Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck with a product that leaves the car smelling like new? I have heard of some leather conditioners that work well.... but I have cloth interior, so that won't help me.... Just wondering if there is something that actually works out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
be careful what you wish for

The "new car smell" is actually a plastic by product called acrolein. That substance is also a breakdown product of the anti-cancer cyclophosphamide, a known mutagen.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
plagerised from a web-site....

Many people believe the smell comes from phthalates (THAL-ates), softeners used in plastic manufacture. Phthalates, which don't bond with the material and can leach out over time, are suspected of causing kidney and liver damage and other health problems. Toys R Us recently pulled infants' soft-plastic teething toys from its shelves lest kids get a gutful of the chemicals.

One account of the dangers of phthalates quotes David Ozonoff, MD, chair of the department of environmental health at the Boston University School of Public Health: "When you buy a new car and smell that great 'new car' smell, you are largely smelling the phthalates that are in the plastics on the inside of the car." Ha! New-car smell is bad for you! Some feel that people with "multiple chemical sensitivity" are particularly at risk. You can even buy a special device to filter the air in your car.

However, when we contacted Dr. Ozonoff and asked him why he thought new-car smell was caused by phthalates, he merely referred us to the folks at Greenpeace. Joe Di Gangi, a biochemist with the Greenpeace toxics campaign, said that while phthalates definitely "outgas" and cause part of the oily residue on your windshield, he wasn't sure if they caused new-car smell. Technical references and several chemists described the smell of phthalates as "slight."

Frustrated, Jane called up manufacturers of new-car sprays--yup, you can use 'em to make your beater smell like new--to ask what was in the stuff. One guy hung up on her. What are these people hiding?

The only research we could find was a 1995 analysis of the air in a new Lincoln Continental (check it out yourself at www.sisweb.com/referenc/appln ote/app-36-a.htm). More than 50 volatile organic compounds were found, suggesting that new-car smell was a mix of lubricants, solvents, adhesives, gasoline, and no doubt some bits from the vinyl, though it's hard to say exactly what. None of these things is necessarily good for you. I hate to cause a panic . . . well, actually I love to cause a panic. All I'm saying is that people like new-car smell, and from long experience we know that if you like something, it's bad.

--CECIL ADAMS

·
Registered
145 Posts
ramirami said:
...suggesting that new-car smell was a mix of lubricants, solvents, adhesives, gasoline, and no doubt some bits from the vinyl...
Ahh...the fresh smell of a new car! And to think we want the smell to last forever.

--Bret

·
Registered
305 Posts
LOL. This is some funny stuff. Never thought about it.

anyhoo, I love the smell of new leather, and it seemed to me that was the prevalent smell in our new Pilot. I have a cure to kill this new car smell, though, if you are interested. Get a moonroof installed! Oh, no, it has nothing to do with opening the roof and letting the air vent. But having that toxic glue smell permeate everything in the car for a few days has completely eliminated the new car smell!

Personally, I miss it. Guess I'll have to make a trip to a combination leather treatment/plastic bending/carpet manufacturer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our Pilot is nine months old and STILL has that awesome new car-leather smell. Some guy hit my wife on the passenger side when our Pilot was only six weeks old, and after it was repaired (excellent job - can't even tell) it smelled like paint, and I was really upset. But it's been a few months since the accident and it's smellin' like new again. I LOVE OUR PILOT.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
What about old car smell?

My Pilot is about 3 months old and I still notice the smell. But nothing like I did the day I first looked at the car when it came in to the dealer and still wasn't prepped (still had all the plastic and body protection). I opened the door and took a a whiff - WOW! :D

Then I noticed the smell of my 12 year old Ford Taurus. After it's been sitting in the Sun all day, it smells like my father's '54 Plymouth Belvedere.:16:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
While I don't notice it as much after 13 months, everyone who gets in my Pilot for the first time comments on its new car smell. How many parts per million of new car smell are required to be a sure-fire carcinogen?

·
Registered
633 Posts
New-car smell is going away: It's no good for you
By Hans Greimel, Associated Press

TOKYO — Anyone who's pulled away from the dealer's lot in a shiny, new car knows the seductive scent of fresh plastic, paint and upholstery that evokes a rush of pride and consumer satisfaction.

But that unmistakable new-car smell may soon be heading the way of the rumble seat: Recent research linking it to a toxic cocktail of harmful chemicals is spurring efforts by Japanese automakers to tone down the fumes.

Japanese manufacturers have become the first to set an industrywide goal of reducing cabin concentrations to within government guidelines. The push could spur similar action by U.S. and European rivals, making interior air quality an emerging auto safety issue

Full article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-09-26-new-car-smell_x.htm

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
robottik said:
New-car smell is going away: It's no good for you
damn health... those sissys :rolleyes: :3: :4: :p

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I hate new car smell, especially that of the Pilot. Gave me a headache for days. It's finally completely gone after nearly two years. This is an old thread, isn't it? See what I mean?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
just recieve this

Japanese Damping New-Car Smell

Is new-car smell a savory scent, or a toxic combination of volatile organic compounds? Both, it turns out. And Japan's automakers are working to cut down on the new-car smell to reduce exposure by new-car owners. The AP reports that new-car smell is the result of emission of chemicals call volatile organic compounds, which are released from plastic, vinyl, glue, and paint in the first few months after a car is built. An Australian study says the compounds can cause sore throats, headaches, and drowsiness, and as a result, Japan's automakers are working to reduce the levels of organic compounds released into their new vehicles. By 2007, the levels of the compounds in cars will have to match those in homes and office buildings in Japan. Already, the AP says, Toyota has six models that meet the new standard; Nissan, four; and Honda, the new Civic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe we could hunt down the thread were someone had trouble with mice getting into her Pilot...we could test one of these mice and see if new car smell indeed causes cancer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here's another report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070408/sc_livescience/thatnewcarsmellnottoxicstudyfinds

That New-Car Smell? Not Toxic, Study Finds Charles Q. Choi
Special to LiveScience
LiveScience.com
Sat Apr 7, 9:05 PM ET

Breathe easy—new car smell is apparently non-toxic, although it might exacerbate allergies, new research suggests.

ADVERTISEMENT

The molecules responsible for the characteristic leathery, plastic aroma that suffuses new cars are known as volatile organic compounds. These are regularly emitted from plastics, synthetic fabrics, upholstery, carpets, adhesives, paints, cleaning materials and other sources. Only a fraction of these volatile organic compounds are obvious—the rest are odorless.

Toxicologist Jeroen Buters at the Technical University of Munich in Germany and his colleagues investigated the health effects of volatile organic compounds that cars emit. They focused on conditions mimicking those where the molecules would likely get emitted most in cars—when parked in hot sunshine.

Buters and his colleagues first collected molecules from the air inside a new car and a three-year-old vehicle of the same brand placed under 14,000 watts of light, where temperatures reached up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. They next exposed these compounds to human, mouse and hamster cells grown in lab dishes. These are commonly used to test toxicity.

New car smell does not appear to be toxic, the scientists found. Air from the new car did cause a slight aggravation of the immune response that could affect people with allergies, but the same was not seen with the older vehicle.

The scientists detailed their findings in the April 1 issue of the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

Buters also researches "sick building syndrome," in which people apparently get sick after working in new buildings, where the air can be loaded with volatile organic compounds.

Curiously, "if you had the concentration of volatile organic compounds in the air of new buildings that you had in new motor vehicles, you would immediately get sent home out of fear of sick building syndrome," Buters told LiveScience.

This discrepancy might be explained in part by the different mindsets people have when it comes to entering new cars versus new buildings, he said.

"There's a big discussion over whether sick building syndrome is real or not. We do know that in sick building syndrome, mindset is important," Buters said. "People are generally happier entering new cars than new workplaces. But another factor that might come into play is ventilation. If the smell is getting to you in the car, you can roll down your windows."

Buters also noted that car manufacturers have done a good job on reducing new car smell. "They are concerned about reducing these emissions," he said.

Top 10 Mysterious Diseases
The Most Popular Myths in Science
Top Ten Unexplained Phenomena
Original Story: That New-Car Smell? Not Toxic, Study Finds

Visit LiveScience.com for more daily news, views and scientific inquiry with an original, provocative point of view. LiveScience reports amazing, real world breakthroughs, made simple and stimulating for people on the go. Check out our collection of Science, Animal and Dinosaur Pictures, Science Videos, Hot Topics, Trivia, Top 10s, Voting, Amazing Images, Reader Favorites, and more. Get cool gadgets at the new LiveScience Store, sign up for our free daily email newsletter and check out our RSS feeds today!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070408/sc_livescience/thatnewcarsmellnottoxicstudyfinds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts