Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had new KYB shocks, struts, strut mounts/bearings, strut boots, and Moog sway bars with bushings installed this weekend. The sway bars were only installed in the front, I may install sway bars in the back if later needed. I paid $512 for labor to my much trusted mechanic. The old suspension had over 211,000 miles on it and I could feel it any time I left my driveway.....it was well worth the money people. I have been purposely driving on all the rutted country roads I have been avoiding in the past just to experience how smooth the ride is now. Through Amazonprime.com I was able to get the KYB 4 piece set, shocks and struts for $210 and there is a $40 rebate for 4 KYB shocks and struts= $170. The mounts were $42 ea., boots $14 ea., Moog sway bars $28 ea., and Moog bushings $6 for both. I also received an $80 gift card for opening an Amazon credit card and had a $50 Amazon gift card left from Christmas.....I am FRUGAL to say the least. The ride of my Pilot is as good as new now, I feel much more confident in the way its handles and hopefully it can go another 200K miles on this suspension, especially since the motor and transmission only have 91,000 miles on them.

Have a nice day,
sfulmer :smile:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!

Let me know how much it improves your ride, I have been very pleased with my Pilot's ride since the suspension work was done. Camping season starts this weekend for me in Linville Gorge, NC and I know I can handle water washed gravel roads to the trail head now.

Ride on,

Scott>:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good to hear. I have a little over 155,000 miles on my '05 EX and I'm looking to swap out the shocks/struts and the mounts later this year. I've had KYB's on my '98 CRV previously(currently have a set on the front) and I feel they're a solid choice for the Pilot as well. That being said, I'm thinking about going with Sachs (Touring series) but I'm still not sure.

Has anyone here gone with Sachs? If so, how did you like them?

BTW, you got a killer deal on your KYB's...kudos.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very happy with the ride

I went camping last weekend in Linville Gorge and had to take some water washed gravel roads to the trail head and the new suspension handled it great! I know that my old suspension would have bottomed out many times in a few areas. The road handling on the way to the gravel roads was so good that I did not realize I was scaring my passengers in the hair pin turns. LOL! Overall the feel is much tighter than my old suspension but I do like it, I hear that SACHS is also a good set up but more expensive. With the Amazon deal, KYB $40 rebate, Amazon $80 gift card, and a very reasonable rate from my mechanic.....I am sure that I made out like a bandit again!

Good luck to all my fellow Piloteers,

Scott>:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have put about 10,000 miles on the new suspension which included a trip to Buffalo and one to Port Canaveral and they are still doing great. The super stiff ride has softened up a little bit which is nice since for a while there it felt like I was riding on rails.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good stuff - I need to do the same. As I'm pretty handy, I may do the work myself.

I need to save some $. My '05 is at almost 207k and its stock suspenders. And with my new commute, I'm doing almost 1k a week on my baby. :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new suspension has made my drive more comfortable and made me feel much more confident in the way it handles when needed. I am told that someone that is proficient with automotive repairs can do the job but to make sure it is aligned right after the repairs or there could be serious issues once driven too far. Let me know how it goes, I paid more money for the labor than I wanted but did not feel confident about doing the work myself......plus my mechanic warranties his work.

Good luck,

Scott

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just breached 250k miles on the Pilot last month and the KYB shocks and struts have softened up a little, just enough so that I don't feel EVERY bump at 95 mph on hwy 485 around Charlotte NC. I am still very happy with the decision to go with KYB, still handles like it is on rails when on curvy roads!

·
Registered
110 Posts
211,000 on the original parts?

And now 250,000 on the KYB?

My '09 has 125,000, it has some rattles in the front end. A shop suggested putting new struts/shocks on. Not sure that'll fix the rattling but would probably drive like new, I got it at 93k so it'd probably make it feel like a brand new car for me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
For front end rattles replace the $6 sway bar bushings first, and re-evaluate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts