Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edmunds.com has a new SUV comparison. Some interesting rankings.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
So the Pilot's "Lows" were, "Feels big and heavy compared with the others, bland personality.".

Bland personality? Maybe. But "Feels big..."??? It IS bigger and heavier than the rest of the field. Very perceptive!

I like how they rated the Toyota though!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Speak With Your Heart

This is the best part: If you look under Final Rankings and Scoring Explanation, Pilot scored highest under Personal Rating, defined as: "Purely subjective. After the test, each participating editor was asked to rank the SUVs in order of preference based on which he or she would buy if money were no object."

Scores:
Honda Pilot 83
Mitsubishi Endeavor 75
Nissan Murano 42
Toyota Highlander 58

So, which one really wins? Pilot!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Speak With Your Heart

Gordo said:
This is the best part: If you look under Final Rankings and Scoring Explanation, Pilot scored highest under Personal Rating, defined as: "Purely subjective. After the test, each participating editor was asked to rank the SUVs in order of preference based on which he or she would buy if money were no object."

Scores:
Honda Pilot 83
Mitsubishi Endeavor 75
Nissan Murano 42
Toyota Highlander 58

So, which one really wins? Pilot!
I read the whole thing and read this page last...
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/100318/page015.html

based on that the only thing they found lacking in the Pilot compared to the others was performance. Other than that the Pilot blew the others away.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
smurray said:
So the Pilot's "Lows" were, "Feels big and heavy compared with the others, bland personality.".

Bland personality? Maybe. But "Feels big..."??? It IS bigger and heavier than the rest of the field. Very perceptive!

I like how they rated the Toyota though!
My main thoughts about the Edmunds articles:

1. One person's "bland personality" is another person's "classic, non-trendy styling that'll wear well."

2. Seats that become uncomfortable and "feel hard" after a little time passes? Since they're evaluating leather seats and I have cloth, I can't judge except to say my husband and I both find our seats very comfortable on trips whether long or short.....

3. Re "Feels big" and "lumbers down the highway like a bear" (or similar words): Since the day I first drove the Pilot, I've been telling everybody about my biggest first impressions: "It drives, handles, and just FEELS like a smaller vehicle than it really is" and "It drives so smoothly and performs so well that it practically drives itself down the highway."

4. Can it be that they're talking about the same vehicle I know and enjoy? Are my powers of perception that skewed? Or maybe I've wandered into the Twilight Zone....

Anyway, I guess the fact that opinions and judgments can vary to such a degree helps keep the world turning.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
On Thursday, I did a survey rating on 6 SUVs in Santa Fe, CA. This survey is where they pay you $100 for the two hours session. There were Pilot, Murano, Highlander, Explorer, one I could not identify, and one test SUV. After walking around, getting in and out, and trying all seat positions for all vehicles, Pilot still came out on top of my list as a result (1. Pilot 2. Highlander, 3. Murano, 4. Explorer 5. ??? 6. test SUV).

This Saturday morning, I was in the focus group, round table discussing about the rating we did for the same vehicles. Guess what, I got another $100 for that too :D. Until the middle of the session, I realized that the focus group was focusing on the test SUV and not much on other SUVs. The test SUV looks like it'll be from Huyndai or other Korean company. None of the exterior and interior were original. Every little feature of the test SUV was taken from other cars. Pretty much, the whole session was asking us what do see on other vehicles that we would like to see on this test vehicle. I made my suggestion what I like on the new SUV but in the end when they asked if I would buy, I answered no. My answer, "Stick with Toyota or a Honda, and I can't go wrong." However, the test vehicle has an amazing value - bigger engine, HP, torgue; 5 spd auto, roof racks, all wheel drive, sunroof, wood trim, leather, and 3rd row seatings; all for under $26K.

Anyway, I have another survey session schedule for next week in the same area again. I really enjoy these surveys and the pays. I hope this time I'll get to survey all the coupes on the market because I'm ready to buy a Honda EX V6 Coupe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I too liked their rating of the Highlander :2:

The part that caught my attention was gas mileage and weight. The Pilot about tied for best observed fuel economy (HP-20.5mpg vs. THL-20.8mpg). The Pilot did this while weighing in 559lbs more than the HL and 20 more horses under the hood. Now that's an accomplishment!

Honda's engine refinement and efficiency is way ahead of it's competition.

-Pete

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ziploc said:

4. Can it be that they're talking about the same vehicle I know and enjoy? Are my powers of perception that skewed? Or maybe I've wandered into the Twilight Zone....

Anyway, I guess the fact that opinions and judgments can vary to such a degree helps keep the world turning.....
I think part of the problem is these guys also drive Lexus, BMW etc.

My house is big compared to the apartments I used to live in. It's small compared to the homes that many families live in. Perspective, I think affects their opinions.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
florida_guy said:

I think part of the problem is these guys also drive Lexus, BMW etc.

My house is big compared to the apartments I used to live in. It's small compared to the homes that many families live in. Perspective, I think affects their opinions.
I fully agree with the point you make, florida_guy. But, these "experts" should be comparing the Pilot to just the other three vehicles, not vehicles in the Lexus, BMW, etc., class.

If I were accustomed to driving high-end Lexus, Mercedes, etc., SUVs prior to my Pilot purchase, I might find that the Pilot wouldn't satisfy me as fully as it does. But honestly, in everything that's important to me from the perspective I have, the Pilot more than fills the bill (with the possible exception of fuel economy, since my mpg numbers are consistently lower than average for other Pilots).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
kippy95 said:
Anyway, I have another survey session schedule for next week in the same area again. I really enjoy these surveys and the pays.
Gee, kippy95, aren't you the lucky one. Everybody wants my opinion, but no one wants to pay for it!!! :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
I guess Mitsubishi bid the highest for the test results...

This is valuable marketing for them...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's amazing to me how performance figures vary from one authority to another (I'm aware that weather conditions affect the final numbers). Car and Driver got 7.6 and 8.1 seconds 0 - 60 for the Pilot in two different tests.

In that C&D comparison, the Pilot was slightly quicker than the Mitsu., though only 1/10 of second. How's that quote go... winning is winning, whether it's by an inch or a mile. :2:

Seems like the Pilot's power is just fine. :cool:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
3. Re "Feels big" and "lumbers down the highway like a bear" (or similar words): Since the day I first drove the Pilot, I've been telling everybody about my biggest first impressions: "It drives, handles, and just FEELS like a smaller vehicle than it really is" and "It drives so smoothly and performs so well that it practically drives itself down the highway."

That confused me too- I have always noticed this as a safe and stable feeling, an absolute plus in my book, -not a "lumbering bear".
I highly recommend reading the neither nor article from C&D. Great snow pic of the Pilot too :D

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
actually I agree with the critisim of the Pilot having soft brakes. I have also felt it's brakes are a little soft....

·
Registered
305 Posts
0-60

i commented on the Edmunds Pilot board that the 8.5 seconds achieved by the Edmunds testers is slow. As pointed out here, other testers have gotten almost a full second quicker. And I will definitely stick to my guns that it is quicker than 8.5 even in daily driving (i.e., no hard launch using the brake and gas simultaneously). I think the Edmunds testers must have forgotten to remove a few hundred pounds of bricks they obviously picked up from Home Depot before running the timer.

Oh, and soft brakes? No doubt. The stopping distances in the Pilot are horrible. Just a matter of adjusting driving habits a bit, though. Its my biggest complaint on the vehicle, and I don't even consider it that big a deal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: 0-60

Qbrozen said:
Oh, and soft brakes? No doubt. The stopping distances in the Pilot are horrible. Just a matter of adjusting driving habits a bit, though. Its my biggest complaint on the vehicle, and I don't even consider it that big a deal. [/B]
The poor braking on the Pilot might be caused by the poor OEM Goodyear tires.
The ABS even kicked in once when I was braking on a good road & good weather condition around 15 mph!

I simply can't trust the OEM Goodyear tires in any condition.

Tat

·
Registered
121 Posts
Who gives a _ _ _ _ what Edmund's thinks.

just my $ .02

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
ck55 said:
Who gives a _ _ _ _ what Edmund's thinks.

just my $ .02
I suspect that Honda does. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts