Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

New door speakers and disconnecting the tweeters

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  tim.s 
#1 ·
I went to a stereo shop this weekend and inquired about putting new speakers in my Pilot. I told them that I thought the sound seemed quite muffled to me and that the treble sounded real high at anything but a real low setting, and that the bass sounded quite "boomey" to me. I really don't know much about stereo systems so I hope what I'm explaining makes sense to you guys.

In any event, the salesman said that he could either replace all the door speakers and replace the tweeters in the dash as well, or that he could just put in even better (more expensive) speakers and just disconnect the tweeters, as he said many people just don't like the sound produced by the separate tweeters.

Do any of you find that to be the case? Have any of you just gone with better door speakers and disconnected the tweeters all together? Or did you upgrade the door speakers as well as the tweeters?

I'd really like your opinions/thoughts on this matter.

Thanks!

Denise
(DTorkelson@aol.com)

See less See more
#2 ·
I upgraded the four door speakers, and disconnected the sub-woofer. The raadio is 1000% better! I don't miss the woofer, as there is plenty of bass coming from the new door speakers.

I didn't try disconnecting the tweeters, but would be very interested in what you experience. Give it a try. :)

Before I upgraded the speakers, I got a loud hum while listening to AM and going under power lines. Now, that doesn't happen. An unexpected bonus!

#4 ·
I was afraid someone would ask me what kind of speakers I upgraded to. The fact is I don't really know. I asked the service manager to save the box they came in, but it tells me nothing.

My dealer did the work. Evidently there is a speaker upgrade kit available for the Honda Odyssey, and that is what they put in my Pilot. They are coaxial speakers, and larger than the original. They had to make some modifications to the brackets to get them in.

All I know for sure is, it was a BIG improvement!

I am wondering if disconnecting the tweeters might make it even better?

#6 ·
hhayward said:
...I asked the service manager to save the box they came in, but it tells me nothing...Evidently there is a speaker upgrade kit available for the Honda Odyssey, and that is what they put in my Pilot.
Does the box have a Honda part number, something like P/N08A55-371-210?

This is a description I saw for the Odyssey speaks says:
Set of 2, replace both stock front speakers. Direct plug in installation...On them Odyssey EX model the replacement speakers are about the same quality as the stock front speakers, however the stock front speakers can be moved to rear speaker location (they are higher quality than the stock rear speakers)
It makes me wonder if the Pilot has the same set up (front speakers are better quality than the rear speakers). hhayward, did they give you the old speakers? You might be able to compare the construction.

#7 ·
This is what it says on the box:

6.5" CO-AXIAL KIT
08A55-371-340

Sorry, but I promised not to reveal what my cost was. I have bought seven new Hondas from this dealer. Maybe that gives you a hint?

#8 ·
Thanks hhayward, I'm betting you got a good "discount". ;)

The part number you posted looks like it is the co-axial upgrade for the CR-V. Here's a link to the part on Hondacuraworld.com.
Odyssey or CR-V shouldn't matter too much, just maybe different hole patterns like you mentioned - and both are about the same price for the rest of us. But for others upgrading who can't get your discount, an aftermarket brand is probably as good or better.
Originally posted by hhayward
...I am wondering if disconnecting the tweeters might make it even better?
You could always simply disconnect the cables to the dash speakers and try it for a while. Then if you don't like it as well, just plug them back in.

#9 ·
Re: post by hhayward and tim.s about speaker upgrade

Per tim.s's link to the part number hhayward provided, it says it is a "front woofer speaker upgrade," so does this mean that Honda did not actually provide full upgraded speakers for you hhayward, just an upgraded subwoofer? Perhaps they are in fact upgraded speakers with a better subwoofer in them and that is why they disconnected the subwoofer in the back???? That would make sense. :rolleyes:

#10 ·
Re: Re: post by hhayward and tim.s about speaker upgrade

DeniseT said:
Per tim.s's link to the part number hhayward provided, it says it is a "front woofer speaker upgrade," so does this mean that Honda did not actually provide full upgraded speakers for you hhayward, just an upgraded subwoofer? Perhaps they are in fact upgraded speakers with a better subwoofer in them and that is why they disconnected the subwoofer in the back???? That would make sense. :rolleyes: [/QUOTE

They are definitely an upgrade to the door speakers, and yes they most likely provide enough "woofer" that a separate subwoofer is not needed. Do the Odyssey and CRV have separate subwoofers? My subwoofer was disconnected before the door speakers were upgraded. It was my decision not to hook it up again, and in my opinion it is not needed.

#11 ·
You could always simply disconnect the cables to the dash speakers and try it for a while. Then if you don't like it as well, just plug them back in. [/B][/QUOTE]

tim.s

How do I get at the cables?

#12 ·
Re: Re: post by hhayward and tim.s about speaker upgrade

DeniseT said:
Per tim.s's link to the part number hhayward provided, it says it is a "front woofer speaker upgrade," so does this mean that Honda did not actually provide full upgraded speakers for you hhayward, just an upgraded subwoofer?...
The speakers in the link are 6 1/2 inch door speakers, they just called them woofers to indicate the full range capability. From the picture they look like co-axial speakers with a separate tweeter mounted in front of the woofer.

Speaker types are generally referred to as "tweeters" (above 2 kHz), "mid-range" or "woofers" (2 kHz down to 100 Hz) , and "sub-woofers (below 100Hz). "Full range" speakers try to cover the whole range from 20 kHz down to 20 Hz with either a single driver or in the case of 2-way and 3-way speakers multiple drivers in a single frame. "Component" speakers come as a separate woofer and tweeter pair and are often mounted like in the Pilot - door and dash respectively.

#13 ·
hhayward said:
How do I get at the cables?
Yeah, you are right, it might not be "simple". I was implying that you only need to un-hook them and not remove them to test the difference. Over in this thread, hop23 stated that the dash speakers are in parallel with the doors so there might be a connector inside the door or in the dash. I know I read somewhere someone disconnected the dash speakers, but they didn't say how.

PrG posted the upgrade instructions from Crutchfield which shows how to remove the rear side panel covering subwoofer. I *think* I read in another thread that the amplifier is located behind this panel, next to the sub.

#14 ·
Turns out it is easy to disconnect the tweeters.
  1. Gently pry up the tweeter cover (tweeter is attached to the cover) from the dash.
  2. "Wiggle" the tweeter up out of the dash
  3. Follow the wiring down if the connector isn't visible and pull through opening
  4. The connector is a "pinch" clip which simply slides apart
  5. If you are not upgrading the tweeter and plan to leave it disconnected, cover the connector end leading back into the dash before re-installing the cover.
    [/list=1]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.