Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the group here. I don't own a Pilot just yet but am in the market. I'm going to look at an '07 4wd w/ 165k on the clock tomorrow and looking for any advice on things to check. I used to own a first gen MDX and currently own an RDX. Decided to go back to the bigger suv. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Find out when the timing belt was last changed. It's due every 105K-miles or 7-years - whichever comes first.
Timewise, an '07 would be due for the second change very soon.

Look for proof of regular periodic maintenance, especially transmission fluid service.

Check the VIN to be sure all of the recalls have been completed:
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the welcome. I'm in Texas so rust shouldn't be an issue and the Pilot is on its 2nd owner. Timing and all fluids have recently been changed. The owner and previous owner kept meticulous records on maintenance. Timing belt and water pump were done at 120k. It has 166k on it now. I'm going to look at it tonight so I hope its everything he says it is.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the ride. Make sure to pick up some Haines “shop rags” for working on the new ride. In Texas the preferred color of shop rag is green. 😆

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the ride. Make sure to pick up some Haines “shop rags” for working on the new ride. In Texas the preferred color of shop rag is green. 😆
Give the new guy a break. You'll confuse him completely or scare him away.

Newbies, click >here<, But! Click only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave newbies, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, shop rags.

Ahem, OP, also check if the VTM-4 fluid has ever been changed, preferably by getting service records.

·
Registered
420 Posts
sounds like a nice car, some items that will probably come up should plan for (nothing unexpected for 165K car)

1. front struts, control arms, tie rods
2. sway bar links and bushings
3. rear wheel negative camber - rear wheels will lean inwards - can install adjustable camber links
4. engine mounts
5. leak from seal for side marker harness

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well car wound up being a complete shit show. The guy lied about everything. Salvage title, whole front end and right side of car had paint so fresh I think I left a fingerprint in it. Took one look under car and it was so salt rusted I was pushing holes thru the rear bumper. Told the guy what I thought of him for lying and left.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Took one look under car and it was so salt rusted I was pushing holes thru the rear bumper. Told the guy what I thought of him for lying and left.
Just an FYI for your ongoing search for a good used Pilot. A rusty rear impact bar is fairly common for the first gen Pilots in my area. The rear impact bar is made of steel and is replaceable.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It wasn't just the rear bumper tho. It was the whole underside of the car, just the rear bumper was most noticeable. Definitely some serious salt corrosion. I'm in Texas and don't see that kind of rust on cars usually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts