Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace my battery, 2014 Touring.

I will sometimes be in sub zero weather. Any recommendations best bang for the buck and which stores?

Prefer quality over going cheap though.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Seconding the AGM technology. Additionally, look into a battery with a higher CCA that fits.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Costco sells Interstate-branded batteries in standard flooded and AGM styles. I've had excellent results from Interstate batteries, never needed to test the warranty policy.

I'm not seeing enough extra value with AGM batteries to justify the costs. AGM seems to add about 50% above the cost of a five-plus year battery. "Investing" that extra 50% up front for possible 25% bonus-life payoff that doesn't happen for five years is, um, sucker math. In my opinion anyway.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
50% more? Maybe if you go for those crazy Optima batteries. Top of the line lead acids at NAPA are $160 with the equivalent AGM $20 to $35 more.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yeah, but... The top of line Interstate is a little over $100 at Costco, AGM $160 or so. I was looking for one of the other cars that uses Group 48/H6, and not the group 24/?? that fits the Pilot. The H6 is usually a tad more. I replaced the Pilot battery last year, when no AGM was offered in this size. Since then the display has more and more of them, but still not worth the extra $$ to me for the way I use the car. It sits on a maintainer during its mostly non-driving season (April to snow), getting used when I need a bus to carry more folks than will fit in one of the "summer" cars.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Need to replace my battery, 2014 Touring.
I will sometimes be in sub zero weather. Any recommendations best bang for the buck and which stores?
Prefer quality over going cheap though.
EverStart Maxx battery at Walmart for about $95.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I also went with the WalMart battery last time around. They had the best price and warranty at the time.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I went with the WalMart best-they-had for one of the cars that seemed not to be doing well with the Advanced Auto gold batteries. Battery history in the car averaged about six years of life over the lives of several NAPA and Advanced batteries, the last couple Advanced replaced under warranty. Installed the WalMart battery and it's at sven years now and due for replacement as the car comes out of hibernation this spring. A dufo battery ground strap was the cause of some poor charging. So all three flavors used in that car have been great, including the WalMart version. That one, incidentally was an exact physical match with the Duralast Gold from Advanved, down to weight and the casting of the case. Labels different of course.

But... The OP's question was about battery choice for easier cold-weather starting, maybe higher CCA rating. getting more capacity from the same footprint usually means a taller battery to get more plate surface area, or a tighter plate spacing in the same case. The tighter spacing shortens the available life of batteries that are allowed to dip into voltage below about 10, even for the brief period of cranking before the engine starts and charging starts. Like very cold starts with a very cold battery. Folks who live in the colder areas often have battery maintainers, battery warmers, and engine block heaters to help the engine start a little better in sub-zero conditions. Not a bad idea really. Else, shop for a taller battery with the same footprint, get longer hold-down bolts, and hope it's enough.

The spiral-wrap AGM batteries like Optima might be a good choice. They are more tolerant of the cold draw-down, and may have a higher CCA number. More expensive, but might be what is needed.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
My 2013 Pilot got 6 years on the original battery before it began to get weak. Repacked it with a Honda battery.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Did the replacement you got offer noticeably better cold-weather cranking performance?

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
I can't say it was better than when I got the vehicle as I never had any starting issues hot weather or cold weather. The vehicle is always garaged at night and the garage, while not heated it is insulated and it never gets below 40 degrees F even in the coldest weather. The vehicle always started quickly and easily.

I also work to take care of the battery properly. That is why I replaced it at 6 years. When I checked it with a load, it was not holding a load as long as had. I knew then that is was starting to go down hill.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
For the OP. If you are going to be in sub zero weather one thing to consider adding to your vehicle is a block heater. Better for your vehicles motor as well as your battery.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I've bought Interstate and had very good success. But I think Wal-Mart battery for the price is a better value. They sell so many so their always fresh.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
I've bought Interstate and had very good success. But I think Wal-Mart battery for the price is a better value. They sell so many so their always fresh.
Same with their tires. Whenever you walk by them they have that fresh-out-of-the-oven smell. Of course check date of manufacture using the DOT code.

I bought inexpensive brand tires there years ago. OK for the price.

You can pick up a jug of Valvoline Maxlife ATF while you're there enjoying the sensory euphoria of that new tire smell. Win win.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all so much for the help. A lot to digest. I dont live in that much of cold weather, im actually nomadic right now, but do plan on continuing to drive this vehicle in cold weather states during the winter for the foreseeable future, so this helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts