Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We just bought a very well kept 2010 EX-L from a family we know, and they always dealer serviced it and kept it in the garage. It has 149K on the clock, but the price was more than fair.
In daily driving it for the last week, have noticed a couple of things that I hope that some here will have experience with.

- When the Pilot is first started, it's noisy under the hood. It sounds like one of the belt-driven components, but I can't localize it. Sound sort of like a loud "clacking" which disappears when near operating temp. I've heard valve taps and the like and it's nothing like that.

- Heat and AC only come through the dash vents. Nothing through the floor or defrost, no matter what the mode is. I'm guessing it's either the controls or the door(s) not actuating is they should. Is there a way to diagnose this without taking it to the shop? Everything else in the HVAC controls works.

That's it for now, we are really enjoying driving it. We went from a 2011 Ford Escape, and it's obvious that was a light duty vehicle after a week of driving the Honda.

Thanks for any input, much appreciated!

Tom

·
Registered
594 Posts
For the first issue, you might want to record the sound and post the video. From your short description, it kind of sounds like a timing belt tensioner. Here are some threads with links to sounds to compare against.
classic failing TB tensioner noise or something else?
2011 Honda Pilot Knocking noise only in cold starts in AM

For the HVAC issue, you might want to look at threads on the mode motor. That is the motor that moves a damper than controls the airflow. Easy to observe operation of the mode motor after you remove a couple of upper dash panels.
Vent/air mode issues (Mix Motor?)
model control motor in climate system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I did read up on both of those, after I posted my questions. My timing belt was done in 2016, about 60,000 miles ago. The tensioner is only noisy at first start up in the morning, if that's where the sound is coming from. If the tensioner is the culprit, how long can I keep driving it like that? Can it get worse or seize and snap the belt? I would assume getting worse would be noise all the time, rather than just at cold start up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks! I did read up on both of those, after I posted my questions. My timing belt was done in 2016, about 60,000 miles ago. The tensioner is only noisy at first start up in the morning, if that's where the sound is coming from. If the tensioner is the culprit, how long can I keep driving it like that? Can it get worse or seize and snap the belt? I would assume getting worse would be noise all the time, rather than just at cold start up. Thanks again!
How does the sound in the videos compare to what you are hearing?

If the tensioner is the culprit, then you are really gambling by not addressing it. Not saying you'll have a problem right away, but if you wait too long and the timing belt gets stretched, slips or breaks, then your engine could be toast. You could also check the tensioner for signs of leaking - if it is leaking that will causes problems sooner with the belt.

I would narrow down where the sound is coming from by having someone start the car and you record the sound from different locations under the hood. Listen back to the video and see where it is the loudest.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
My timing belt was done in 2016, about 60,000 miles ago. The tensioner is only noisy at first start up in the morning, if that's where the sound is coming from.
Was the tensioner replaced when the timing belt was replaced 60K miles ago?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts