Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about a new Garmin map update for the Odyssey and Passport, so I just checked for the Pilot. No notification inside the car but it showed a new version available oon the Honda site. I downloaded it using the instructions from the Garmin Express app. The app itself had to be updated and then downloaded Map version 2021.10. I had updated last October to version 2020.10 so this is the latest one.

Took about 45 minutes to download onto a USB, but haven't had a chance to install it into the car yet. It says update will take about an hour. My 2019 came with 5 years of free map updates which may also apply to other years.

Reactions: Malv

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just yesterday after a short roadtrip with family i tried to update maps in my 2016 Pilot. Garmin express says there is no update available. Very frustrating because maps seems to be pretty outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed the instructions of using a formatted USB and putting it into the port in the car under the center dash. It downloaded what it needed from the car and then had to be put into the computer using the Garmin Express app. Try doing it that way or perhaps you don't have access to free updates? The site says you do have 5 years of free updates. Here is the page for the 2016 Pilot.

Map update instructions

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did it these exact steps you described so not sure what could be wrong. My honda is 2016 and it came with 5 yer updates so should be still valid vehicle for free updates.

Will try one more time tonight

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to update your Garmin Express? My car never showed the update, and when I checked the Honda site which lead to the Garmin site I didn't' see the update information until after I had downloaded everything to the USB.. Never did see a clear indication that an update was available, just downloaded because of what I read on the Odyssey and Passport forums.

·
Registered
587 Posts
How does the garmin express thing work? Are you supposed to download the car's data on a USB from the software update app and then plug it into the computer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I downloaded the fresh version of Garmin Express the program did not asked for an update.

The car also never said there were an update. I decided to do an update because a couple intersections were missing or off during the roadtrip

Stesps performed:

1) plug formatted fat32 usb drive into the usb port in between of front seats
2) selected map update in the navigation options
3) took out the usb drive and plug it in computer (noticed that a new folder was created but never checked what was inside)
4) installed fresh garmin express on my pc and performed all necessary steps until “no update available “ message

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What version map do you have now? You can find it by going into the navigation settings in the car and checking the map version. I went from 2020.10 to 2021.10

My Garmin Express said no update available AFTER I had downloaded from the site.

Reactions: Malv

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just found this:
NOTE: For 2015 and 2016 Honda Vehicles: If following the instructions below doesn't offer a map update, contact Product Support

Will try to contact support tomorrow (they are closed already for today) and will post here the results

·
Registered
98 Posts
Garmin's servers are spotty at best with reliability. I just tried to check for a map update, and keep getting the error: "Sorry, we're having a problem communicating with our servers."

I thought maybe it was a problem with the installation, so I tried it on a different machine -- same results. Apparently the company was hit with ransomware a little while back, and I'm not sure they've fully recovered from it yet.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,676 Posts
Garmin's servers are spotty at best with reliability. I just tried to check for a map update, and keep getting the error: "Sorry, we're having a problem communicating with our servers."

I thought maybe it was a problem with the installation, so I tried it on a different machine -- same results. Apparently the company was hit with ransomware a little while back, and I'm not sure they've fully recovered from it yet.
You probably need to close the program completely and re open it. There was an issue a couple of weeks ago that has been resolved. Gamin will run in the background unless you tell it to completely close. Close it completely and reopen the program and try. I literally just checked, got through and found that I am up to date.

FYI there is also an update for Garmin Express.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the update into the car today. Took about 25 minutes at which time the screen said it was complete. Now shows version 2021.10 with 2020.10 having been replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I chatted with Garmin representative today about my issue. Apparently they already have internal ticket opened due to map update issue with 2016 & 2017 Honda models. She asked me to submit log data from the car unit and Garmin Express on my PC and sent me an email with instructions how to do so. I haven’t done it yet but will do later today. After that they will contact me after the issue will be resolved. She wasn’t able to say how long will this take. I asked how long they have had tis ticket opened and got an answer “couple weeks”.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully they get it worked out pretty soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Am trying to complete the update today. I have been downloading the update for 2 1/2 hrs so far and still not finished. The downloads from Garmin servers are slow today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garmin released a new version of Garmin Express (7.1.2.0) but it still didn’t fixed my issue. No updates from technical support as well. Waiting...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Garmin released a new version of Garmin Express (7.1.2.0) but it still didn’t fixed my issue. No updates from technical support as well. Waiting...

I wish you luck. There was a problem with the maps updating when I got my '19 Pilot. The map was stating that it was the new version, but the actual map that updated wasn't. The response from Garmin at the time was that they knew about it and hoped to correct it with the next update. That meant I had to wait a year, as Garmin only updates its maps once a year for Honda products, for the next update.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It took me over 3 hours to download the update from Garmin. About another 20 mins to update the system in the Pilot.

BTW: For anyone using Apple computers to update their maps, I find I always have to completely manually unistall Garmin Express and then re-install in order to get the map update. If I simply open Garmin Express and update it, it will show the new map but will state that my map is currently up to date and I cannot update it. It is only by manually uninstalling and reinstalling will I get the prompt that a new update is available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I downloaded and installed yesterday with no issues. I am a Mac user, had no issues with the Garmin software at all. Took about 3.5 hours to download, but that could be my ridiculously slow 15MB internet connection.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts