Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone! 05' Pilot EX owner here. I love this truck I bought it with a blown engine and replaced the engine. Best 700$ shell investment ever.

Using truck primarily for Home Depot and outdoor activity biking camping etc. Truck drives nice and smooth.

Mods include:
19 Passport Roof Basket
Half Hood Bra
Bull Bar
And more I can't remember lol

Soon to come fog lights, and rear trailer hitch

Can't wait to see what the forum offers

·
Registered
603 Posts
Where did you find the engine, and how much?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
2005 Pilots had a tendency for the radiator to fail allowing the engine coolant and transmission fluid to mix.
Wonder if that's what blew the original engine on your Pilot?
If it still has the factory-installed radiator, you should give serious consideration to replacing it.

Check your VIN to make sure that your Pilot is up-to-date regarding recalls - especially those for the airbags.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

The Goodyear Integrity tires have inferior wet weather and winter traction.
They would be among the first things I'd want to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you find the engine, and how much?
The engine I picked up from TNT Auto in Edison through my job at Honda for $1000 after some talking down. Tbelt, drive belts, plugs and oil seals all replaced before going in.

The transmission was my true concern but so far so good it even has the trans cooler installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005 Pilots had a tendency for the radiator to fail allowing the engine coolant and transmission fluid to mix.
Wonder if that's what blew the original engine on your Pilot?
If it still has the factory-installed radiator, you should give serious consideration to replacing it.

Check your VIN to make sure that your Pilot is up-to-date regarding recalls - especially those for the airbags.
Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Honda Owners Site

The Goodyear Integrity tires have inferior wet weather and winter traction.
They would be among the first things I'd want to replace.
The radiator looked aftermarket and no signs of leaks so we left it as is. I did have to replace the thermostat recently due to a leak.

What's a good tire for my Pilot I have been wondering?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you trying to do with it? An AT tire, street tire, performance tire? Stock size, bigger?
i would love an AT tire if I could maintain the quiet ride that I have now. This is my first truck so IDK if thats even possible. I would keep the same size wheel i have now the stock 16"s

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i would love an AT tire if I could maintain the quiet ride that I have now. This is my first truck so IDK if thats even possible. I would keep the same size wheel i have now the stock 16"s
I'm not an expert on how large you can go on a 1st gen without rubbing, others can chime in or you can do some digging on the forum.

Not all AT tires are louder and not all "street" tires are quiet. I generally defer to the Tirerack ratings for tires to drive my decisions. A pretty good rule of thumb is the larger "voids" in the tire the more noise you will get, but AT tires have come a long way and some do a pretty good job even with aggressive tread (KO2s for example).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not an expert on how large you can go on a 1st gen without rubbing, others can chime in or you can do some digging on the forum.

Not all AT tires are louder and not all "street" tires are quiet. I generally defer to the Tirerack ratings for tires to drive my decisions. A pretty good rule of thumb is the larger "voids" in the tire the more noise you will get, but AT tires have come a long way and some do a pretty good job even with aggressive tread (KO2s for example).
thanks im looking now and see many here recommend the General AT20 and Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Just a WAG here, but perhaps someone's timing belt misfortune became your good fortune. Welcome to the forum. Keep them pics coming.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
im looking now and see many here recommend the General AT20 and Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15.
Yokohama offers a 30-day trial period during which you can get a full refund if the tires prove to be unsatisfactory.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/yokohama-photos/30-Day Trial/1911-ytc-cons-30daytrial-productcard-final.PDF

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have the Geolandar A/T tires on my wife’s Pilot and we have been happy with them. They are not too noisy and they offer good traction in rainy conditions.

Reactions: BadgersGoldPilot
1 - 14 of 14 Posts