Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I love my Sagebrush EX-L Nav.....BUT really wish the door handles weren't just plain black. Painted or chrome...anything but black.

So, the MDX has chrome handles and they seem to be the exact same design as our Pilot's. Cool...I thought, but according to the Acura dealership, the handles are about $95 apiece and about $100 bucks per door of labor. Ow.

So, any ideas? Cheaper parts anywhere else or should I maybe troll the salvage yards?

I'd buy them and some better speakers and have them all installed at one time, but I'm nervous about rattles after removing the door panels. Has anyone had any experience with these sorta mods?

Thanks!
Dallas

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?......anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Someone on the MDX site had his handles painted to match the car. If I remember correctly it was a black 'X and the handles were painted the same glossy black. He had pictures on his post.

Maybe you could see what the price would be for painting or getting them chromed.

:)

·
Registered
486 Posts
If the MDX parts do indeed fit the Pilot, you can buy them much cheaper at any discount supplier like this one:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=MDX&catcgry2=2001&catcgry3=5DR+MDX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=FRONT+DOOR+LOCKS

You can also try Tim and Hondaacuraworld.com. As far as installation, any corner body shop can do this. It's very easy. Take into account that the key cylinders would need to be retained from your Pilot.

Let us know if you follow through with this, I'd like to know if the handles do indeed fit. I too, will have the Sage....soon...

·
Registered
486 Posts
MDX chrome handle assembly (#38) is about $60. ea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MDXlite....I'm in Atlanta too...with a Sagebrush...we'll have to make sure we don't show up to the same functions! LOL

Thing is, all I need is the handles....nothing inside the door unless I'm just assuming wrong.

Thanks for the advice!

Dallas

·
Registered
486 Posts
Dallas, two sagebrush Pilots in Atlanta?! Can't be!;) I'll wave if you wave!

The parts diagram is multipurpose. I posted because it's the only one i could find. The handle only is numered 38. Each part there that has a number is available seperately. Anyway, hope you find what you're looking for.

So, how do you like the Sage color? Which dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can anyone verify if the MDX chrome handles will fit on the Pilot?

·
Registered
486 Posts
They 'look' the same and it would cost more to make them different, but ya never know. You should call a large Honda/Acura dealer with a body shop, they may be able to help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Handles

Changing the handles is not a simple task. Have you thought of a chrome moulding?? I would think a autobody supply com. may have the same material as the mirror covers and bumper garnish...it is just a flexable plastic that looks like chrome. You could make a template and then match up the piece??? I know it will only cover the "flat piece" of the handle....I do not know how it would look??? Just a thought!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would love to get body colored or chrome door handles for my Pilot (I almost didn't buy it because of them).
I think changing them would be way too much money though.

I do take some refuge in knowing that Mercedes puts black handles on the M series.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BillR said:
I would love to get body colored or chrome door handles for my Pilot (I almost didn't buy it because of them).
I think changing them would be way too much money though.

I do take some refuge in knowing that Mercedes puts black handles on the M series.
- funny you should mention that, our other car is a '99 ML 320 with the black handles - they look terrible too thanks to waxing the car with a buffer and making some mistakes. I really need to be careful with the Pilot.

If anyone has any luck with a mod on this let us know.

And for those two Atlanta folks with Sage - how did you find those?! I really want to see that color in person!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I was just about to buy a black Pilot from Curry Honda. They tried to *@#% me around last second and I left. I then went to Roswell Honda....they were cool, but didn't have anything I liked on the lot. On the way home I hear a commercial for Gwinnet Place Honda and that they were GA's largest dealership. So I called and mentioned that I wanted a Pilot but would probably wait till I saw the Sagebrush. Surprisingly they had one delivered that day (Aug 1st). I immediately went and saw it.....wait BOUGHT it! The color sold me. I even got the NAV (that I wasn't planning on) just so I could take it home that day. Plus they gave me a good trade-in.

Dallas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thought I would bring this subject back on the table.

Good News!! I finally got my Havasu EX!:D

Bad News!! I still don't like those black handles!:(

Just wondering if anybody has had any luck painting or changing the handles.

I absolutely love my Pilot. I guess you can't have EVERYTHING!! ....
Or can you?

Where there's a will, there's a way!:29:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder how much it would cost to get the handles painted in the same color as the car. Anyone done this or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is one of the main reasons we bought ours black (besides the fact that we lave how it looks on black and was our #1 choice) and on the black Pilot the door handles are none issue as they look body colored, but I feel what you guys are complaining about. If I could chrome dip them for few $$ I would. I like the look.

·
Registered
991 Posts
zotomomo said:
Thought I would bring this subject back on the table.

Good News!! I finally got my Havasu EX!:D

Bad News!! I still don't like those black handles!:(

Just wondering if anybody has had any luck painting or changing the handles.

I absolutely love my Pilot. I guess you can't have EVERYTHING!! ....
Or can you?

Where there's a will, there's a way!:29:
I did check this out myself, there is no problem painting the handles, BUT,, you have to remove the door panels (hours in labour) and then take the handles off, then paint them, I really want the handles painted, but the cost just does not justify the means. I guess will leave them black, unless someone wants to take a change and try to paint the handles on the door itself?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts