Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
04 Pilot; 2012 Odyssey; 1993 Del Sol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Piloteers! Hope to become a regular here and share my adventures related to purchasing a Pilot with VTM that was bought from a lil ole man (80) from Queens NY. Pretty clean, but very basic SUV. Naturally, the attraction was the low 41425 mileage. Owner was the original; and no accidents. I think its called Starlight Silver with zero options.
I will be working on a plan to get this baby in tip top shape and maybe even upgrade it a bit. (Waves hello)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your plans and how they develop. An original owner '04 with 41425 miles: Think that's what's called a 🦄.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Welcome @GSA53 ...post a few pics of the unicorn or perhaps barn find. Extremely low mileage for 16 yr old Pilot is a positive but probably needs some TLC for the age and low usage.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see you’ve already met two of the regulars. That is quite a low mileage find you made. Looking forward to seeing what maintenance and upgrades you do on it.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Hope to become a regular here and share my adventures related to purchasing a Pilot with VTM that was bought from a lil ole man (80) from Queens NY. Pretty clean, but very basic SUV. Naturally, the attraction was the low 41425 mileage. Owner was the original; and no accidents.
I will be working on a plan to get this baby in tip top shape and maybe even upgrade it a bit.
First step should be to go the following link, input the VIN and check for any outstanding recalls - especially for the airbags.
They were recalled once in 2015/2016 and for a second time in 2019.

If you didn't get the original printed owner's manual, here's a link to the electronic version:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/A9V0404OM/enu/PI0404OM.PDF

Try to find out when (or even if) the timing belt was last replaced.
It's due for replacement at 105K miles or every 7 years - which ever comes first.
If the belt fails, the engine can be severely damaged.
If you can't determine when the belt was last replaced, consider having it done soon as a precaution.

Also, check the manufacturing date code on the tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
Even with plenty of tread depth remaining, if the tires are more than 6 years old (worst case 10 years old) then a new set of tires should be your first "upgrade".

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Our "Super Moderator" appears to be AWOL again. He used to be johnny-on-the-spot with his welcome spiel and FAQ link. Is he not being paid enough? :p

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Our "Super Moderator" appears to be AWOL again. He used to be johnny-on-the-spot with his welcome spiel and FAQ link. Is he not being paid enough? :p
Must be a lingering side effect of that extra-strength version of the flu shot they give to retirees.
Or, maybe he's been getting the placebo instead of real coffee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Must be a lingering side effect of that extra-strength version of the flu shot they give to retirees.
So, as a newbie here I am trying to post a standalone message in this thread. Looks like I just hit reply to the latest post?
Anyway, thanks for the good natured input to here. Today, I started gathering up what I am going to need to refresh the Pilot.
In no particular order I am now waiting for:
Genuine Honda fluids, including:
Power Steering; Brake; Coolant; Rear Diff VTM;and Tranny; then
Aisin Timing Belt KIt; NGK Plat Laser; Wix Air Intake filter;and Cabin Air Filter.
Went to a Dealer to see a Parts car where i got a cargo net, some spare relays, and started negotiations for a nice, full set of rims and tires in a swap. I also want a Roof rack and tow hitch from that car subject to condition. I peeked through to look in the back for a subwoofer too..
I am researching steering and Tranny coolers too to be safe towing (no real plans to tow at the moment though). .
So thats Part One. After this I will do an deep inspection of brakes and suspension,

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Looks like you're off to a good start with a pretty gosh darn good grasp of stuff to get. (y)

There might be a few variations possible, like Valavoline MaxLife ATF and NGK Laser Iridiums, but by and large your list is solid.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
I'd forgo the Honda DW-1 ATF for the Transmission. It was originally specd for Z1. I'd opt for Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Today, I started gathering up what I am going to need to refresh the Pilot.
In no particular order I am now waiting for:
Genuine Honda fluids, including: Power Steering; Brake; Coolant; Rear Diff VTM;and Tranny; then
Aisin Timing Belt KIt; NGK Plat Laser; Wix Air Intake filter;and Cabin Air Filter.
Since you're going to DIY the timing belt replacement, you might want to buy/borrow/rent one of these sockets:
77080 19mm Harmonic Balancer Socket

This might be an opportune time to replace the radiator hoses.

Also, are you getting new crush washers for the various drain and fill bolts/plugs?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Also, are you getting new crush washers for the various drain and fill bolts/plugs?
Ka-boom. You stepped on the tripwire for a poll reminder link:

Do You Change Your Crush Washers?

Got these earlier this month so I should be good for a while and not have to buy them at the dealership's larcenous price per.

Amazon.com: Honda OEM 94109-14000 Oil Crush Washers/Drain Plug Gasket (20): Automotive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJCXMT1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Got these earlier this month so I should be good for a while and not have to buy them at the dealership's larcenous price per.
Amazon.com: Honda OEM 94109-14000 Oil Crush Washers/Drain Plug Gasket (20): Automotive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJCXMT1/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For me, the dealership's "larcenous" price for an oil drain plug crush washer is buried in the coupon special price of an annual oil change.
Likewise, for the crush washers associated with the ATF and VTM fluid changes that occur once every 2-3 years.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Wish my local dealership offered those coupon specials. Best mine offers is free wifi and a fake ficus in the waiting room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, about crush washers. Previous owner just changed oil so I dont need to stock up yet. I stockpiled 12 qts of tranny oil for servicing but I wasnt about to pay for 4 crush washers. So, Ill get one and use it at the end of the procedure. . I will always replace crush washes. I have the Honda tool for timing belt. Had done Odyssey timing belts in the past.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,178 Posts
Nice find.
I thought I had done good (well, still did), when a few months ago I found a 2015 LX 4WD, w/ trailer towing and only 64.5K on it!
We also have an 08 SE FWD- now w/ 185K on it.

Welcome to the site.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts