Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a 2003 Odyssey owner. We inherited this van from our in-laws and it currently has 210K on it. The previous owners trashed it and neglected it (not my in-laws), so I have been taking care of it with much-needed maintenance (self-made DIY mechanic) and keeping it running. Honestly I have been very impressed by how well this engine runs. Smooth as butter. The TX is crap, but that's another story.

We have 3 kids and are looking at Pilots for our next vehicle. From everything we've seen, heard, researched, we love 'em. I was naturally drawn to them given Honda's track record and the performance of this Ody. But even with all this information, we can't honestly have the same objective facts and experience as Pilot owners.

We're looking for something around ~3 years old with ~30K. In y'all's honest opinion, are these vehicles a good investment? Do they still stand up to Honda's dependability and reliability? Is there a specific year/model I should be looking for/avoiding? I'm willing to ignore the 3 year/30K rule if there's a model out there built like a tank. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most vehicles are a poor investment. Are you trying to find one whose value will appreciate over time?
I understand that. If I was looking for appreciation, I'd buy a classic muscle car. I just was looking for the opinion of pilot owners to determine if money spent on these vehicles was well spent in terms of reliability of said vehicle.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I liked my 2012 EXL. No major Issues and I always went above and beyond the maintenance requirements. I also put Hondacare on it. Ended up selling earlier then planned and got a 2018 EXL which I do like but I will say there is a few things that I don’t but hey its new!

Appreciation wise not gonna get much but I would look into which car/options would get me the most return when/If I ever sell it. Generally higher up models with more options (leather, navi, DVD etc) would command a higher price tag combined with good maintenance history, low miles etc

In terms 3 year 30k depends on what you can find and what your price range is. I would avoid 2016s. I would personally never get a first year remodel which major changes like that. I would also go for lower mileage before something thats a year or two newer just because its newer but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We bought a '15 just over a year ago... we love it. Roomy, reliable, great family vehicle. I don't really have any complaints to speak of, some people claim the hard plastics infer poor build quality but I think it's more rugged since none of the plastics seem thin or weak, they all feel durable.

That being said, my wife has been splitting time between my Traverse (I DD an old Sonata beater) and her Pilot because she does like the captain's chairs and ease of 3rd row access for my oldest. She has been relegated to the 3rd row in both vehicles because she just can't leave her sisters alone when in the 2nd row with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In y'all's honest opinion, are these vehicles a good investment? Do they still stand up to Honda's dependability and reliability? Is there a specific year/model I should be looking for/avoiding? I'm willing to ignore the 3 year/30K rule if there's a model out there built like a tank. Thanks guys.
In general, buying a vehicle is never, ever an investment because it depreciates over time (heck right after you drive off the lot). I really like my Pilot but honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd pass on the Pilot and purchase any other Honda that doesn't come equipped with the VCM system. Think 4 cylinders but I don't think that's want you're looking for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In general, buying a vehicle is never, ever an investment because it depreciates over time (heck right after you drive off the lot). I really like my Pilot but honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd pass on the Pilot and purchase any other Honda that doesn't come equipped with the VCM system. Think 4 cylinders but I don't think that's want you're looking for.
Can you not disable this in your Pilot? What year is your vehicle?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can you not disable this in your Pilot? What year is your vehicle?
Yes, somewhat - I have a VCMuzzler which mitigates some of the vibrations.

2018 Pilot.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree. We're looking at the 2015s. Do you have any experience with that model.
Only experience I have Is with a 2012 which I had before my 2018. I liked it in some ways hated it in others. Hated where the shifter was but thats a small thing. The VCM issue was the biggest thing I had happen to it but between the TSB fix and VCM muzzler It made the Issue better. Cheap plastic inside which has gotten better on the newer years. Find the car that fits your family and you feel comfortable driving and go from there.

Yes, somewhat - I have a VCMuzzler which mitigates some of the vibrations.

2018 Pilot.
I have it in my 2018 as well but not sure I feel a difference. What resistor are you using? I have the blue with the red somewhere in my shed. This its worth keeping on it in the long run? Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only experience I have Is with a 2012 which I had before my 2018. I liked it in some ways hated it in others. Hated where the shifter was but thats a small thing. The VCM issue was the biggest thing I had happen to it but between the TSB fix and VCM muzzler It made the Issue better. Cheap plastic inside which has gotten better on the newer years. Find the car that fits your family and you feel comfortable driving and go from there.

I have it in my 2018 as well but not sure I feel a difference. What resistor are you using? I have the blue with the red somewhere in my shed. This its worth keeping on it in the long run? Thanks
For me I feel a difference, (dramatically less vibrations). Had the Blue to start but then stepped up to Brown then finally landed with the RED one which seems to be the sweet spot. Since installing, I've just kept it on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since buying your Pilots, is there another 3 row vehicle of similar style you wish you would have gone with?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Since buying your Pilots, is there another 3 row vehicle of similar style you wish you would have gone with?
I worked for Toyota and am a fan. I really like the Highlander. I just liked it better overall fit and finish and all that. But it was a tad smaller and with 3 kids need all the room I can get so went with Pilot. The traverse had tons of room but as much as a GM fan I may be I don’t trust the long term reliability.

If I wasn’t concerned with price I would have a Yukon XL Denali even the Callaway If I really wanted to splurge !

Not a ford fan..I hate the door ding when its open but again smaller 3rd row. I know someone here just got one. I asked how he likes it no response yet. I got my wife a 2018 Hyundai tucson value edition and I will say I kinda like it. The ride is smoother then the Pilot and everything seems buttoned up a little nicer. Makes me wonder if I should have looked at the Santa Fe.

Hyundai does have some nice deals going on right now If you are looking at them. I got 6k off the Tucson 29.5k to 23.5 isn’t bad. The 10 year warranty is a nice bonus.

Overall pick the one that hits the mark for the things you need/want and for the things you don’t like about it see if they are things you can deal with in the long run.

If I could do it again I might strongly consider the Highlander or Santa Fe let my kids suffer with less room haha

·
Registered
617 Posts
For me I feel a difference, (dramatically less vibrations). Had the Blue to start but then stepped up to Brown then finally landed with the RED one which seems to be the sweet spot. Since installing, I've just kept it on.
Maybe Ill give the red one a try! Thanks. Now where did I put It.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But it was a tad smaller and with 3 kids need all the room I can get so went with Pilot.
My exact situation. 3 kids. My top #1 concern, even over space, interior, buttons/whistles... is the long term reliability of the vehicle. Compared to that, I couldn't care less about the other things. A close second is ease of maintenance. I do all my own car repairs.

We were actually looking at the Highlander, but saw how it had less space... But honestly, if it's a better vehicle in terms of reliability, I'd take it.

Just wish I had a life long mechanic friend that has worked on all these vehicles that could tell me which one is best. Lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
My exact situation. 3 kids. My top #1 concern, even over space, interior, buttons/whistles... is the long term reliability of the vehicle. Compared to that, I couldn't care less about the other things. A close second is ease of maintenance. I do all my own car repairs.

We were actually looking at the Highlander, but saw how it had less space... But honestly, if it's a better vehicle in terms of reliability, I'd take it.

Just wish I had a life long mechanic friend that has worked on all these vehicles that could tell me which one is best. Lol

Honestly you can’t go wrong with either one. Space is a concern I see like with me so I choose the pilot. Somethings are making me second guess my choice but overall it is a new car and can’t complain to much. Im sure it will serve me well for years to come and the Toyota would do the same. Cars suck and S*** happens but take care of all maintenance on any choice you make and it should be good. I haven’t had the pleasure of doing any repairs/maintenance on a highlander over 2013/14 since I was hurt in late 2013 but I’m sure they aren’t to bad. So far all Ive done on my Pilot is the rear diff and oil changes but both pretty easy. My 2012 was the same besides the rear diff. Had to drop the spare and It was a pain but doable. Everything Is doable with time and patience. Wish I had a life though!

There is no best Imo. Some are better then others in terms of reliablity but every car new or used can have its problems no matter what brand. Toyota or Honda are both excellent Choices. I like my wifes Hyundai they have defiantly come along way since the old days but only time will tell on the reliability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts