Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to the forums.
I have an 06 Pilot Sport with just under 190,000 miles. Bought it from carmax in 2017 with 105,000.
It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned in 30+ years, but it's starting to show it's age...

Started getting a "squeaking" noise from engine, sounds like maybe the vicinity of the serpentine belt.
It repeats and accelerates with RPM increase/decrease.
I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice on where to begin diagnosis, or if you're familiar with this particular symptom

posting a link to a video of the noise....

*check engine light is on due to O2 sensors which are about to be replaced.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
OK, PIloteers, we're opening betting on our new member's problem. (Welcome, BTW. :))

Think I'll open with an alternator on the way out, although it usually makes more of a whine that follows RPMs, so I'm going to hedge that bet.

Alternator issue?

Who'd like to counter with a serpentine belt and/or its tensioner? Or something else?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I vote the tensioner pulley.

If you turn wrenches, I would pull the belt, check the pulley for play. Pull the alternator have it checked at an auto parts store with an alternator tester. also, make sure the bracket the alternator is connected to is not cracked.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Carefully use a mechanics stethoscope to try to pinpoint the source of the noise while the engine is running. Buy one on Amazon or at Auto parts store. A quick test is to pull the serpentine belt and then idle the engine. If the noise persists, then it's not serpentine related.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Another thought: If you are the owner of a torque wrench, or can bribe someone who has access to one, check that your spark plugs are all torqued to spec (13 foot pounds). Some have been known to back out on these Pilots.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
alternator wouldn't surprise me, I had a weak battery 2 days ago and had to jump it, and battery is less than 2 years old. I'll check that first tomorrow morning. I am hoping it's something along the belt and not more serious...

I'll start with taking off the be;t to confirm vicinity of noise,then check pulley and alternator

I've done brakes/rotors on this vehicle and others, replaced belts and alternators on previous vehicles, so I can do basic stuff myself with vids from YouTube to guide me. It just eats time, and I need to get back on the road ASAP, I'm doing Uber 50 hours per week to pay the bills since covid destroyed my business back in March.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
nope, not the alternator. Took the serpentine belt off and started engine for a few seconds... Still there, and I'm worried its coming from the engine itself :-/
After further research in this forum, I'm leaning towards timing belt tensioner

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
I’m gonna go with TBelt Tensioner.. do you know the history? My saga pilot got timing belt and water pump around 105k but they reused idler and tensioner so at 138k my tensioner is loud on top of everything else I have to deal with.. goes hand in hand with the head replacement though so no biggie.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I’m gonna go with TBelt Tensioner.. do you know the history? My saga pilot got timing belt and water pump around 105k but they reused idler and tensioner so at 138k my tensioner is loud on top of everything else I have to deal with.. goes hand in hand with the head replacement though so no biggie.
bought it at 103k miles from carmax, no history on previous work. But with 3 years and 87k miles since buying it, its likely due for timing belt. Can't believe how pricey it is, pepboys where I get oil changes quoted me $1200+ to replace timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler!

update:
I picked up a 4.99 mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight, sounds like it's coming from inside the upper rear timing cover, right above where where the tensioner is. Watched a video on youtube, Going to see if anyone is available from my church to assist or guide me a bit, I can't afford anything near the $1,200 I've been quoted, but I can definitely afford the AISIN kit with water pump and a few new tools (as needed) to do it at home.

This video makes it look like something I could do over 2 days...

I want to confirm that it's not "rod knock" (someone who heard it yesterday suggested thats what it sounded like to them) before I pull the timing covers off and order the kit. Any advice on where I should listen with the stethoscope for that?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Aisin kit and the South Main Auto guy's video. (y)

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
You can definitely get it done over the course of 2 days. Biggest hurdle is the crank bolt, getting it off and also back on are assisted with some specialty tools. Lisle thick wall socket and an impact will get it right off.. there are cheap pulley holders on amazon to assist on tightening it back up.

You’ll also want torque wrenches. I have a really nice 1/2 I use for big stuff but the little harbor freight jobs haven’t failed me yet for small stuff like water pump bolts.

I once was using a 3/8 torque wrench to tighten water pump bolts on a Subaru.. spec was 9 ftlbs.. torque wrench only went down to 10 ftlbs.. I thought what’s 1 ftlb? That’s why there is a 6mmx1.0 helicoil kit in my toolbox now.

Where are you? If your local to me (just south of Boston) I can help.. either way a bunch of great help here and Eric O’s video is very thorough.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
FYI : Home Depot BF ad has Husky torque wrenched for $49. Not SnapOn quality but good enough for DIY and good warranty. Some stores have them out now.
330C75B4-A00D-4275-B044-0FEDE164CB68.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Can anyone recommend where to get/order the Aisin kit the quickest?

I picked up this 25inch breaker bar for $14.99 (early black friday sale through this thursday) to use with the 50mm crankshaft pulley wrench I borrowed from autozone today...

Will probably get this 1/2 inch torque wrench tomorrow with the 20% coupon I"ve got for harbor freight, its got 20-150 foot pound range and lifetime warranty on the pittsburgh tool line.

May get an air impact wrench there too. Trying to keep the cost down but still be back on the road by Wednesday night

I soaked some penetrating oil on the pulley bolt an hour ago, but can't get it to budge yet. May have to use a propane blowtorch on it to get it to break free.

thanks for the offer, formerfordguy, but I'm in sunny Sacramento, Corruptifornia for a few more years, lol.
BTW, I;m a former ford guy too, Had an 03 exploder Sport trac with the big v6, I loved the power in that thing, but something broke down every 4 or 5 months. Plastic housing on the thermostat cracked and leaked 4 times, radiator, water pump, fuel pump, you name it.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
In these days of postal uncertainty, I'd say Rockauto. Hold on and I'll try to dig up a direct link for you.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Here you go. :)

Don't forget your 5% Piloteers discount.

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks!
ordered tkh002

The bolt is no joke, btw, I'm 220 pounds and put everything I had into trying to free it, and just broke a 3/8 extension, lol.
letting it soak overnight and will try again in the morning...

What do you all think of this method, lmao???

·
Read Only
293 Posts
To get the crank bolt pulley off, you need a lisle crank bolt pulley socket and an air impact, you're going to pull your hair out trying to get it off with hand tools. What I would do is take the car to a shop with the plastic pulley cover close to removal, and with the socket in hand, and go to a local shop, ask them if they can zap it for you and put it back on lightly, then drive it home gingerly. Save yourself the headache of buying all of the tools, breaking the tools and getting tools you don't need.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I don't like the starter method. That's a lot of torque to subject your starter to.
To do the jackstand method, you will need 1/2 impact grade extensions (or a quality brand) Harbor Freighthas these. A 4ft cheater pipe to slip over your breaker bar. My harbor freight floor jack handle comes off and works great for this.

Reactions: STMech

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
So, where can I read about this fabled 'jack stand' method.

I don't have to do it, but I love to learn.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
thanks!
ordered tkh002

The bolt is no joke, btw, I'm 220 pounds and put everything I had into trying to free it, and just broke a 3/8 extension, lol.
letting it soak overnight and will try again in the morning...

What do you all think of this method, lmao???
So, the bumper was removed too? It looks like it, the side fender? What?

I've never done this, and still may not, but,
I like the ingenuity about bumping the starter, I have to assume the breaker bar whacks up against a frame member somewhere then? Brilliant IMHO.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts