Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hit the 3 year mark and bingo, it's failing (how do these things know???). I couldn't believe it until I did a search on this forum and found that seems to be typical (at least in the South). Usually I get 5 years out of the batteries for other family cars (like clockwork - 5 years to the day). Although on my Element, I chucked the factory battery and box, and installed a bigger one to get those 5 years (and then it cranked over quicker than anytime the first 3 years I owned it). Which brings me to my question...

How large of a battery can I fit in the factory location? What are people successfully replacing with for more CCA and longer lasting?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
So hit the 3 year mark and bingo, it's failing (how do these things know???). I couldn't believe it until I did a search on this forum and found that seems to be typical (at least in the South). Usually I get 5 years out of the batteries for other family cars (like clockwork - 5 years to the day). Although on my Element, I chucked the factory battery and box, and installed a bigger one to get those 5 years (and then it cranked over quicker than anytime the first 3 years I owned it). Which brings me to my question...

How large of a battery can I fit in the factory location? What are people successfully replacing with for more CCA and longer lasting?
3rd Gen has a battery box with a cooling fan that the battery must fit in, so we can not deviate from the size. My Pilot had an acid filled battery, but I traded it for an AGM out of another Pilot (long story). I'd try to find as much CCA as I could. Only other thing I would caution about is some aftermarket batteries are slightly shorter and the battery box lid does not always allow the post to come up through the lid far enough for the terminal to tighten properly. If this happens, I recommend battery post shims.

·
Registered
885 Posts
What model Pilot do you have? As Nail Grease alluded, there are two different batteries used by the Pilot. The wet acid battery in everything except the Touring, Elite, and I believe Black Edition. Those use the Absorbent Glass Mat (AMG) batteries which are supposed to be better and can handle longer sitting times without recharging. They were installed in these models because of the Start/Stop system from what I have read. Now that all models have the Start/Stop I believe they all are equipped with the AGM batteries now.

I didn't realize the models with the lead batteries also use a cooling system.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
443 Posts
Many folks on the Honda Odyssey forums recommend going with an AGM battery even on models without stop/start. Not sure it's worth the extra expense, but supposedly they hold up better especially in hot climates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. folks! Had no idea about the battery cooling. My Pilot is a 2017 EX-L AWD. No stop-start (and it's the 6-speed auto). So an AGM battery might work in it's place? Are they crazy-expensive compared to lead?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've seen anywhere from 50% to 80% more expensive than the lead/acid equivalent. So, if you get an extra 2-3 years out of it the price balances out. If you've got a Costco local they usually have decent prices on batteries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen anywhere from 50% to 80% more expensive than the lead/acid equivalent. So, if you get an extra 2-3 years out of it the price balances out. If you've got a Costco local they usually have decent prices on batteries.
<2 miles away... and I am a member. Do you know if they charge to swap them out, or is it included in the price of the battery? Happy to do it myself, but it's not much more I don't mind paying them.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts