Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi new member here in Oregon by way of NYC (20 years ago) 2009 Honda Pilot 5door, EX-L original owner.

Since the spirit of my DIY Father invaded my soul recently I am attempting to change out my Alternator myself. I have seen videos, schematics. I have successfully downloaded the service manual...

The issue is finding the darn tensioner nut so I can move the pulleys to take off the serpentine belt and then remove the nuts to remove the Alternator. There is a machined nut that is 19mm (the size it's supposed to be) that made my "breaker bar" live up to its name by breaking... I didn't know it was a machined nut when I attempted to "open" it. It looked to be where the Tensioner should be from the diagrams I reviewed.

I rented the tool for free (deposit) from O'Reilly's (insured no cost to me on busting it. They let me know before I left the store, must happen a lot.)

Even with the Service Manual diagrams I can't reliably ID the proper tensioner connection. There was a nut with a disc behind it that looked to be part of a pully that was also 19mm but I am not confident that is it. Any help identifying the tensioner nut would be huge.

Looking at some more diagrams and YouTubes. Seems like I used the right nut, used the correct orientation but the Breaker Bar just failed at where the square is to insert the socket. Are Serpentine tools um, stronger? The breaker bar was free so went for it but I could buy the serpentine tool if you think that is a requirement. I think the problem was I was thinking I was trying to loosen a nut vs move an assembly to engage a hydraulic to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
19mm nut stripped on the Tension Assembly. Got an appointment at the dealership Tuesday where I bought my Pilot and they gave me the best quote. I learned a bunch but when I stripped that 19mm machined nut I reassembled everything but the battery which I will slow charge dill I need to drive it to the shop.

I used a long breaker bar with swivel and a 19mm 1/2 drive socket, it moved correctly for a bit and when I went to reach to loosen the belt...the nut stripped and regained the tension. Not sure if it can be moved by the other nut or other means but I am going to try to brainstorm for a bit and take a break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK making this a journal lol. OK so I thought I was quitting but forgot how to. I am going to jb weld a darn 18mm socket malleted onto the machined (stripped) nut then move it after it fully sets. Tuesday is my appointment at the dealer. I still have time to make this work lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts