Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my best Dr. Nick voice "Hi, everybody!" So I just bit the bullet & took on a new (for me) car payment and got a 2011 Honda Pilot after much research on big family vehicles that weren't minivans. Before doing so I read through about a hundred pages of forums to know what I'm getting myself into. I'm aware for the most part of common problem and potential down the road issues. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I can do most work myself which is good.

Background, it's a Carmax vehicle with 121k well maintained & documented miles on the odometer, that was a pre-req for buying the vehicle. It seems as though from a shade tree inspection that the TB etc was done @ 60k, the plugs pulled were solid, only showing appropriate age so no VCM issues yet but in the process of getting the disabler to preempt any issues. My first Honda. I had a 2011 Kia Sorento bought new and it was great till 100k when the engine blew and the factory nightmare that ensued. Fixed the head in my garage and sold the vehicle back to the dealer for a small recoupment.

First impressions are it's big inside, my 5'10" stepson can sit in the third row and have legroom! Everything else so far so good. I have a 30 day money back guarantee and given the VCM & other issues that can creep up I opted for their Maxcare. I also have a 90 day dealer warranty. I don't usually advocate extended warranties but given Hondas own extension of dealer warranty I feel that gives me a leg to stand on in case of the worse. I've been looking over the car thoroughly and have only found gremlins but I'm gonna nitpick even the littlest things that I can.

I can say that the information, timeliness of replies & overall welcoming nature of the community here really helped sway my decision with this vehicle so I hope that as I get into it, I can become a contributing member of the community!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Hello,
I'd ask what year the timing belt was done. If the owner did it 3 or 4 years after purchace, it may very well be ready for another replacement based on age (every 7 years).
My next priority would be to disable the VCM. I use S-VCM.
I would also check the condition of the transmission fluid. Does it smell musty, is it bright red or brown? If old, it would prompt me to do a 2 time drain and fill of the ATF (drive a few miles between) using full synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF, then a 3rd a month later after a few 100 miles. Regardless of the freshness, In time, I would make the move to VML ATF.
I'd check the air filter, clean the MAF and make sure the intake hose is secure. MAF sensors rarely get cleaned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, the timing belt service was done in late 2018 along with plug change. It's a 2 owner vehicle I'm actually setting aside time this weekend to flush some fluids, I get a slight shudder on idle turning so I'm gonna flush the PS and see if that helps as it looks beat. I checked the air filter and cleaned the MAF when I checked the plugs cuz I was under the hood cuz I actually had one fail on my 99 expedition. Spools good not leaking for now. The tranny fluid will be on my list now. I also came across your maintenance list, a lot of good advice for sure!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Many good Hondas have been traded in over transmission shudder. All they ever needed was a few drain and fills with VML and a VCM disabling device. 👍
Sounds like your on top of things. Glad to be of help. 😁

Reactions: CKJacen1982

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,189 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new-to-you Pilot. It sounds like you have a good grasp of the maintenance items which need attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts