Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my Pilot up from the dealer today with a new engine block and transmission after only 15,600 miles.

I was driving on the highway going 70 then the 4Wheel Drive light came on and the Engine Lost All Power. After a day of investigating the Dealer found that the bolt that holds on the Timing Belt Tension spring broke off into the engine block. (The same dealer replaced this bolt 6 months ago on a Recall from Honda.) They tried to remove the bolt from the block for two days and were unsuccessful.

They replaced the Block and had to put in a new transmission due to the sudden stop in power the bolt bouncing around the block.

Did anyone else take their Pilot in for the Recall from Honda, and has any else had problems with the Timing Belt?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, sorry about your predicament.

Looks like you could have prevented all that additional damage had you taken it in for the recall a couple of months back. I think that notice went out shortly after the Pilot started selling 6/2002. Only certain VIN numbers were affected.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the recall performed by the same dealer 6 months eariler. I went in about two days after I recived the notice.

I trying to find out if the dealer made a mistake when they performed the recall work.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
The most common mistake w/r/t the waterpump casting recall repair resulted in a sheared power steering pulley, usually within days or a couple of weeks.

A few people have had their autotensioner replaced after complaining about pinging/rattling under acceleration (presumably a chattering belt, I guess). I assume the tensioner defect was with the hydraulic component (not enough tension) rather than the bolt/mount itself.

You're the first to report a total failure of the autotensioner with the bolt breaking off and ending up in the block, though. Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
TheWorm said:
[snip]
A few people have had their autotensioner replaced after complaining about pinging/rattling under acceleration (presumably a chattering belt, I guess). I assume the tensioner defect was with the hydraulic component (not enough tension) rather than the bolt/mount itself.
Arrrgh! It's at times like this when I wish my car was under recall for the waterpump. Then, at least I can have the dealer take a look at the components around it, such as the autotensioner you spoke of. I'm still living with the maddening pinging/rattling noise that comes on whenever I step on the Pilot a bit.

My car now has about 15,000miles on it (25,000KM). I started hearing the noise shortly after I got the car. I figure if something in the waterpump/timing belt related component is gonna go, it'll be soon. I just hope it doesn't happen during our week long trip to the mountains for which we take tomorrow morning. I've got my fingers crossed.:(

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Man, oh, man, tseymou, sorry to hear about your Pilot like that. I guess the saving grace is that now you have a peace of mind that all has been repaired and the problem now shouldn't occur again.

One question, did you hear any pinging/rattling/tapping noise coming from the engine, even if very faint, when you stepped on the gas moderately hard or harder, especially when the RPM went over 2K? Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
This happened to a Reviewer-Edmonds maybe??

Wow,this is exactly the same thing that happened to a Car Review writer-maybe it was Edmonds,but I really don't remember.It was posted here a month or so back.His Pilot "punted" in the middle of nowhere(in one of the western states with lots of middle of nowhere) with his family onboard-little kids etc.
Glad all is well.Charlie

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: This happened to a Reviewer-Edmonds maybe??

charlie said:
Wow,this is exactly the same thing that happened to a Car Review writer-maybe it was Edmonds, . . .
No it is not!

What happened to the reviewer was his Pilot missed the recall and had the timing belt fail due to the exact issue covered by the recall.

Why he missed the recall is not explained.

I suspect that Honda, the Dealer, or the magazine (probably all three) did a poor job traking the owner/user of the vehicle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
yup. N-jay has it right. And it was Edmunds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Right,I wasn't precise-Bad news for all of us!!

You guys are right.I meant that was a failure seemingly related to the recall issue.This is actually bad news for all of us,or at least something to watch(worry about)..It is a part that is closely related to the recall issue,so it makes you wonder.
Maybe the mechanic who did the recall "fix" made a mistake with this bolt (not tight enough so it wobbled,or so tight it was weakened-).I don't remember the exact details of the recall(something about a casting flaw causing interference with the timing belt??),but I would guess he had to loosen or remove the tensioner to do the repair.This would be the best answer for Pilot owners,since it would make it an isolated issue.If it is something else-maybe the "original flaw" "weakens" other parts involved with the timing belt;Weakens them in ways not readily apparent.Bad news!!
I just bought my EX Pilot from Gunn Honda (Brandon Heath was the online rep I dealt with(nice guy) in San Antonio yesterday.It took maybe an hour in the dealership.The price was good enough to fly in to San Antonio from New Orleans(tickets were ~$300 for the 2 of us) and to drive home 540 miles(8.5 hours).
21.7mpg at 70mph all highway for the 1st tank.
Sorry for my imprecision,Charlie

·
Registered
168 Posts
when dealing with something as critical, anything could get messed up. If it means anything, I had mine taken care of and have yet to notice any difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
This was an August 2002 recall of about 17,500 early production vehicles. Here's the info from the NHTSA site:

Make: HONDA
Model: PILOT
Year: 2003
Recall Number: 02V226000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, SEDANS, COUPES, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH V6 ENGINES, A TIMING BELT TENSIONER PULLEY ON THE WATER PUMP IS MISALIGNED AND COULD CAUSE THE TIMING BELT TO CONTACT A BOLT ON THE CYLINDER HEAD. EVENTUALLY THE BELT COULD BE DAMAGED AND FAIL.
Consequence:
IF THE TIMING BELT BREAKS, THE ENGINE WILL STALL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE WATER PUMP AND IF IT IS ONE OF THE DEFECTIVE PUMPS, THE WATER PUMP AND TIMING BELT WILL BE REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN AUGUST 30, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1099 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.
Notes:
ALSO, CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

BTW, if you are concerned, check Honda's owners link to see if your VIN is the subject of any recall by Honda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts