Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New England Ice Storm

2597 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  shortlid
I'm lucky, being just far enough south and east to miss the ice. Interested in hearing from other members about their experiences during and after the storm.

Of course :needpics:
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
588 Posts
I am by the sea and near Boston Logan airport, so all rain here.

· Registered
226 Posts
Power went out in the middle of the night in Stow MA. Didn't come back on till 5 pm. I'm glad it did. Can't do without heating as it is going to dip into the teens tonight.

Spent 3 hours during the day clearing two toppled pin trees blocking the driveway. More to do in the backyard tomorrow.

· Registered
4,292 Posts
Power went out at about 11 PM on the 12th and just came back on at 6 PM on the 15th. It's been a long 4 days. Cable went out also taking my phone service with it. Number of trees down in the yard, luckily they missed the house (two by a few feet) - it looks like a bomb went off. Going to take a while to cleanup. A little further up our road is impassable and the city projects it will take the next few days to clear the road out for those homeowners. Generators, batteries, and chain saws sold out day one and now are finally available today at the local Home Depot. Lot of utility poles snapped in half in the area.

Could be worse though, a friend has a tree in her kitchen, another tree in her garage, and National Grid projects power will be restored to her house on December 24.............Ouch!

Can't wait for Wednesday's icing - at least none of the trees in my yard have tops to fall off anymore.........

· Registered
984 Posts
Hi there. Southern NH got really whacked this time around. We lost power at midnight on Thursday 12/11, and didn't get power back until about 8pm on Sunday 12/14. Short time by the overall picture, since many in our area on more isolated streets are still without power on Tuesday morning. From the news reports, this was the broadest power outage in this area in history. The good news is that a lot of mutual aid came in from Canada and further south to help out. Was interesting to see about 15 Hydro Quebec line trucks and another 10 trucks from Maryland in our town the other evening - an invasion of the WELCOME kind!! Thanks much to those who helped.

We had a small generator we got years ago and it is tied into 6 circuits in our house (via gentran switch) so we have heat and the fridge and freezer and a few outlets for light, etc - just have to keep the old generator full of fuel and down daily to check oil and overall health. My dad and also his friend both had no power so they stayed with us during the past few days - they got power back on Monday. His house was 39 degrees by Monday AM...

andy

· Registered
891 Posts
We were four days without power in southern Maine but since we have a generac - we were in comfort. We were warm and had water from our well as well as lights and refrigeration. Wife is now completely on board with it being a wise investment. :)

Thank you Michigan - one of your line crews got us back on the grid.

· Registered
296 Posts
I must be nearby to MAINER, we just got our power back today about noon time. Total was 4-1/2 days w/o power. Most in 30 years living in this home. Actually, most I ever had in my life of 55 plus years. I don't know which crews got us back up, but I know there are a bunch of folks from all over the east coast (north and south) here to help out. Many THANKS to all who came here. We were able to keep heat running with a generator, but not much else. Food in freezer and fridge lost. You don't know how much power means until you loose it.

· Registered
588 Posts
I think they are year end tax deductible for those you lost in hurricane,, hailing, ice/ snow storms.

· Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
8 Posts
Southern NH hard hit

New member from Derry, NH and we got the brunt of the storm, most trees in back of the house damaged or snapped in half. Had one hit my garage take out siding and roof shingles. Lost power for 4 1/2 days and most in my area out for 9 days plus!!:3:

· Registered
8 Posts
jl_ss said:
Guess I'll have a lot of firewood for next year...........
Looks familiar just quadrouple the size of downed limb! When it hit the house it shook so hard I thought it came off the foundation.

· Registered
8 Posts
jl_ss said:

That pic doesn't show the larger trees that came down, but luckily they did not hit the house.
Yep, took out all the siding on the side of garage, and took a few shingle tabs off when it hit the roof.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.