Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just bought a 2012 Pilot yesterday, and after getting home noticed that the map lights seem to be behaving strangely. I don’t know if there’s a problem or the odd behavior is by design.

When the console switch is ON, all lights turn on as expected. When it is OFF, they all turn off as expected. BUT... when the switch is in the center DOOR position, they come on when a door is open, but the only ones that will turn on/off by pressing them are the driver and passenger lights in the front. There is no way to turn on/off the second or third row map lights by pressing them unless the console switch is set to ON.

Other vehicles I’ve ever had let you turn all map lights on/off by pressing them when the main switch is in the DOOR position. That’s what I expected from the Pilot, so now I’m trying to figure out if it’s messed up or if that’s the way they designed it.

Thanks I’m advance for any insight you can offer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my 2013 the middle row lights can be turned on manually, I know this because I have to be careful with my kids leaving them turned on and draining the battery.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Funny, even my 2001 Dodge Truck will turn ALL lights off, everywhere, when the truck is off and they haven't been touched for about 10 minutes.

Out Pilot (the 08 anyways), will drain the battery if the second or thrid row is left on manually!

Go figure! the 'Mericans in 01 smarter than the 'Merican, owned by Jap company in 08?

Reactions: jadzdc

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey everyone! Just bought a 2012 Pilot yesterday, and after getting home noticed that the map lights seem to be behaving strangely. I don’t know if there’s a problem or the odd behavior is by design.

When the console switch is ON, all lights turn on as expected. When it is OFF, they all turn off as expected. BUT... when the switch is in the center DOOR position, they come on when a door is open, but the only ones that will turn on/off by pressing them are the driver and passenger lights in the front. There is no way to turn on/off the second or third row map lights by pressing them unless the console switch is set to ON.

Other vehicles I’ve ever had let you turn all map lights on/off by pressing them when the main switch is in the DOOR position. That’s what I expected from the Pilot, so now I’m trying to figure out if it’s messed up or if that’s the way they designed it.

Thanks I’m advance for any insight you can offer!
This is behaving as Honda designed it. The overhead console switch when off keeps all lights off regardless of manual input except for the front reading lights right next to the switch. Basically if the kids are back there pushing the lights, you as the driver have the control to turn them off with the console switch. But, if that switch is off then none of the lights will turn on when you open any of the doors. It's definitely a "dumb" design in that it behaves like hard-wired lighting with no logic control from the BCM. In fact, it might be hard-wired....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts