Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around tacking these pesky Pilot oil leaks around the timing belt and found when seems like an oil geyser. I've never seen this before on the car and have no clue what it could be. Cracked head? Bad headgasket? Anyone have any ideas what this possibly could be and how to fix it? Location is near tensioner and tensioner pulley and right below rear engine exhaust manifold.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Pipe

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Finally got around tacking these pesky Pilot oil leaks around the timing belt and found when seems like an oil geyser. I've never seen this before on the car and have no clue what it could be. Cracked head? Bad headgasket? Anyone have any ideas what this possibly could be and how to fix it? Location is near tensioner and tensioner pulley and right below rear engine exhaust manifold.
View attachment 161541
View attachment 161540
There're gaskets between the block and the oil filter tube housing, one at the solenoid attached to the same housing, these gaskets have and the timing belt tensioner to the block.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Font Auto part Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

Is the head gasket #6 on this diagram? I'm guessing this is what I may need to replace since the oil seems to be leaking out of the crack between the top and bottom block. Although if the headgasket was bad, I would have thought to see some coolant leaking or at least white smoke out tail pipe or something, unless my diagnosis is wrong and it isn't a head gasket...

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,121 Posts
View attachment 161560
View attachment 161559

Some more hopefully helpful photos for those that may know what the issue is.
It’s my opinion that there is more than one specific oil leak here. My thoughts on the geyser is the oil hole gasket behind the oil pump has failed.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
I’d consider an oil pump oil pan reseal that includes the oil filter housing gasket.
Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d consider an oil pump oil pan reseal that includes the oil filter housing gasket.
My oil pump, oil pan, and valve cover gaskets were done less than 20 thousand miles ago with those areas looking clean. Oil filter housing will have a new gasket on it and replaced when cause of issue is found; there was no leaking around the old spool valve gasket either. My issue seems unlike most common oil leak problems.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
My oil pump, oil pan, and valve cover gaskets were done less than 20 thousand miles ago with those areas looking clean. Oil filter housing will have a new gasket on it and replaced when cause of issue is found; there was no leaking around the old spool valve gasket either. My issue seems unlike most common oil leak problems.
It’s my opinion that that they failed at sealing up the oil pump or didn’t do it at all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s my opinion that that they failed at sealing up the oil pump or didn’t do it at all.
I personally resealed those components as well as did the timing belt replacement service. At that time I also verified with my thermal camera for any leaks and did not find any near the oil pump.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
I personally resealed those components as well as did the timing belt replacement service. At that time I also verified with my thermal camera for any leaks and did not find any near the oil pump.
Ok.
After studying the top picture further, there is oil on the timing belt tensioner pulley which bolts to the water pump. The only way that I know of that oil can be here is if the cam seal is leaking. Assuming that the top timing belt cover has it’s rubber seals protecting it from a valve cover leak.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok.
After studying the top picture further, there is oil on the timing belt tensioner pulley which bolts to the water pump. The only way that I know of that oil can be here is if the cam seal is leaking. Assuming that the top timing belt cover has it’s rubber seals protecting it from a valve cover leak.
Does a cam seal leak that bad? Inside the timing covers, there was a ton of oil. Also the bottom of the frame was caked in oil, leading me to believe that there was a ton of oil leaking out at massive volumes.

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Does a cam seal leak that bad? Inside the timing covers, there was a ton of oil. Also the bottom of the frame was caked in oil, leading me to believe that there was a ton of oil leaking out at massive volumes.
I’ve never had one leaking, so I can’t say.
I just remembered another way oil can leak under the cover, is around oil pump bolts if they were not sealed during the oil pump reseal job.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

1 - 17 of 17 Posts