Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 2011 with the 7 speaker (4 in the doors, 2 tweeters in the dash, sub) configuration and I'm thinking about adding a single-din Carplay model Sony XAV-AX8000. I've read a ton of posts here and I just want to summarize my take and hopefully get confirmation and advice. If I replace the headunit, I will lose the sub, unless I add an amp. Will I also lose the tweeters? Has anyone done this, and does it sound ok? If not, and it was one thing or the other, better to add the amp for the sub (and what about the tweeters?) or go w/o a sub and get 4 new door speakers? What amp is recommended and where to install it? Or if the speaker route, which models are best? Also, where do you suggest mounting the mic? I might buy the receiver from Best Buy as they offer free install, so any tips about that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Farley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also where do you guys suggest mounting the usb connector? I was thinking in the dash trim kit's pocket?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Factory tweeters are wired parallel to front door speakers. Factory head unit does not have specific tweeter outs. So if you just use existing speakers/wiring, dash tweeters will work.
You can get a sub amp like this :
It can be powered with 12VDC from the dash outlet and mounted in the dash trim pocket. Should be more than enough to drive the stock sub.

For USB, get something like this:

Can pretty much mount it anywhere then.

I have not dealt with Best Buy lately, but I heard nothing good about their installs. They tend to farm those out to lowest bidder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scorpio. I'm going to do the install myself, ordered the receiver. I'm thinking I'll get the amp you linked to. Instead of using the dash outlet I'm thinking I can just tap a wire going to the new receiver. See any issue with that? Do you happen to know what cable I could order for that tap that would fit the power jack on the amp?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts