Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New EXL 2020 roof question

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  FamilyHaulin' 
#1 ·
Looking to see what people paid to have a dealer install a roof rack. Thanks!
Also, OEM or like Thule or Yakima?

#3 ·
Do you mean an actual roof rack with the rails and bars?

Yes, the Touring comes with the rails, but the bars are an extra cost accessory. So it doesn't really have a roof rack until cross bars are added. The EX-L needs both the rails and the cross bars as an extra cost item. All models also need the cross bars if you are wanting to carry something on top.

The carry capacity when the items are added is 165 pounds. These two Honda parts alone are around $540.00 from this well known dealership, BEFORE any installation labor!

EX-L roof Rails

Pilot Cross Rails

#6 · (Edited)
Hi. I bought both the OEM rails and cross bars for my 2019 EX-L. I am planning on installing them myself. I would recommend checking with your dealer because they have a fixed priced for a specific accessory for your vehicle installed.

I’m going to follow Mondos instructions:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
We just picked up a '17 Touring this weekend. We have the rails, but no cross bars. We're trying to figure out how to decide between the Honda crossbars and going with a Yakima rack... Seems like the Yakima may be stronger and also give us the option for wider crossbars.
Anyone else work through this decision-making process? Thoughts?

#8 ·
What does wider get you? Are you going to have cargo hanging over the roof ledge. If you need a ton of cargo space there are roof baskets that will cover the entire useable roof space and not even use or need crossbars. Best course of action is to figure out what you realistically need and purchase to meet your needs.

#9 ·
We just picked up a '17 Touring this weekend. We have the rails, but no cross bars. We're trying to figure out how to decide between the Honda crossbars and going with a Yakima rack... Seems like the Yakima may be stronger and also give us the option for wider crossbars.
Anyone else work through this decision-making process? Thoughts?
The only compatible rack for your car is the Skyline system and it has the same weight rating as the OEM. It only seem to be higher from the roof line. Perhaps anyone with Yakima roof bars can chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I have a 2019 EXL, bought with bare roof. I planned to add a Yakima or Thule roof rack at some point. We own an old Yakima system for a 4Runner, so i thought i could save by just getting the pilot compatible pieces.
needless to say, I just had the rails added by the dealer (paid too much, even with a coupon). Still thought I could get just the compatible Yakima feet to connect existing bar to rails. Yakima requires 2 more parts ($350) to do so. It is going to be cheaper to get the Honda rails.
My ultimate purpose is to increase cargo capacity, and occasionally mount a kayak.
Not sure this helps, but wanted to share my process.

#15 ·
I have a 2019 EXL, bought with bare roof. I planned to add a Yakima or Thule roof rack at some point. We own an old Yakima system for a 4Runner, so i thought i could save by just getting the pilot compatible pieces.
needless to say, I just had the rails added by the dealer (paid too much, even with a coupon). Still thought I could get just the compatible Yakima feet to connect existing bar to rails. Yakima requires 2 more parts ($350) to do so. It is going to be cheaper to get the Honda rails.
My ultimate purpose is to increase cargo capacity, and occasionally mount a kayak.
Not sure this helps, but wanted to share my process.
Yikes! That's getting pricey! Thanks for sharing. It's definitely helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.