Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone facing the issue shown in the linked video?

I bought a new 2020 pilot elite few months ago. The infotainment and speedometer screen is completely dead. This is in addition to the crackling and popping noise from the speakers.

The dealer is refusing to fix this, wants us to work with Honda USA.

Looking for advice on how to approach this problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep! Start by documenting every bit of communication between you and all parties. Look up Lemon Law I’m your state. Contact a lemon law attorney. Bought a 20 Elite in late January. Two weeks later the same issue started. My Pilot has been in the shop 6 times and the problem is recurring again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The NHTSA website contains a data base of consumer complaints, recalls and manufacture communications/TSBs. The link for the 2020 Pilot is here:
You can also file a complaint on the NHTSA website. If the failure impacts the backup camera operation, make sure your complaint states this upfront. The complaint form contains a component field where you can choose back over collision prevention. The NHTSA is the federal agency that requires manufacturers to recall vehicles for safety defects. While Infotainment systems and speedometers are not required safety equipment, the backup camera is required safety equipment. The 2018 Accord was recalled for a software problem preventing backup camera operation.

·
Registered
2019 EX AWD
56 Posts
I believe one of these 2 recent recalls will take care of your issue:

2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-439
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:T89
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2018-21 Multimodel Gauge Control Module SW Update Noncompliance
RECALL DATE:07/28/2020
RECALL STATUS:Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2018-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, increased data traffic on the central network may exceed the computing threshold of the instrument panel control module. Once exceeded, the instrument panel cannot display certain information required by FMVSS 101; Controls and Displays, such as the engine oil pressure, speedometer, and gear selector position until the next ignition cycle. An overloaded instrument panel control module also prevents the rearview camera image from displaying, which does not comply with the requirements of FMVSS No. 111; Rear Visibility.
SAFETY RISK:
Vehicle operation without a functional instrument panel or rearview camera display increases the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Please call any authorized Honda dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. Your dealer will reprogram the instrument panel control module for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER:20V-440
MFR CAMPAIGN ID:Y7Y
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION:2019-20 Multimodel Front Control Box OTA Update Noncompliance
RECALL DATE:07/28/2020
RECALL STATUS:Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling 2019-2020 model year Odyssey, 2019-2020 model year Passport, and 2019-2021 model year Pilot vehicles. Many in-cabin system interfaces are linked to a central network, including the instrument panel, display audio, and rearview camera display. Due to inappropriate software programming, several errors in the central network may occur that either delay or prevent the rearview camera image from displaying.
SAFETY RISK:
A delayed or inoperative rearview camera display does not comply with requirements of FMVSS No. 111, and can reduce the driver's view of what is behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Registered owners of all affected vehicles will be mailed instructions on how to download and install the software programming updates for free. Registered owners may also visit an authorized Honda dealer, and the dealer will update the software programming for free. For additional questions or to get help locating a dealer, owners may contact American Honda's Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, saw the bulletin. I’ll head in again.

Honda did send a tech over to the dealer. They re-ran the existing wire... now with a bit of slack. This was few months ago. I had no problems since.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yeah, saw the bulletin. I’ll head in again.

Honda did send a tech over to the dealer. They re-ran the existing wire... now with a bit of slack. This was few months ago. I had no problems since.
Great that your issue seems to be solved! I wish Honda fixed this issue much earlier, but at least they fixed it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is anyone facing the issue shown in the linked video?

I bought a new 2020 pilot elite few months ago. The infotainment and speedometer screen is completely dead. This is in addition to the crackling and popping noise from the speakers.

The dealer is refusing to fix this, wants us to work with Honda USA.

Looking for advice on how to approach this problem.

Thanks.
Lemon law try different dealership

1 - 8 of 8 Posts