Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Piloteers! Im new to this forum but have been reading this site for the past 2 weeks. Great info all around!!! I need advice on whether to get the EX-L or the EX-L RES. Me and my wife are going to have a baby soon(1st one) and are exicted to get the Pilot but kinda on the fence as far as getting the one with the RES. I've read here that you can get aftermarket ones and a lil cheaper than the factory installed one and are as good as the factory ones. Any advice will help us in our decision and keep up the good work!:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd go with the factory-installed one. The biggest advantage is you can control it from the dash, if you've got a little tyke in back who can't reach the controls but loves to watch their favorite Veggie Tales video. Or if you've got more than one tyke in the back, exercising control over the video is done much easier by an impartial third party (Mom or Dad).

And the remote control...jeeze. Don't let the kids use it until they're about in the second grade. I've almost thrown the remote out the window a couple of times due to arguments and screaming. Ah, the joys of parenthood in the new millenium...

Roger

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
rkpeck said:
I'd go with the factory-installed one. The biggest advantage is you can control it from the dash, if you've got a little tyke in back who can't reach the controls...

[ S N I P P E D ]
What rkpeck said is true about the RES being nicely integrated into the radio head unit, thus allowing control from the dash...

...however, keep in mind that NOT all DVDs (when you load them) have auto-play and some just sit at several menus (Choose Language, Choose Widescreen or Formatted to Fit TV, Choose {Other Stuff}) so you still need a mechanism (someone sitting in the back) to get through all of that either via the remote or the control panel on the screen itself. In other words, when you're in the front seats operating the DVD Player from the radio controls, you can't see the screen to see which option(s) you need to select...

Just some food for thought... :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats on the new baby. I guess you need to really determine how often you would use the RES to see if it is worth the cost. I have 2 kids (5 and 18 months) and chose not to purchase. 99.5% of my driving is around the neighborhood. We rarely take rides that are longer than 1/2 hour so for us it didn't make $$ sense for us to get it. I figured when we do take a long road trip, if it is that important, I will purchase one of those portable DVD players for the kids to watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hmmmmm

First, congratulations on the new baby. That is wonderful news. As for the RES, here are a couple of thoughts: (1) the baby probably won't be all that curious or excited about this new toy for at least six months and probably more like a year; (2) the previous writer is correct that you need to gauge your long-distance travel time and make sure there is enough of it to justify the RES; (3) the kid probably won't want to wear the headphones for a couple of years, which means you will be listening to a lot of Disney dialogue with no picture; and (4) when the child turns 3 or 4, you will be delighted to have the RES with headphones. The alternative is to wait a couple of years and have an aftermarket put in. We got the factory RES for our then-one and 2 1/4 year old and have been happy with the purchase.

Good luck!!

fitzkorn

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: hmmmmm

fitzkorn said:
First, congratulations on the new baby. That is wonderful news. As for the RES, here are a couple of thoughts: (1) the baby probably won't be all that curious or excited about this new toy for at least six months and probably more like a year
And the baby won't be able to see it for at least a year anyway, since he/she will need to be rear-facing that long, if not longer. ;) Which reminds me... there are several threads about carseats here, for when you need that information! :D Congratulations on your upcoming new addition.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'd go for it

I do wish I had the RES, but my kids are 7,4 and 8 mos.

Then again, 1 year will fly by and you may be regretting NOT getting it, just to keep the little one occupied once that carseat is turned around. I know what it's like to drive with a screaming baby- a disney movie to look at would be a great distraction for them, even on short trips.

Aftermarket holes in my roof would scare me, even if it was the dealer's work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats for your first baby!!! Welcome to the (soon-to-be) fatherhood. Actually, my wife is also pregnant with our second baby and is due Feb 4th. :)

I have a '03 Pilot with RES. I was debating myself before I bought it back in Feb when my daughter was one year old. I knew I could get an aftermarket DVD player with a much bigger screen for a lower cost. However, after seeing the features of the stock RES system, I decided to go with it, and I'm quite happy with my decision.

I completely agree with rekpek about having the ability to control.

For my daughter (who is 21 months old now), she cannot live without the DVD player. As soon as I put her in the car seat, she points the screnn and asks me to turn it on. I'm OK with that as long as she keeps quiet.:D For those fathers who knows how annoying it can be when a baby/infant gets fuzzy in the car, you would appreciate when their kids stay quiet.

My family and I went to Mexico, San Francisco bay area and Las Vegas after I bought the Pilot, everyone appreciated having the RES. Although my daughter was not wearing a headphone, she didn't complain because she couldn't hear the sound.;)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
congrats...we bought the pilot for the same reason you did....we went with the RES.....we plan to keep the Pilot for atleast 5 years and of those even if we use the RES for 3years (starting with the terrible twos!!) it will be money well spent IMO:eek: :cool:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: I'd go for it

74PILOTMOM said:
I do wish I had the RES, but my kids are 7,4 and 8 mos.
Being able to play movies in the car is a wonderful thing. We take a 1700 mile trip (round trip) a couple of times a year, and wouldn't survive without it (daughter is 4). Instead of RES, we use a small portable DVD player (you can buy them for less than $300 now). When I finally get my Pilot, I'm torn over whether to get RES or continue to use the portable. I'd prefer RES, but I also insist on an in-dash CD changer (I've been spoiled by my CR-V ;) ). What to do, what to do... at least I've got a year to think about it. Maybe by then Honda will have figured out how to squeeze them both in there.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: I'd go for it

tracy said:
Maybe by then Honda will have figured out how to squeeze them both in there.
with the heated seat switch there is even less space on the dash now :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I'd go for it

ramirami said:
with the heated seat switch there is even less space on the dash now :(
La la la la... I can't hear you... la la la la... :crazyeye:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your advise. Fitzkorn made a very good point as far as new born baby not being able to see and appreciate the RES. And so did all of you. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give me some pointers re: this matter.Just ordered my new midnight blue pearl Pilot and was told should be in a couple of weeks. Me and my wife can't wait for it!!!!! Thanks again fellow Piloteers!!!!

P.s.
Can someone pls. point me to the thread for installing running boards on '04 Pilots? planning to install mine myself. T.Y.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Maltese pilteer said:
Thank you all for your advise. Fitzkorn made a very good point as far as new born baby not being able to see and appreciate the RES. And so did all of you. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to give me some pointers re: this matter.Just ordered my new midnight blue pearl Pilot and was told should be in a couple of weeks. Me and my wife can't wait for it!!!!! Thanks again fellow Piloteers!!!!

P.s.
Can someone pls. point me to the thread for installing running boards on '04 Pilots? planning to install mine myself. T.Y.
Here's a link to installation instructions on lots of Pilot accessories, courtesy of hondacuraworld.com.:)

And here's a thread with links to instructions and threads, some with great photo-documentaries, of DIY installs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At the risk of offending some, I think I'd prefer to listen to my 2-year-old fuss sometimes (often?) rather than glue her to another TV screen. Don't kids get enough television as it is? How about talking with your kids? Singing with your kids? Kids can be quite charming in the car when you're (ack!) interacting with them!

For long trips I agree movies would be great, but a portable would work fine for this. If I had RES I'd be tempted to pop in a DVD every time my kid let out a peep, and I really don't want a video pacifier...

My new Pilot won't have RES.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Laguna Sol said:
For long trips I agree movies would be great, but a portable would work fine for this. If I had RES I'd be tempted to pop in a DVD every time my kid let out a peep, and I really don't want a video pacifier...
That's a good point. If we had RES, my daughter would want to watch a movie every time we got in the car, and I really don't want to do that. With our current setup, she understands that we only keep the portable in the car when we go to Grandma's. For those of you with RES - do your kids watch it all the time, or do you have any rules about saving it for longer trips? Just curious.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming addition. My little guy is almost 5 months now. Me and the wife are going planning on a X-mas Pilot, maybe I will put some lights on it .. lol. I also am tossed between getting the RES, but I think the fact that you have to get the EX-L has steerred us into the Portable DVD rather than the added cost of leather and DVD. Just my $.02 . Best of luck and have fun with the diapers !

·
Registered
365 Posts
Laguna Sol said:
At the risk of offending some, I think I'd prefer to listen to my 2-year-old fuss sometimes (often?) rather than glue her to another TV screen. Don't kids get enough television as it is? How about talking with your kids? Singing with your kids? Kids can be quite charming in the car when you're (ack!) interacting with them!

My new Pilot won't have RES.
We love our RES, but I agree it should not be a video pacifier. We have it for long trips (> 1 hour), or for overtired children, but not for every trip to the store. I think my sisters-in-law ask us to drive so THEY can watch their favorite DVD. (Ages 27 and 26!):D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts