Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I posted earlier about a pulley noise I heard while on an 11 hour (one way) road trip. Well, on the way home my compressor froze and shred the serpentine belt 4.5 hours from home. Luckiliy I got a temporary belt on enough to get home.

I have since replaced the AC compressor, flushed the system, replaced the condensor and all o-rings. I just had the shop fill the AC back up but they say the AC isn't kicking on.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

I did not check the fan clutch with feeler gauges before I installed it. I wouldn't think that would make a big difference since it's a brand new compressor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check the fuses and relays for the compressor clutch, its possible they are failing. If I remember correctly, to test the relay you can "borrow" from adjacent relays to see if it kicks on.

Also know that the compressor will not kick on unless there is enough refrigerant and pressure in the lines. If the shop did not fill the system with the required amount of refrigerant before checking if it kicked on, that's the case. As you are filling the system via manifold gauges, with the AC set on, the compressor clutch will only engage after a good amount has been added. It's a safe guard against running without refrigerant.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
79 Posts
I'd see if you blew a relay when your compressor FUBARed. It might be something else simple, but if you're using new stuff it should be fine unless you got a bum clutch on the new unit.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
421 Posts
Definitely check the refrigerant level with gauges & relay swap as noted also making sure all wiring is connected. Please let us know what you find. I will be tackling compressor swap in near future

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update:
I checked the relays. Both with a volt meter & by jumping 12v to them. All good.
I jumped the compressor and the clutch moves.
I noticed that the low pressure switch on the low side hose is leaking. Funny because the tech said they pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes and it didn't show any leaks. This is very noticably leaking.
New part coming today, will put it in and have the shop re-fill the freon.

I did jump the pressure switch and when I jump it, the AC condensor fan comes on. I don't see the fan clutch engage, but I'm guessing it will once I get this replaced & re-filled.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
421 Posts
Quick update:
I checked the relays. Both with a volt meter & by jumping 12v to them. All good.
I jumped the compressor and the clutch moves.
I noticed that the low pressure switch on the low side hose is leaking. Funny because the tech said they pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes and it didn't show any leaks. This is very noticably leaking.
New part coming today, will put it in and have the shop re-fill the freon.

I did jump the pressure switch and when I jump it, the AC condensor fan comes on. I don't see the fan clutch engage, but I'm guessing it will once I get this replaced & re-filled.
Thanks for keeping us posted!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts