Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I replaced the OEM headlights on my 2009 Pilot with aftermarket versions purchased from Amazon. I had polished the originals a couple of times before but it never looked perfect and didn't last. I looked at new OEM but they were over $300 each, the pair from Amazon were about $220.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G3HMCC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Job was easier then I anticipated, total time was about one and a half hours.

I'm very happy with the results, see attached images!

After replacement I washed and wax the pilot and it looks great, these are before waxing...

IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1094.jpg
IMG_1095.jpg

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Makes the vehicle look new again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
This past weekend I replaced the OEM headlights on my 2009 Pilot with aftermarket versions purchased from Amazon. I had polished the originals a couple of times before but it never looked perfect and didn't last. I looked at new OEM but they were over $300 each, the pair from Amazon were about $220.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G3HMCC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Job was easier then I anticipated, total time was about one and a half hours.

I'm very happy with the results, see attached images!

After replacement I washed and wax the pilot and it looks great, these are before waxing...

View attachment 131857 View attachment 131858 View attachment 131859 View attachment 131860 View attachment 131861 View attachment 131862
Looks awesome! Ive been wanting to do this as well and found instructions on YouTube where you have to remove several screws and bolts and take the bumper off. Did you find this to be the case? Did you find straightforward instructions or were to able to just figure it out? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks awesome! Ive been wanting to do this as well and found instructions on YouTube where you have to remove several screws and bolts and take the bumper off. Did you find this to be the case? Did you find straightforward instructions or were to able to just figure it out? Thanks!
Try polishing yours. I polished mine and it's lasting quite well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Followed these instructions to remove bumper cover, lights, etc.

Have some spare Honda push pins as some might break on removal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks! I’ll take a look and maybe get adventurous soon. I did get a polishing kit and will try that soon. Have a good one!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
Looks great. What a difference the new headlight housings made!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I recently did the same. Aftermarket from Amazon, it was about $300 for two headlamps and two foglamps.

The headlamps were good, but NOT as good as OEM. The back metal ring where the bulb attaches used round head screws when the OEM used countersunk flat screws. There is a reason OEM used flat screws, as these cheap round screws impact the bulb and made it hard to get the bulbs installed. They lined up pretty well, not perfect, took some wiggling and you have to be careful as the tabs are all plastic.... but take your time and they will fit.

No complaints on the foglamps, other than they are glass like OEM, and the slightest hit cracks them, just like OEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I decided to try the polish first and I have to say, I’m quite surprised how good they look. I wish I had taken before pics. You literally couldn’t see the bulb through the lens as they were so clouded. Here’s the end result: (hopefully the pics do them justice)
02C1C9D1-6AAF-4DB8-AAEF-8593CF54CF44.jpeg
3A476923-5CE4-4630-AF28-E5CC02590070.jpeg

48692C9B-7A90-4846-9F23-17D463791DAB.jpeg

·
Registered
603 Posts
did your kit come with a good quality top coating after the polishing is complete? That is essential for it to last.

·
Registered
182 Posts
did your kit come with a good quality top coating after the polishing is complete? That is essential for it to last.
I've polished my headlights twice now and finished them with Meguiar's Keep Clear (urethane?) coating. The headlights stay crystal clear even after 12+ months parked outside in California sunshine, however they still turn yellow and require another polishing and coating to remove the yellowing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts