas I really have no idea where to start, or what’s even reasonably possible, not to mention what’s recommended vs. definitely not recommended, etc.

I would seriously appreciate any thoughts or tips of any kind from those of you out there who know what I’ve gotten into firsthand and also might be able to offer some much needed good/practical insights (general or specific)

Thanks Again!!!!
Pics would be great : )

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Need pics.

I thought all 2nd gen Pilot came with the ATF cooler already installed, even FWD ones. I'd confirm before unpackaging yours.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, for the 3 row crossover class the 2nd gen Pilot had one of the highest ground clearance ratings. This is not a body on frame vehicle so a body lift doesn't exist. You can get a spacer lift for the springs that will get 1.5-2" or you can build a custom subframe drop for more, which noone has done yet.

Reactions: bluff2085

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Welcome @bluff2085 ...accessories limited to mud guards + cargo liners makes it challenging to toughen up our Pilot's but we have a few Piloteers that are experimenting some DIY mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need pics.

I thought all 2nd gen Pilot came with the ATF cooler already installed, even FWD ones. I'd confirm before unpackaging yours.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, for the 3 row crossover class the 2nd gen Pilot had one of the highest ground clearance ratings. This is not a body on frame vehicle so a body lift doesn't exist. You can get a spacer lift for the springs that will get 1.5-2" or you can build a custom subframe drop for more, which noone has done yet.
Thanks for response!

1- See pics I just posted above

2- I‘m not necessarily a “car guy” or anything but on this specific issue I read through the physical owner’s manual section on towing specs and guidance, which gives different information based on whether your 2014 Touring is a 4WD model, 2WD model with ATF Cooler, or 2WD model without ATF Cooler. Since mine is 2WD and the manual didn’t specify any further, I took it to my local Honda dealership and asked them to confirm if it was there (it wasn’t). Decided to pay the extra $400ish for the part and labor installation at same dealership. Total bummer I know...

3- This is some great info and makes alot of sense. Thanks for helping me narrow down some options there!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome @bluff2085 ...accessories limited to mud guards + cargo liners makes it challenging to toughen up our Pilot's but we have a few Piloteers that are experimenting some DIY mods.
Yeah. I’m starting to see that.

FWIW I don’t off-road a ton, but enough in terms of occasional lite off-roading, to the point where I want this Pilot to perform as best as possible even if it means spending a little extra cash...obviously the 4WD option would have been preferred in this respect—but like I mentioned in the intro post, I kinda jumped on a deal that I was very satisfied with even though it’s just 2WD and not 4WD model.

So as far as mods go, my initial curiosity has been geared towards potential lift options and/or potential tire upgrades to a higher performance set.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
So as far as mods go, my initial curiosity has been geared towards potential lift options and/or potential tire upgrades to a higher performance set.
Contact ReadyLift to see if they have any lift kits planned for the '14 Pilot. Link is for the '09-'11 models. There may be other venders that offer similar products but you can start there to get information. As mentioned the lift kits for Pilots or Subarus usually consist of strut extensions above the struts and/or spring spacers for the rear. ReadyLift retail pricing seems high for what you get but I've seen the price fluctuate much lower and similar no-name kits can be found on Amazon/ebay for less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Contact ReadyLift to see if they have any lift kits planned for the '14 Pilot. Link is for the '09-'11 models. There may be other venders that offer similar products but you can start there to get information. As mentioned the lift kits for Pilots or Subarus usually consist of strut extensions above the struts and/or spring spacers for the rear. ReadyLift retail pricing seems high for what you get but I've seen the price fluctuate much lower and similar no-name kits can be found on Amazon/ebay for less.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm pretty sure the suspension did not change from '09-'15, so the Readylift kit will work. They will likely tell you that they haven't confirmed it and to buy at your own risk, if some of the Ebay spacer lifts say they work with the entire 2nd gen year range the Readylift kit should too.

Also, thanks for the info on the transmission cooler, we don't see a ton of FWD models on here so that's good to know.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Your success in lifting the '14 Pilot could pave the way for others to try ReadyLift or generic lift-type products. Post up what you decide and your build even if it's just mud guards+cargo liners lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts