Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the post title would suggest, I'll be the owner of a Pilot here in a couple weeks. 2012, not sure what trim level but I'm more than happy with it.

I'm buying it from my mom- I grew up in VA, where the roads are (for the most part) much more gentle on vehicles. I've heard from mechanics that Hondas aren't great about rust, but I doubt it'll be bad for a while. I can fix just about anything on a normal car except I don't have a welder/cherrypicker/tranny jack/2 post lift. I don't anticipate that I'll have to do much other than brakes, fluids, etc.

I've been DDing an '02 wrangler for a few years now. I've never not loved that car but I don't enjoy spending $100/wk on gas. It's also not very crashworthy, and the mid tires aren't great in snow.

I plan on adding heated seats, a bluetooth radio, and a phone cradle for Google Maps. I have one in my Jeep that I 3D printed- it's sturdy and it's also got a wireless charger built into it. It's much easier to mount this in a Jeep (without any exposed cut plastic/fasteners), but when I get that figured out I'd be happy to post how I did it.

My mom claims it's only worth about $5K. It does have ~130K on it, but it's a Honda and everything works perfectly. I don't mind giving her a little more than it's worth because she's saving the hassle of buying a new vehicle, but is $5K fair?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum... should be a good vehicle for you!

Regarding value, go on KBB and see what they think it's worth or look up used car prices in your area.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Welcome @msoganda ...your new to u Pilot should be a good purchase for both parties. Generally keeping up with all the maintenance will help keep that Pilot rolling for a long time. Looking forward to your build and stories.

·
Registered
370 Posts
For reference, in June I got a 2011 EX AWD with 78K on it and paid $10K. That's translated from Metric and CAD but a 2012 if at least an EX and AWD for $5K is fair. As long as timing belt/tensioner/waterpump/idler pulley has been done at the correct 105K. If not you need to do that soon.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new-to-you Pilot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.