Registered
1,545 Posts
How about the...

Fairlady ! "Hey - Nice car... what kind is it?"
Why Thank You - it's a Nissan FAIRLADY! :19: Please... :p

·
Registered
316 Posts
Love the Accord but I guess there's somthing about station wagons that make me cringe. Maybe it was the Old Country Squire Station Wagon w/ wood panels that we had when I was growing up.

Guess I'd have to see this in person, because from the pic in that article I see a cross between a stretched out late 80's early 90's Civic and a hearst.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wagons are cool

Wagons are way cool and sweet and anyone who doesn't think so is showing their age! Nothing is finer than a wagon at the drive-in or the beach with your sweetheart. Not to mention numerous other practical uses! And they look cool because nobody else drives them. The gas mileage and handling is much better without the the extra weight and drag that SUVs have. And face it, few in the U.S. _really_ need AWD or the ability to tow a 5,000 lb boat. Although everyone seems to want it.

Besides, the Pilot/Highlander and their ilk are just wagons with AWD disguised as SUVs anyway.

I say the world would be a better place with more station wagons in it!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Wagons are cool

cwg said:
And they look cool because nobody else drives them.
Uh...Yeah... "Nobody else drives them" because they DON'T look cool.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Volvo has a gorgeous station wagon that could almost make me a convert. This one, on the other hand... noop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fairlady

"Fairlady" has been the official Datsun/Nissan name for the "Z" car since they came out in 1969. I'm not sure why. Everyone else just knows them as "Z" cars, which I'm sure is what people will be calling the new Nissan "Z".

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Fairlady

cwg said:
"Fairlady" has been the official Datsun/Nissan name for the "Z" car since they came out in 1969. I'm not sure why. Everyone else just knows them as "Z" cars, which I'm sure is what people will be calling the new Nissan "Z".
Well gees! I never knew that! Learn something new everyday. :27: Always wanted a 280Z. Anyone know why they're called Fairlady? :confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'll have to see it in person to decide if it's "cool" or not, BUT I do like wagons if they are styled well. Volvo's V70 looks good in it's sportier forms. Audi wagons are just awesome. If I had not wanted something with more hauling ability, I would have gotten the A4 Avant instead of the Pilot. Let's admit it, the Pilot is a handsome SUV, but it's not gorgeous or even very interesting looking. It's just a typical SUV that isn't weird. The A4 is so sporty and well proportioned, I think it's way better looking than the Pilot. BUT, it doesn't carry as much and I'd have to avoid every pothole that i did when i had my Volvo C70. So, I picked utility and reliablity over style and sportiness.

After packing so much furniture into the Pilot....that wouldn't have fit in my bf's RX300, I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. However, if the scrunch isn't fixed soon....I may have to trade for something else. Nissan Murano? Element? Sorento?! I don't know. It's upsetting to have these problems with a Honda.

Anyway, sport wagons are cool. Mazda, Audi, VW...they all know this.

Dallas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a '76 280Z. I know I've ready the history of the "Fairlady" but cannot recall a single thing about it. I'll look through my Z-Car magazines. I tried to research it on the web, but most sites are in Japanese!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
WhiteShells said:
I own a '76 280Z. I know I've ready the history of the "Fairlady" but cannot recall a single thing about it. I'll look through my Z-Car magazines. I tried to research it on the web, but most sites are in Japanese!!
Thanks WhiteShells? Are you a Pilot owner/prospect as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI

To make a long story short...

The president of Nissan Motors Japan nicknamed the Z "Fairlady" after attending the broadway musical "My Fair Lady" while visiting the US in 1958. He thought the name would invoke an image of beauty for the car.
The president of Nissan USA didn't think the name fairlady would go over too well in the states, so they used the cars model numbers. The first "Fairlady" was sold in the US as the "Datsun 1600" in 1960.

Now we know! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sage,
I'm a pilot wannabe! I was 2 weeks away from trading in my accord for the pilot when my 16 year old brother borrowed my car and wrecked it. It wasn't his fault. (He's lucky!) I thought they would total my car out and make buying the pilot easier on me, but instead they fixed the 5K+ damaged that was done to it. My car was in the shop over 5 weeks and I'm still making trips back for adjustments. I don't know what I'm going to do! You guys scare me with some of the problems y'all have with the pilots.:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dallas said:
New photos of the Japanese/European Accord...which will become an Acura on this side of the pond. The wagon version looks pretty cool (and how many cool wagons are there these days besides VW/Audi). I doubt they will offer it here. :(

Take a peek.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=02975394

Dallas
I never quite understood why Honda stopped producing the wagon just when wagons started getting popular again.

Kind of like how I never can understand why car companies don't offer an AWD option on every model they make.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since this Accord will be an Acura, maybe they'll see the value of having the wagon since their only ulitlity vehicle is the expensive MDX.

The more choices the better.

Dallas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Honda Wagon

<i>I never quite understood why Honda stopped producing the wagon just when wagons started getting popular again. </i>

Honda still sells two wagons: the CRV and the Pilot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Honda Wagon

cwg said:
<i>I never quite understood why Honda stopped producing the wagon just when wagons started getting popular again. </i>

Honda still sells two wagons: the CRV and the Pilot.
Although the CRV is a raised, wagon-like Civic and the Pilot is a raised, wagon-like Accord/Odyssey, what I'm talking about is the Accord Wagon - the one that's low like a car.

Jetta begat Jetta Wagon
Passat begat Passat Wagon

Protege begat Protege5

Yet, Honda abandoned the regular station wagon.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If there are no cool wagons then how come when people see my 95 530iT they say "what a cool wagon"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts