Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is on my now daily driver, 2008 Pilot SE 2WD.

Since the last snow, I have an intermittent small sort of rattle is the best way to describe it.
It may have nothing to do with the snow.
It's not associated with anything really, not braking, turning, accelerating, etc.
I didn't hit any thing, snow banks, other cars, etc.
It runs the same, stops and steers the same. Still quite a nice ride actually.
It doesn't lean more in turns, etc.

It's very quiet, almost like one of the heat shields rattling against something.
No smells, etc.

I pushed on the front end up and down, and the rear end up and down- no noise at all.

Without jacking it up, I looked under it several times.
I looked at the upper and lower sway bar links, etc. All still seem attached.

I'm too lazy with the cold to get my ramps out of my shed, of even to get the floor jack and jack it up to push on things.
That's the next step though.

It's quiet, and randomly rattles. Runs fine, etc.

My engine cover is loose on the top of the motor, and just kind of sits up there resting.
It's been this way for years. I don't think that is this new rattle.

I tried to explain things as best I could. Runs fine, no idiot lights, etc.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
On my 06 I chased something similar. It wound up being one of the heat shields off the back of the engine. I had already used hose clamps to secure the loose shields on the CAT. They seem to rust out around the clamping bolts.

The one that finally solved it was a PITA to get a clamp around. Vertical and crammed up in the engine bay. I also had the metal splash guard on the right front hub rust away. But that was more of a grinding noise.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
On my 06 I chased something similar. It wound up being one of the heat shields off the back of the engine. I had already used hose clamps to secure the loose shields on the CAT. They seem to rust out around the clamping bolts.

The one that finally solved it was a PITA to get a clamp around. Vertical and crammed up in the engine bay. I also had the metal splash guard on the right front hub rust away. But that was more of a grinding noise.
I had the splash shield that covers the drive axle rust on my pilot causing a light rattling bought another one from bone yard heat shield on rear cat also was rusted so I removed them no more problem

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hello all, this is on my now daily driver, 2008 Pilot SE 2WD.

Since the last snow, I have an intermittent small sort of rattle is the best way to describe it.
It may have nothing to do with the snow.
It's not associated with anything really, not braking, turning, accelerating, etc.
I didn't hit any thing, snow banks, other cars, etc.
It runs the same, stops and steers the same. Still quite a nice ride actually.
It doesn't lean more in turns, etc.

It's very quiet, almost like one of the heat shields rattling against something.
No smells, etc.

I pushed on the front end up and down, and the rear end up and down- no noise at all.

Without jacking it up, I looked under it several times.
I looked at the upper and lower sway bar links, etc. All still seem attached.

I'm too lazy with the cold to get my ramps out of my shed, of even to get the floor jack and jack it up to push on things.
That's the next step though.

It's quiet, and randomly rattles. Runs fine, etc.

My engine cover is loose on the top of the motor, and just kind of sits up there resting.
It's been this way for years. I don't think that is this new rattle.

I tried to explain things as best I could. Runs fine, no idiot lights, etc.
Any thoughts?
Check the rotor dust shields. They're very thin metal and get wonky when a little rusty and are very close to the moving rotors.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I had the splash shield that covers the drive axle rust on my pilot causing a light rattling bought another one from bone yard heat shield on rear cat also was rusted so I removed them no more problem
Check the rotor dust shields. They're very thin metal and get wonky when a little rusty and are very close to the moving rotors.

Thank you all for these replies! I feel certain one or all of you are correct.

It drives fine, so I'm less motivated about getting out in a garage that'll be in the low 30's. I have an elec. space heater to increase it some.
I also have about a foot of snow getting to my back yard shed- housing my ramps.

I'll update when I get around to getting under there.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you do decide to venture under, banging on the exhaust system (let it cool first 😆) can help you track down the rattle if it's a heat shield.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be sure to bang away! Not too hard though, my ol 08 lives in the Rust Belt mid west!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
If it's a plastic rattling sound, remove your engine "beauty cover" (aka what Scotty calls plastic crap), and go for a ride. If the rattling persists, look for loose underbody plastic shields (aka inadequate plastic skid plates). Sometimes a little hard snow can catch on those and cause some of their plastic pushpins to detach.

If it's a metal rattling, look at the rotor dust shields as driving through snow can bend them, especially if they're already Rustbelt oxidized. Otherwise, heat shields. Sometimes curable with one or two good hose clamps. Stay dirty and stay warm. :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow up- kind of

I was under this/my 08 a few days ago and changed the oil and filter. It was cold and melting snow was dripping on me under there. I did have my yellow glasses on though!

It is really tight under there anyhow. I banged on a few things. Didn't hear the rattle yet.

In fact, it has become even quieter.

When it warms up some, I'll drive it up on the ramps, and bang on a few things to try and find it.

Thank you so much for the input everyone.

Nice video on it PlPl

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! Most all the snow has melted- getting a few more inches tomorrow, but,

I went to my shed, got my ramps, ramped up the front end and checked things out.
I was actually happy with what I saw for an 08 w/ 190K+ miles!

Turns out, it's the alloy heat shield for the muffler loose in the middle and the rear mounts have corroded thru! The front is still holding though.
Here's a picture of the two in the rear:

My quick/easy fix?

I got out my cordless drill, the driver chuck for some self tapping screws and pushed like hell until I got 2 of them to bite in the rear. I tried the middle, but couldn't get the angle right it it kept slipping off the driver. So 2 in the rear-most areas (that does sound really funny) and it's holding again. Until those corrode thru LOL.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Would some adaptation of ericthecarguy's method help?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually NO. . That is NOT the droids I was looking for. LOL

But no, not the same thing or area at all.

This is a long alloy, upside down U shaped heat guard that is before the muffler.
The bottom of the U is wide open. My photo is looking from the bottom. Thats how I was able to tack it back up with some self tapping screws.

It looks as though the screws and washers are steel, and the guard is alloy. They anodized/corroded thru on the alloy guard. NO way to hose clamp this really.
2 near the muffler, (pictured), and one near the middle. The front was still holding.

Now that rattle when I put I used reverse is gone!

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
OK, got it. The close up confused me. What material screws and washers did you use? Glad you got it fixed. You've thus earned the statutory forum happy banana dance, and we'll give you the coveted Mario version.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, got it. The close up confused me. What material screws and washers did you use? Glad you got it fixed. You've thus earned the statutory forum happy banana dance, and we'll give you the coveted Mario version. View attachment 146487
Thanks PlPl,

I was lazy, and just used some 1/4" drive self tapping screws- like they attach Storm windows with, etc.
It was hard to get the screws to bite into the bottom of the body w/o pushing really hard while laying on my back.
It snugged it up.
If/when they fail, I'll probably back the bolts out of the original mounts and put a brace or larger washer on those.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Thanks PlPl,

I was lazy, and just used some 1/4" drive self tapping screws- like they attach Storm windows with, etc.
It was hard to get the screws to bite into the bottom of the body w/o pushing really hard while laying on my back.
It snugged it up.
If/when they fail, I'll probably back the bolts out of the original mounts and put a brace or larger washer on those.
Use a washer that’s larger than the enlarged hole then you can use the same bolt. Mine doesn’t rattle but it’s on the to do list. Generally when I remove a rusty bolt I replace with stainless steel.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
That's what I was thinking, stainless steel for both the screws and the washers.

But you can wait 'til it warms up a little more out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts