Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ,

I have a 2003 Honda pilot and my key wont turn unless I hit the sweet spot. Not sure if the key is worn or if the ignition switch needs to be rebuilt. What is the most cost effective way to fix this?

Go to dealer for a replacment key or rebuild ignition switch at locksmith .

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
Probably couldn’t hurt to try cleaning out the lock cylinder. The locksmith I went to to have keys cut recommended TriFlow Superior Lubricant.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mine had this problem before I got it, and now needs a separate door and ignition key.

I went to a good local locksmith to get it "right". He told me the dealer was my only option, and the price would be high.

I decided to live with multiple keys. If lube doesn't get you there, you'll probably have the same decision.

By the way, I've experienced this in other cars. The "sweet spot" can disappear suddenly, usually at the most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi ,

I have a 2003 Honda pilot and my key wont turn unless I hit the sweet spot. Not sure if the key is worn or if the ignition switch needs to be rebuilt. What is the most cost effective way to fix this?

Go to dealer for a replacment key or rebuild ignition switch at locksmith .

I had this problem on my 2003. The lock cylinder is made with split wafers (instead of pins) that follow the indentations of the key. Over time, the wafers near the key entry area wear out, especially if the key ring is heavy and pulls down on the ignition key while you drive. (I'm talking about you people with 15 keys hanging on the ring). The worn wafers no longer properly index with the key, and the cylinder tends to jam.

Anyway, the cheap fix is to take it all apart, and remove the faulty wafers from the cylinder, and put it back together. The remaining wafers do the job of mating with the key and allowing the cylinder to turn smoothly, and no new programming or key cutting is required. No locksmith is needed, and no new keys or reprogramming of the immobilizer circuit is required.

I did a detailed write up on my experience with fixing the sticky key on my 2003. Search for the thread "Key Sticking in Ignition" My detailed reply is post #9 in the thread. This was in the fall of 2017, and my ignition key is still working perfectly today. If you wish more information, send me an email, and I will respond directly.

For a great youtube video on this fix, google "2003 Honda Oddessy Ignition sticking" The woman who made this video was right on the mark, and she gives a clear presentation of how to fix the sticky cylinder. Of course, the Honda Oddessy is much the same as the Pilot under the skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts