Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 2006 Pilot EX W/a RES I took out the radio installed an aftermarket so obviously the DVD player and monitor doesn't work , i have a question planning on ordering a new flip down monitor so I would just like to know which wire do I tap into from the factory monitor so I can get power from it so I wouldn't have to run any wires , to be honest I'm assuming there's a harness connected up there haven't taken it down yet to even see/check for myself. or should I just take a tester and start checking all the wires in the factory flip down monitor?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
If Piloteer audio guru @scorrpio sees this, you'll be in luck. If not, try posting in...

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Should be only one connector on the OEM screen unit.
Font Parallel Circle Number Document
Pin 1 (white) is constant power, pin 26(black) is ground.

If your new screen will use composite (red/white/yellow RCA), this will be of use to get the signal from head unit location 'D' connector (the long 40-pin one)
Rectangle Schematic Slope Font Parallel

If new screen is HDMI, you will need to run HDMI cable. But you will likely still want to use the 'System ACC' wire for screen wake-up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Should be only one connector on the OEM screen unit.
View attachment 146244
Pin 1 (white) is constant power, pin 26(black) is ground.

If your new screen will use composite (red/white/yellow RCA), this will be of use to get the signal from head unit location 'D' connector (the long 40-pin one)
View attachment 146246

If new screen is HDMI, you will need to run HDMI cable. But you will likely still want to use the 'System ACC' wire for screen wake-up.
do you know where I can connect wire (1&2) for the doors ? or those wouldn't connect to the plug where you sent the diagram. sorry I don't know how to explain myself well

·
Registered
744 Posts
The 'Door Control' is most likely an option to open/close and activate the screen via head unit. Should be easy to check.at the car battery. Connect both 'GND' and 'Door Control -' to battery negative, connect 'B+' to battery positive. Then, if you also touch 'Door Control +' to battery positive, the screen should open and turn on. Pretty sure, however, there should be a button to activatre the screen.
Depending on head unit model, some of them might have the monitor control. I.e. on my Alpine ILX-207, I have a 'monitor remote' wire. If I were to install this screen, I would be connecting that wire to the 'Door Control+'. I suppose if your head unit does not offer remote screen control, you should still be able to use buttons on the screen itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 'Door Control' is most likely an option to open/close and activate the screen via head unit. Should be easy to check.at the car battery. Connect both 'GND' and 'Door Control -' to battery negative, connect 'B+' to battery positive. Then, if you also touch 'Door Control +' to battery positive, the screen should open and turn on. Pretty sure, however, there should be a button to activatre the screen.
Depending on head unit model, some of them might have the monitor control. I.e. on my Alpine ILX-207, I have a 'monitor remote' wire. If I were to install this screen, I would be connecting that wire to the 'Door Control+'. I suppose if your head unit does not offer remote screen control, you should still be able to use buttons on the screen itself.
sorry to bother so I removed the DVD player and radio and just took down the monitor I see the pin (1)white and (26)black but since I removed the radio and DVD does the monitor plug/harness still have power running through it ? I don't have tester right now will be heading out to buy one when my new monitor comes in the mail but for now I figured I'd ask

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes, that pin should still be getting power. It is a straight wire from the fuse box.
And I seriously suggest investing in a multimeter before going ahead with any sort of wiring/electrical work.
Should be able to pick a fairly decent one at nearest Home Depot for about $30-40.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that pin should still be getting power. It is a straight wire from the fuse box.
And I seriously suggest investing in a multimeter before going ahead with any sort of wiring/electrical work.
Should be able to pick a fairly decent one at nearest Home Depot for about $30-40.
I know it can be annoying constantly answering questions I'm truly sorry 😞 but I have to ask I got it on but when I turn off the car the monitor stays on is there a pin to connect the yellow wire to? and I'm not leaving it wired this way I'll buy some T-tap wire connectors more than likely, I appreciate you for helping couldn't have gotten this far without you

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ok, so I see you connected black (GND), red(B+) and yellow (Door conttrol+) and screen is powered on. Now here are a few questions:

If you disconnect the yellow wire, does the screen power down and close?
With yellow wire disconnected, is there a power button on the screen housing that can open/turn it on?
Likewise, with yellow wire connected, is there a button on screen housing that lets you power it off/close it?

At the simplest, you can connect the yellow wire to pin 13 (should be yellow/red wire).
Then, behind the head unit, locate the 40-pin connector that used to be plugged into the old audio. Its pin 16 (yellow/red) is the one you need to connect.
How to connect it:
If your head unit has an external monitor support function, it should have a monitor control wire - that is the best option.
Otherwise, you want to connect that pin 16 to the amplifier remote turn-on wire (usually blue) on your head unit - this will cause the screen to power up whenever your head unit powers up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I see you connected black (GND), red(B+) and yellow (Door conttrol+) and screen is powered on. Now here are a few questions:

If you disconnect the yellow wire, does the screen power down and close?
With yellow wire disconnected, is there a power button on the screen housing that can open/turn it on?
Likewise, with yellow wire connected, is there a button on screen housing that lets you power it off/close it?

At the simplest, you can connect the yellow wire to pin 13 (should be yellow/red wire).
Then, behind the head unit, locate the 40-pin connector that used to be plugged into the old audio. Its pin 16 (yellow/red) is the one you need to connect.
How to connect it:
If your head unit has an external monitor support function, it should have a monitor control wire - that is the best option.
Otherwise, you want to connect that pin 16 to the amplifier remote turn-on wire (usually blue) on your head unit - this will cause the screen to power up whenever your head unit powers up.
there's 2 yellows one for the door says door+ and the other says B+ the red says ACC I was just testing to see if I did have power running through . I'm not worried about the doors light right now do I connect the red wire from the monitor to pin (1) and the yellow to pin (13) that I circled from the diagram you sent me or do I connect yellow to pin (1) and red to pin (13)

·
Registered
744 Posts
No, in practically all car electronics:
B+ connects to a permanent power source - in this case it will be pin 1.
This is a direct connection to battery, through a fuse, and it supplies constant power to let a device keep its settings (i.e a clock)
ACC needs to connect somewhere that has power when the car is on.
Easiest option in your case: connect this wire to pin 13, and then, behind your head unit, connect pin 16 of the 40P connector the same way as your head unit's 'ACC' wire.
DOOR+ is a control wire that should let you power the screen from head unit - if it has such functionality.
You can use pin 3 (red/white) - it goes to pin 11 on that 40P.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a direct connection to battery, through a fuse, and it supplies constant power to let a device keep its settings (i.e a clock)
Easiest option in your case: connect this wire to pin 13, and then, behind your head unit, connect pin 16 of the 40P connector the same way as your head unit's 'ACC' wire.
DOOR+ is a control wire that should let you power the screen from head unit - if it has such functionality.
thanks I will keep you posted it got out cleveland OH so I'm going to stop and continue tomorrow you're a big help don't know how much help you are

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
40 pin connector pin (16) yellow/red connect that to my remote and then monitor acc red to pin (13) if that's what I understood from you if not its cool man you definitely helped enough

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much I got it exactly what you said to do I did it and it's on and off like it should do man thanks 💯 💪

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gotta say though, looking at that connector picture: there are those pin numbers on the connector itself, kinda showing that yellow/red is pin 5. Those numbers are backwards from how the service pdf lists them.
If one holds the connector so one looks at it from wire side, with locking tab facing up - which is exactly how you are holding it in the picture - the pin numbers are top row left to right, then bottom row left-to right. Counted this way, yellow/red is indeed pin 16.

The numbers on the connector itself go in the opposite direction, with pin 1 being on the right. I suspect this is what got you confused.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts