Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pilot with 236,000 miles. The check engine light has been sputtering on and off for several months with a catalytic converter error code. Auto Zone recommended Cataclean, and it does make the check engine light go away. It costs about $30 a bottle. I probably need to replace the timing belt and water pump soon. I have also been experiencing a phenomenon where it takes a long time for the engine to start in the middle of the day. It starts fine first thing in the morning, but the second start always takes longer. The battery is good, and there are no other error codes. Even with all of these issues, it is a really good vehicle. I was hoping to drive it until 250,000 or 300,000.

With that being said, the new 2019 models are acceptable and will probably last me another 250,000. I am thinking about buying one and trading in the 2009 model. I don't know if it is worth throwing another $2000 to $3000 into the 2009 model. Anyone out there regret buying a newer model?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
5 Posts
I’m in the same exact boat as you, so I’m curious to hear what you eventually ended up doing: replacing the cat or buying a new car? We have a 2009 with 198,000 miles. The check engine light has actually been on for years. I tried 2 or 3 different cat-cleaner-in-a-bottle solutions but the check engine light always stayed on. The “bad cat” never affected performance of the vehicle, but now that Vermont has tightened its emissions laws, we won’t pass inspection this year. So it’s time to sink the $2,000 in for catalytic converter or trade it in.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am thinking about buying one and trading in the 2009 model. I don't know if it is worth throwing another $2000 to $3000 into the 2009 model
Clear the CEL then visit CarMax who can give you a quick no obligation value. Replacement CAT, timing belt&pump would probably set you back approx $1800 assuming that’s all the major issues. New ones are nice but they all have their unique issues to reach 250k. I’m crazy enough throwing 2-3k updating my ‘04 so I’ve got different plans for my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have a 2009 Pilot with 236,000 miles. The check engine light has been sputtering on and off for several months with a catalytic converter error code. Auto Zone recommended Cataclean, and it does make the check engine light go away. It costs about $30 a bottle. I probably need to replace the timing belt and water pump soon. I have also been experiencing a phenomenon where it takes a long time for the engine to start in the middle of the day. It starts fine first thing in the morning, but the second start always takes longer. The battery is good, and there are no other error codes. Even with all of these issues, it is a really good vehicle. I was hoping to drive it until 250,000 or 300,000.

With that being said, the new 2019 models are acceptable and will probably last me another 250,000. I am thinking about buying one and trading in the 2009 model. I don't know if it is worth throwing another $2000 to $3000 into the 2009 model. Anyone out there regret buying a newer model?
Whoa, hold on a minute. Your going from one end of the spectrum to the other. If your absolutely sure your pilot is not saveable. Take the 3 grand and buy you a good used Pilot with less miles. No need to go in debt for 30-40 grand. 2nd Gens are nice if you want to splurge.

Reactions: PJSWORLD
1 - 4 of 4 Posts