Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's a coincidence, but when the car would not start (not rhyme or reason to when it would or would not start), a jump always seemed to fix it. Testing showed that the battery was O.K. but my mechanic put a new one in anyway. The problem persisted. I put a remanufactured starter in and it started consistently for the past week. But today, after sitting for 1 1/2 hours with nothing left on, it would not start. Dash lights come on, I can hear the fuel pump, but no start. Got a jump that did not appear to do anything after 7-8 tries. Then we unhooked the cables and I tried one more time and it started. Is this a loose connection? Is it a coincidence that it always starts when jumped? So frustrated

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had a GMC Canyon p/u that did that.......bells, lights, buzzers all worked, but no engine crank. Turned out to be the engine immobilizer being activated by a bad ignition switch. No crank for 10 minutes......after 10 minutes it would crank/start fine. Never knew when it crank over or not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I assume that you checked all the battery, starter, and ground cables since you did the starter and the battery. That would be the first thing I would look at.

Have you ruled out the anti theft system?

What does the key symbol of the dash do when it will not start?

Does it have and aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Does it make any difference if you try to start with the gear selector in Neutral instead of in Park?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried starting it in anything other than park but I was reading a few posts about that. I will have to wait until the problem occurs again and try that. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does not have an aftermarket alarm. I'm not sure how to determine if that might be the problem. I posted a video of what happens when I turn the key. Please excuse the dashboard litter :(
I assume that you checked all the battery, starter, and ground cables since you did the starter and the battery. That would be the first thing I would look at.

Have you ruled out the anti theft system?

What does the key symbol of the dash do when it will not start?

Does it have and aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ignition was next on my list. It just seems so strange that it is sometimes a problem and other times not. But I appreciate that input! Replacing the ignition switch still would be cheaper than taking it back to the mechanic who wants to keep putting new parts into my almost 16 year old car.
I had a GMC Canyon p/u that did that.......bells, lights, buzzers all worked, but no engine crank. Turned out to be the engine immobilizer being activated by a bad ignition switch. No crank for 10 minutes......after 10 minutes it would crank/start fine. Never knew when it crank over or not.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I quickly learned you didn’t turn the motor off when gassing up or entering a car wash.:eek: Hit and miss, never knew when it would act up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The green key symbol should flash a couple of times and then go out. If it doesn’t there is a problems with the key/immobilizer. I could not tell 100% from your video but I think the green light does go out.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
Try it with your second key, assuming you have one. Does it do the same thing? That might help narrow down if it's an immobilizer chip issue. However, when I had an immobilizer issue, it would crank, but not start, so I have my doubts.

I'd check again carefully for loose, frayed or corroded cables and connections, including grounds, around your battery, alternator and starter.

Then, there's always the outside possibility you have the bad solder in your main relay.

I'd check battery, cables, alternator and fuses as suggested.

However, if none of that bears fruit, here's a possible relatively easy and inexpensive fix that might be worth trying down the line, if you don't even have fuel pressure.

It's just re-soldering a bad solder on your main relay PCB, and the only real challenge is just knowing about it and finding it.

Just throwing it out there, FWIW.

BTW, speaking of throwing, is it throwing any codes?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
In your case, which specific connection(s) did it for you? Share.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It could be the transmission range switch, they get worn out over time. To test it, if it doesn't start when it's in Park, press on the brake and shift to Neutral then start it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And the winner is....
So after many hit-and-miss attempts (I thought the spare key had fixed the problem), it seems that putting it in neutral consistently works! I had to wait for the problem to happen again so that I could test it out. But lately, I have had many opportunities.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
When you shift to park, what gear lights up on the dash? As mentioned above sounds like you should change the neutral safety switch (transmission range switch).

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Seems I'm doing a lot of agreeing with the fellow forum gurus today.
Chakras must be aligned.

Change the neutral safety switch (transmission range switch).

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
It’s because we’re not talking about engine oil or tranny fluid.😆

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts