Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EXL-Navi
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now the owner of an 05 exl navi that was a gift from my mother. Vehicle was well cared for, but I do have one slight issue. The navigation system is so out of date, and I am not sure if updating it would be worth it. Is there a way to remove the navigation system and either put the stock radio in its place? or would it be a better idea to swap in an android head unit? I also considered leaving the space empty for a possible tablet install. is this a good idea? any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If I were to replace the stereo/navigation system in one of my vehicles I definitely would not revert back to the stock/factory setup. Check out the Crutchfield site to give you ideas of what options exist.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
If I picked up a first gen pilot owner, I wouldn't hesitate to remove the stock unit and replace it with a double din sized bluetooth and carplay/AA capable unit. Plenty of threads here on installations. Crutchfield is a great resource for parts. If your car has the rear camera set up that some people added you may be able to incorporate that into the head unit.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Best way to go would be:
Remove both audio and nav units.
Replace audio unit with a storage pocket (for LX or EX model)
Replace nav unit with a double DIN aftermarket head that supports Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Unlike later Pilot models, head unit swap is very straightforward.

You would also need an adapter module for steering wheel controls.
If you do not want to lose factory subwoofer, you will need a small amp for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best way to go would be:
Remove both audio and nav units.
Replace audio unit with a storage pocket (for LX or EX model)
Replace nav unit with a double DIN aftermarket head that supports Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. Unlike later Pilot models, head unit swap is very straightforward.

You would also need an adapter module for steering wheel controls.
If you do not want to lose factory subwoofer, you will need a small amp for it.
that's a great idea. my funds are a bit limited, so the storage pocket would probably be the easiest option. i just got into the head unit today and noticed one small issue. the connectors for the head unit will not stretch up and go to the new location up where the nav is. is there an easy way to make that happen?

·
Registered
744 Posts
To install a new head, you will be making a harness. The new unit will include a connector with wires, and you will need one of these:

(If you buy from Crutchfield they include the harness and brackets free)

With luck, harness will be long enough to reach. If not, you might need to get some additional wire to extend it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To install a new head, you will be making a harness. The new unit will include a connector with wires, and you will need one of these:

(If you buy from Crutchfield they include the harness and brackets free)

With luck, harness will be long enough to reach. If not, you might need to get some additional wire to extend it.
will i have to buy the harness adapter if I want to keep the stock head unit? that is the angle i am leaning more towards. move the stock head unit to where the nav is, then find the storage pocket from the lx or ex model to put in the hole where the hu originally sat. im assuming that i will have to get into the dash to try and free up the harness so it can be moved up to the nav site when i put the stock hu in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Vehicle harnesses are a complex thing. The bit that connects to the audio unit is likely just a short branch from the primary harness, and your chances of moving that successfully are quite slim.
You can extend it by cutting each individual wire and then adding a length of wire in between, either via crimp connectors or soldering + heatshrink. And you would need to do it for all connectors. Not an easy task. If you are not updating to a new head, I would just leave the things the way they are/where they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts